Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2020, 09:37 AM
navybowhunter
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Slings.....Options

This is absolutely not meant to discount the GI Web sling. If you are happy with that, absolutely continue to use one.

But.....if your interested in whether or not a leather 1907 sling, or other type sling may work better for you....read on.

I'm dabbling my feet into NRA "Match Rifle". Match rifles allow the use of a "match sling".

I tried a match sling out this past weekend and absolutely loved it.

Small Bore shooters use a match sling.

The way I rig my 1907 sling, is very similar to a match sling, as it is a no pulse setup. But, it does leave a loop on my arm, where a match sling does not.

Match slings are also a bit wider.....and the cuff belt that goes on the arm is significantly wider.

I gave up on the web slings after learning how to rig a leather 1907 sling into a no pulse config (I have a post in here on that).

I used an Eric Hollis match sling this weekend and this is what I found.

VERY easy and repeatable to get the cuff on the arm. It is so simple....., it is also very simple to attach the sling to the front swivel. Many match rifle shooters simply leave the front swivel attached to the sling and "clip in" when the prep period starts. This leaves significantly more time for dry firing in prep.

NO pulse seen/translated to the rifle from that wider match sling.

If you are shooting a centerfire rifle in AS, a match sling can help.

I think it may be a bit too long for the 10/22, I have not tried to sling up with a match sling and a 10/22 yet.

You can check out what it looks like here (You will need a wider sling swivel).

http://www.erichollisllc.com

Figured I would share, as I was extremely impressed.

R/
Chris
Old 02-04-2020, 03:18 PM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Can you post a link to your no pulse thread?
Thanks

Matt
Old 02-05-2020, 06:21 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
Can you post a link to your no pulse thread?

Thanks

Matt
I need to upload that to YouTube. Try this link

https://youtu.be/lN96bN3qFa0

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last edited by navybowhunter; 02-05-2020 at 06:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2020, 06:35 AM
mals9
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That worked. Thank you.

Mals
Old 02-05-2020, 06:48 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mals9 View Post
That worked. Thank you.

Mals

Great!

I uploaded that to YouTube:
https://youtu.be/lN96bN3qFa0

That config has worked great for me (and many others) for the past few years.

It will work with any 1907 sling, as is very easy and simple to get it on and adjust if needed once it is on.

A note on leather slings with reference to AS....

A glove is almost a must when using a leather sling. The glove will protect your hand from the tightness of the sling.

High Power rifle rules allow the use of a specialty shooting glove, so we wear them.

CMP Rimfire Sporter does not allow the use of a specialty shooting glove. They do however allow the use of a standard work glove.

I use a Mechanix type glove and my daughter uses a Volleyball glove. They both serve the purpose of protecting the hand from the sling.

R/
Chris
Old 02-05-2020, 11:03 AM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have used and continue to use both a USGI web sling and a model 1907 leather sling.

The USGI web sling is remarkably effective considering how inexpensive it is. Those who do not feel able to fork over enough cash for a good quality leather sling need not feel that they will be at any real disadvantage.

Having said that, I do prefer the model 1907 leather sling when used as a loop sling for several reasons. One is the ease with which the sling can be readjusted in a repeatable fashion for different sling lengths and tensions to fit different rifles and different firing positions. Yes, I know that a loop sling offers and infinite range of length adjustments and they can be marked with a Sharpie to try to make adjustments for different shooting positions repeatable, but if you try to use the same sling on different rifles (which will probably have swivels in slightly different positions) you might wind up with a confusing array of Sharpie marks.

Secondly, the leather sling seems to provide a bit more secure and comfortable grip on my support arm than the web sling does. I can't honestly say that factor improves my accuracy with the leather sling, but I figure if it feels better and I think it is better, it probably does to some extent.

Third, the USGI leather sling, with its short and long straps, can be configured in a no-pulse configuration. I use a Ron Brown sling rigged in a no-pulse configuration he illustrates on his website. I use this sling with different rifles, some of which use conventional sling swivels and some of which have the push-button quick release type sling swivels and sockets. It is very easy to use either a spring steel J hook (as comes on the butt stock end of the USGI web sling) or a quick-release push button swivel on the fore-end portion of the sling to suit whichever rifle I am shooting, and it is quite easy to switch from one to the other.

I leave the loop on my support arm between Stages 2, 3, and 4 and simply snap onto the rifle at the line with the J clip hook or the push button swivel. Of course, that can also be done with the USGI web sling. Having the sling on your support arm also allows you to adjust the loop position and tension on your arm, and the length between the sitting and prone stages if you need to, before the prep period begins.

For standing, if I use a sling I use the USGI sling in the hasty configuration. Once rigged in a no-pulse configuration, the leather loop sling cannot be quickly transitioned back to a hasty sling configuration. I do not find that the leather sling offers any advantages over the web sling when used as a hasty sling. But I am also not convinced that use of a hasty sling is beneficial for standing shooting for me personally and I am trying to get away from it. I suspect that the hasty sling is at least moderately beneficial for the majority of shooters in the standing position, but I know some very good off-hand shooters who say that they shoot better, or at least no worse without a sling as they do using a hasty sling.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:44 AM
navybowhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pblanc View Post
I have used and continue to use both a USGI web sling and a model 1907 leather sling.

The USGI web sling is remarkably effective considering how inexpensive it is. Those who do not feel able to fork over enough cash for a good quality leather sling need not feel that they will be at any real disadvantage.

Having said that, I do prefer the model 1907 leather sling when used as a loop sling for several reasons. One is the ease with which the sling can be readjusted in a repeatable fashion for different sling lengths and tensions to fit different rifles and different firing positions. Yes, I know that a loop sling offers and infinite range of length adjustments and they can be marked with a Sharpie to try to make adjustments for different shooting positions repeatable, but if you try to use the same sling on different rifles (which will probably have swivels in slightly different positions) you might wind up with a confusing array of Sharpie marks.

Secondly, the leather sling seems to provide a bit more secure and comfortable grip on my support arm than the web sling does. I can't honestly say that factor improves my accuracy with the leather sling, but I figure if it feels better and I think it is better, it probably does to some extent.

Third, the USGI leather sling, with its short and long straps, can be configured in a no-pulse configuration. I use a Ron Brown sling rigged in a no-pulse configuration he illustrates on his website. I use this sling with different rifles, some of which use conventional sling swivels and some of which have the push-button quick release type sling swivels and sockets. It is very easy to use either a spring steel J hook (as comes on the butt stock end of the USGI web sling) or a quick-release push button swivel on the fore-end portion of the sling to suit whichever rifle I am shooting, and it is quite easy to switch from one to the other.

I leave the loop on my support arm between Stages 2, 3, and 4 and simply snap onto the rifle at the line with the J clip hook or the push button swivel. Of course, that can also be done with the USGI web sling. Having the sling on your support arm also allows you to adjust the loop position and tension on your arm, and the length between the sitting and prone stages if you need to, before the prep period begins.

For standing, if I use a sling I use the USGI sling in the hasty configuration. Once rigged in a no-pulse configuration, the leather loop sling cannot be quickly transitioned back to a hasty sling configuration. I do not find that the leather sling offers any advantages over the web sling when used as a hasty sling. But I am also not convinced that use of a hasty sling is beneficial for standing shooting for me personally and I am trying to get away from it. I suspect that the hasty sling is at least moderately beneficial for the majority of shooters in the standing position, but I know some very good off-hand shooters who say that they shoot better, or at least no worse without a sling as they do using a hasty sling.
The hasty sling absolutely provides stellar support in the standing position. Probably why its use is forbidden in competition.

I can absolutely shrink my hold considerably using a hasty sling.

Add wind, not the wind that pushes the bullet, but the wind that pushes the shooter and the hasty sling shines again.

But.... because it is a handicap to score, I do not use one, the only exception being Appleseed, or a hunting scenario.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2020, 01:58 PM
pblanc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The hasty sling improves accuracy for standing shooting for you, and as I said, probably for most.

But I personally know shooters with extensive experience who have told me they do better shooting standing without a sling.

Here is an article from one blogger who compared his accuracy with and without a sling:

https://artoftherifle.com/hasty-slin...if-at-all.html

Take a look at the comments . I have been trying to improve my standing accuracy by doing a lot of dry fire practice with and without a sling. I am finding that I am experiencing the same thing that one of the commentators noted. Namely that the hasty sling might reduce the overall size of my "wobble zone" but the sling increases the speed of the wobble, making timing of the trigger break more difficult.

The author of the blog in response to one of the comments also refers to the use of a cross-body tactical type of sling and notes that it seems to work in a different fashion than the usual hasty configuration and that it seemed to provide greater stability, at least for rapid follow-up shots, than the hasty sling does. I use a sling of this type for carbine courses and have also found that with a far forward (on the hand guard) and a rear sling anchor point on the butt stock, when used somewhat in the fashion of a hasty sling by looping the support hand over the sling, I can achieve better stability than with a traditional hasty sling.

Here's an old Jeff Cooper article extolling the virtues of a Ching-like sling in which he makes the comment: "There was the military loop sling, there was the "hasty" sling, and there was the carrying strap. The loop gave support, but it was slow to get into. The hasty did nothing for shooting except get the leather out of the way."

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...-way-to-sling/

So I guess the hasty sling didn't help out Jeff Cooper much for standing shooting.

What works best for one does not necessarily apply to all.

Last edited by pblanc; 02-05-2020 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2020, 04:50 PM
FiremanBob
Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here is an excellent article from the Appleseed Newsletter about shooting in the standing position:

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=49479.0