Offhand Technique Reference Material - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-03-2015, 11:42 AM
Fuzzy Limey
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Send a message via Yahoo to Fuzzy Limey

Entered in error

Last edited by Fuzzy Limey; 03-03-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:49 AM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Hi, WAI ... well ... answering first questions first !

Somehow, like most of my rifles, they're never really "finished" ... often undergoing major changes in configuration as the the time and needs demand. BUT ... here's what it looked like as of an hour or so ago. Right now the original CZ tangent sights are back on, and the rifle is being prepared for the first CMP Rimfire Sporter match of the '15 season. As you can see, the forearm has been lengthened considerably and the barrel bedded full length, in lieu of the earlier muzzle vibro-damper. The earlier butt-plate has been replaced by a home-made birch ply and WallyWorld flip-flop sole unit. The cheek-piece has also seen major re-contouring to accomodate the lower sighting line of the CZ sights as opposed to that of the TechSights unit. The hollowing out has been carried to to a much deeper arrangement to ensure corrrect - and constant face positioning - with an essentially erect head.

The Future ... ? Well at the moment I'm busy working on a palm rest, to be used in conjunction with either the TechSight, a Williams FP-GR or a Walther rear sight and either the TS, or one of several possible globe-type front sights from the junk box. This will fit it better for the RFC Offhand Iron sight matches where I figure I'll need all the help I can get - lol !

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

Last edited by Fuzzy Limey; 03-03-2015 at 11:58 AM.
Old 03-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Hmmm ! Now for the second question ... changes to the rifle and stance !

Without knowing/seeing you in person, and not knowing what type of competition is involved, as a coach, this poses a question virtually impossible to answer. However ... certain generalities can be considered.

Firstly the rifle itself. If Offhand is the only event under consideration, then it should be configured for just that mode. If for 3- or 4-P events - and it is not a full-fledged modern match rifle with every conceivable part adjustable - then any changes to the rifle should favour performance in the Offhand mode, BUT without adversely affecting shooting performance in the other positions. You comment on shortening the LOP ... in general, a good idea for the Offhand stance in that it reduces the forward mass moments. Similarly, you may want to add mass to the butt area - ( drill or rout internal cavities) - to try to get the CG at the approximate forearm support point.

First and foremost the rifle must fit you "like a glove" and allow you to stand in a perfectly erect, yet relaxed posture ... it must allow your dominant eye to line up perfectly with the fitted sights. In general I have found that virtually every "standard" rifle manufactured today forces the shooter to incline his head laterally to the Right - (Cack-handed shooters read LEFT !) - this in turn forms an impediment to ones' natural sense of balance. Sooo ... unless this is a priceless heirloom whittle out a hollow for your cheeks !

Stance ! There is NO "one size fits all" stance ...it is a individual thing ... Period ! BUT ... there are fairly standardised "starting points".

Feet shoulder-width apart ... toes point at "5 minutes to 1"- or - "5 minutes past 11" - take your pick - lol ! A line through the toes should point directly to the target. Body absolutely upright, and fully relaxed "downwards, with head erect and eyes facing the target. ... knees straight but NOT locked !

Now have someone add the rifle to this picture. Does your dominant eye line up exactly with the sights WITHOUT you changing your posture ... if not, go back to Paragraph 3 ! If Yes, then where are sights/rifle pointing ? If to the left or right of the target, then move the rear foot to bring it in line laterally. High or Low ? Several possibilities ... move the rear foot in or out ... change the hand position on the forearm ... use a different "hand-hold", ( open palm, back of knuckles on clenched fist, extended finger tips, etc, etc ).

When you think you have it about "perfect" close your eyes for a few seconds and check your sights again. Stlll centred on that elusive Bull ? Good ... you're all set for the next Olympics ! 99.9% of the time though it doesn't happen that way, soooo ... what next ?

Possibilities ... a little rearward arch in the small of the back ... a trace of lateral lean to the Right, (Cack-handers LEFT !) ... re-orient the feet, ( turning the Right foot slightly anti-clockwise adds stability - and in my own case I tend to also point the Left foot directly towards the target ).

Then one must consider the weather ! A "perfect stance" is fine for formal Olympic competition, with indoor, windless ranges, special clothing, etc, etc ! BUT ... for most of us we face blustery winds, varying temperatures and rain i our typical Club-style competition. So be prepared to adapt to those conditions. Wind pushing you about a bit ? Then a more aggressive stance, like a shot-gunner, may be indicated ... see the pic of myself at Perry shooting in a 35-45 mph storm in 2006(?) ... or bundled up for cold weather Silhouette practice.

Hope these notes help a bit

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey

Last edited by Fuzzy Limey; 03-03-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 AM
BlueTooFew

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"Off Hand Rifle Shooting" by H.M. Pope

I found this today when looking into the palm rest that I saw Neil was using.

http://www.issa-schuetzen.org/off-ha...-shooting.html
Old 06-01-2015, 06:42 PM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
A while back someone enquired as to the configuration of my various "butt-props" that I use as prosthetics for Offhand shooting. The original one was my late Fathers' old English Shooting stick ... a beautiful hand-crafted device in Stainless Steel and tooled leather. It proved to be too low to allow me to simulate a full upright standing stance.

It was followed by a relatively crude "taller" unit made of 1x2 pine ... more sophisticated versions followed. Then came the VA walking cane with a piece of kids' "pool wand" glued to the bent handle section. Best idea so far as of a year ago.

A two-legged device made from a wooden top with two cut-off modern Wally World canes then followed, but tended to twist around the feet too much. Next came the VA cane again with a bicycle saddle mounted to the handle. The latest, Mk.VI design reverts to a single, shortened Wally World cane, with the bicycle saddle on top. At maximum height it permits a fully upright stance ... or in a lowered position, the equivalent of a one-legged milking stool.

Mick - The Fuzzy Limey
Old 08-05-2015, 10:02 AM
Fuzzy Limey

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Was doing a little browsing through some of my "old" reference materials this morning, seeking out additional stuff to add to my "Fuzzy-Ade" coaching DVD.

Here's the link to an article written a couple of years back with regard to a favourite topic of mine ... the superiority of women shooters. It's a little "glossy or flowery" in its' presentation, but there's a wealth of information on the psychology of what makes any superior target rifle shooter ... material that has sub-consciously governed much of my own earlier competitive shooting career.

http://www.roopstigo.com/reader/stra...e-rifle-range/

Fuzzy
Old 10-28-2015, 08:18 AM
bberg7794

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Article in current Shooting Sports USA

Hi All,

There is an article in the current edition of Shooting Sports USA that has some good general suggestions for improving shooting, including offhand.

http://www.ssusa.org/articles/2015/1..._campaign=1015

Enjoy,

Brian
Old 11-17-2015, 01:17 PM
neilage66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTooFew View Post
I found this today when looking into the palm rest that I saw Neil was using.

http://www.issa-schuetzen.org/off-ha...-shooting.html
Thanks for posting the link.
That's interesting stuff from old Harry and he should know.

My palm rest is affixed all the way back on the rail, near the trigger guard.
It rests on the heel of my hand and my elbow is partially supported by my midriff.
I feel *tucked and tight* when doing this with my leather coat on.
For better or worse, this seems to help with comfort, endurance and my scores.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:18 AM
C. Opalewski

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was using this earlier today to help fine tune some things and thought you guys might like it also. It's a pretty solid overview of what a standing position should be with or without the coat and pants. The pictures help explain the basics and geometry behind the position. Obviously slight changes would have to be made depending in height, weight, and styles of rifles being used. Although you should try your best to make the gun fit you and not the other way around. A poorly fitted rifle creates muscle tension and as the article shows that is less than desirable.

The lady pictured is Ivana Maksimovic of Serbia, one of the very top shooters in the world right now in both air rifle and smallbore.

http://www.issf-sports.org/theissf/a...ing/rifle.ashx

Charlie

Last edited by C. Opalewski; 01-17-2016 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:15 PM
C. Opalewski

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't know why I just remembered this but I said awhile ago that I would move this post to this section.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bberg7794 View Post
Can you expand a little on what you would do to work on NPA? Can you describe your fundamentally sound shot procedure and especially your pre-shot mental checklist?
Shot procedures and checklists will vary slightly from person to person depending on their individual strengths and weaknesses. My shot process for the standing position is broken down into 10 parts. Other people may have more or less depending on what works best for them and how well they can concentrate on them. Every shooter should play around and experiment with different approaches to the shot until they find out what works best for them. I recommend a notebook to keep track of changes to position, rifle, etc. to help keep track of what works and what doesn't. If you make a change try to stick with it for at least 3 practice sessions to see if it makes a positive change to your scores.

Here is my shot plan:

1. Get into position or mount the rifle if already in position. I check to make sure that I put my elbows, hands, shoulders, etc. in the same place as the previous shot.

2. Take steady breaths while allowing my muscles to relax, particularly my back and thighs.

3. Pre-aim by looking over the top of the rear sight to ensure that I am aligned with my target and to allow my eyes to adjust to the light levels downrange.

4. Close my eyes and check balance. I do this mainly by paying attention to my toes. If I can feel my toes lifting or pressing against the top of my boots then my balance is incorrect and I need to rebuild my position to bring it forward. If I feel my toes pressing into the ground then my balance is shifted forward and I rebuild my position to bring it back over my heels.

5. Settle my head into the cheekpiece of the rifle. This should be a very small movement that only serves to position the eye from just above the rear sight to directly behind it. Approximately 1/2" to 1" of movement. The amount of movement will vary according to the shooter's position and rifle fit. My rifle fits me well enough that it is more or less a rotation of the head than an actual drop. If the above steps were completed correctly, then my eye should already be behind the rear sight with proper sight alignment.

6. Aim at the bull that I want to shoot.

7. Check NPA by closing my eyes and rechecking balance while continuing to calmly breathe. I also try to visualize what a perfect shot will look like during this step. I then open my eyes to see where the gun is aiming. If the NPA is good then the sight picture will look correct and I move on to the next step. If not, I return to step 1 and assess what needs to be changed in order to correct my NPA.

8. I hold my breath and begin to apply steady pressure to the trigger. I shoot a two stage trigger so I get the trigger to the second stage as I settle into the black.

9. I release the shot as soon as possible after acquiring correct sight picture. If this takes longer than about 10 seconds, I put the rifle down and start back at number 1. Overholding and trying to force the shot never works. Try as hard as you want but that sight movement isn't going to get any better.

10. After the shot breaks, follow through and watch the sights movement from the recoil. If the sight goes straight up and then back down and resettles on the bull then my natural point of aim is confirmed as good and it can be called as a ten. If the sight is off target, I can call the shot as a 9,8,7 etc. in the direction that the sight has moved. This takes about 5-10 seconds and I consider it my follow-through.

If I cannot complete and of the steps I restart the whole process all over again. Number 9 is my biggest problem. I have a hard time rejecting a shot thinking that I can turn it into a good shot. It never works. I almost always end up calling it a low ten or nine.

Charlie
Old 10-18-2016, 07:34 PM
Mark75H
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a good procedure. Olympic champions blow off a huge number of start/attempts and start over. I have the actual percentage in my notes from NRA Coaching school.

This is the way world champions outshoot everyone else.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:09 AM
tmont
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
adjustable iris front and rear sights

Good morning all.

I have recently joined your group of folks standing up and “shooting like a natural born man” (my definition of offhand). Spent the last couple of years playing on the bench shooting an Anschutz 1807 which is actually a 3P gun and more suited to the 3P discipline. I shot rimfire 3P as a young man and have enjoyed returning to learn all the new techniques and equipment utilized today. Now if I could only get my 66-year-old body in some of those positions……...

The rifle came with a nice basic 18mm front globe and fixed rear aperture Anschutz sight system. Several quite successful shooters in the bench section gave me great guidance on improving those sights, especially for those of us seniors who find our eyesight becoming more and more challenged.

I was sharing some of that information with our organizer Bob and he though some of you might also be interested. So humbly recognizing many of you may be far more experienced than I, here is the system I have landed on and found very helpful shooting irons from 25 to 100 yards.

First, I replaced the rear sight fixed aperture with an adjustable iris which allows me to open or close down the rear aperture as light conditions and target dictate that particular day. This made a tremendous impact on front sight focus. Basically I open the iris up to something over 2 or so and then stop it down until the front sight “jumps” into focus…..and it really does just that when you find the right setting for your particular situation that day. Many of you may be familiar with the Merit adjustable iris that you can stick on your shooting eye glasses lens….same principle.

Secondly, I replaced the 18mm front globe with a larger 22 mm front globe which allows in more light for the front sight aperture.

Thirdly, I installed an adjustable front iris which is glass and not the plastic inserts I was using in the 18mm globe. Vast improvement. I chose the iris without any crossbars so I have a really sharp front aperture I think is called the “floating doughnut”. This adjustability allows me to resize the aperture to whatever target/distance I may be shooting that day.

Here are the three items I purchased:

Gehmann front iris clear (2.9-4.9mm) for 22mm globe front sight ($100)
AHG (made by Centra) 22mm swing front globe, item ($60)
Anschutz rear iris (0.8-2.2mm) ($64)

Hope this will be of value, and holler if you have any additional questions.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:52 PM
pak29

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's an excellent, detailed, technical description of the offhand position from the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) webpage... that at least two people above posted. Never mind! :O)

Last edited by pak29; 12-05-2017 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:53 PM
vansjr15

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/11631...o_pop_mb_pd_t2

I didn't see this book mentioned here yet, but Amazon has a facsimile of Col. Townsend Whelen's 1941 Handbook on Smallbore Rifleshooting in paperback for an amazing price.

A significant portion of the book is dedicated to target .22s of the era as well as position shooting doctrines of the time (including offhand).

I also purchased a facsimile of his Col. Whelen's earlier treatise, The American Rifle, on Amazon. Both are great resources with significant portions dedicated to riflecraft.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:29 PM
Bob4BVM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good O/H reference poster

Youll need to enlarge it a bit to read the text, but an excellent piece on O/H technique& position...
This page is covered in great detail if you burrow down into Charlie's link in post #39 above
And of course if you want a step by step procedure from the guy who has shot perfect "500" scores (IRONS yet ! ) in our match here, he has also provided that in post#40 ...
All the best,
Bob4BVM

Last edited by Bob4BVM; 04-05-2018 at 01:39 PM.