Housework, then and now. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2020, 01:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Housework, then and now.

I was listening to a guy on the radio talking about how much time was spent on housework in 1900 as opposed to now. Seems that it hasn't changed much.

"...it appears that the combined hours devoted to home production by all household members have remained relatively constant since 1900."

https://www.nber.org/digest/oct08/w13985.html

I was surprised that cleaning appliances we have today haven't reduced the time spent. What they've done is changed our standards of what's acceptable as far as cleanliness goes. People in 1900 mostly had to live in what we would consider filthy conditions today.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:45 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
"People in 1900 mostly had to live in what we would consider filthy conditions today." Agreed for most part. Non conditioned air (no A/C) meant windows were open and screen door openings allowed airborne dust to invade the home confines. Wall to wall carpet - nope, hard floors, with area rugs which had to be taken out and beat to release the dust. Mud rooms, anterooms at door entries was where shoes were removed so as to avoid tracking in extra dirt.

A different time indeed.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:53 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can't stop dust getting in the house. Impossible to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2020, 09:55 AM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We're "done" with wall to wall carpet. What's old is new again!
Old 01-15-2020, 12:50 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In the 1900s, there was no such thing as a leaf-blower....
Old 01-16-2020, 09:18 AM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Remember when the "weedeater" was me down on my knees with an Old Hickory knife and a yard rake around the house and the fence. At least the job lasted a long time.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:33 AM
TripleC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of my chores was taking out the trash and then BURNING it in our 55 gal trash can in the alley. Dad would rake and burn the cotton trash, in the bar ditch in front of the house, that blew off the trailers when they came to one of the three cotton gins located IN TOWN! No more of either of these in the old hometown.
Old 01-16-2020, 02:21 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleC View Post
One of my chores was taking out the trash and then BURNING it in our 55 gal trash can in the alley. Dad would rake and burn the cotton trash, in the bar ditch in front of the house, that blew off the trailers when they came to one of the three cotton gins located IN TOWN! No more of either of these in the old hometown.
Here either I discovered when firemen arrived when I was burning some black smoking styrofoam 20 yrs ago. "Al, what are you doing?" I knew half of em by their first names 20 yrs ago.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:16 PM
NWFRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
We're "done" with wall to wall carpet. What's old is new again!
This is true on so many levels. We're back to ordering our goods out of the Woolworths catalogue. We carry our time pieces in our pockets again. The "open concept" house is back in style. Gas appliances are all the rage. People bring their own tote-bags to the grocery store. My big question is this: in an age of proper childhood nutrition, WHY can't we get away from this back-breakingly low 36" kitchen countertop height? I need a chiropracter after I've finished rinsing dishes. 😞
Old 01-16-2020, 03:53 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWFRS View Post
This is true on so many levels. We're back to ordering our goods out of the Woolworths catalogue. We carry our time pieces in our pockets again. The "open concept" house is back in style. Gas appliances are all the rage. People bring their own tote-bags to the grocery store. My big question is this: in an age of proper childhood nutrition, WHY can't we get away from this back-breakingly low 36" kitchen countertop height? I need a chiropracter after I've finished rinsing dishes. 😞
And cars made for those 5'10" and mostly less.
Feeble thread drift attempt.
Old 01-16-2020, 04:45 PM
Zorba
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The "open concept" house is back in style.
Now *THAT* I didn't know - my wife and I dislike open floor-plans, despite the chirping over them one hears on HGTV. You can't zone heat or cooling, and worse, they're NOISY. I always hearkened back to the Victorian floorplans where you had walls AND DOORS between rooms and areas.
We utterly DETEST stainless steel appliances - and managed to avoid them until our current home. Bought a new refrigerator and microwave, and re-skinned the dishwasher (with black) to get rid of it.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
WHY can't we get away from this back-breakingly low 36" kitchen countertop height? I need a chiropracter after I've finished rinsing dishes. 😞
And WHY can't we put the cabinets above those counters ANYWHERE except 3" from my nose?