Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 PM
smartypants2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to smartypants2
Ruger Mk2 Target trigger

Per a previous thread a few days ago, I installed the Volquartsen sear into my 'new' Ruger Mk2. It has produced a marvelous change for the better. The trigger now measures 2lbs 5oz (average of 3 pulls using the Lyman digital guage).

However there is a slight travel on the trigger prior to its breaking.

When the trigger pull is about 1.5 lbs (appproximate weight), the trigger moves just a little bit, but doesn't break. With added pressure (up to the 2lbs 5oz), the trigger then breaks.

So the trigger effectively moves in two stages. The first is a very slight 'blip' of motion at say 1.5lbs, and the next is the actual break of the trigger.

Now for the questions:
1. Does anyone else have this experience?
2. How to get it to just break at 2.5lbs, and have no motion prior to that.

Additionally, does the spring and plunger from Volquartsen help at all? Is it worth getting to replace the factory spring and plunger?
Old 03-31-2008, 03:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I used ALL the VQ parts on my first MKII and still had some take up.

I just did my trigger by rewoking all the stock parts and it has less takeup but I have never shot a MKII that does not have some. On mine I drilland tapped the trigger to put in a set screw to eliminate as much as possible but when dry firing there is still some. What I notice though is in real shooting there is none because I leave my finger of the trigger and the take up goes away. I only notice it now on the first shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzOn6GqNFdk
Old 03-31-2008, 04:07 PM
recumbent
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
You have to have some pretravel and some just a tad of over travel or the disconnector will not reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Bobshouse
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you purchase a VQ trigger it will come with a new spring and plunger, mine did.

I didn't order the complete kit, just the trigger and sear, still using the original hammer.

The trigger is worth the purchase just for the pretravel and overtravel adjustment.
What makes it worthwhile is you can adjust the pretravel without taking the gun apart.
Old 03-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Ferdinand

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I installed a Clark trigger and was able to adjust out most of the pre-travel. It's hardly noticeable now.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:15 PM
smartypants2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to smartypants2
Not exactly what I meant

I think what I said is being misunderstood.

I realize that there is some pre-travel in the trigger, and it's not the problem.

When the trigger is pulled, there is a segment of smooth resistance to the pull, but the trigger moves until it hits a 'stop'. The smooth movement is the pre-travel (as I understand it).

At the 'stop', the trigger theoretically doesn't move at all, until the pull weight reaches 2.5 lbs. Then the trigger 'breaks' and the gun goes bang.

But now here's the point. The trigger should be stopped until I reach the 2.5lb trip point. But no, it actually moves a little bit at about 1.5 lbs, and then breaks at 2.5. That's the problem.
Old 04-01-2008, 12:08 AM
Adam67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartypants2 View Post
I think what I said is being misunderstood.

I realize that there is some pre-travel in the trigger, and it's not the problem.

When the trigger is pulled, there is a segment of smooth resistance to the pull, but the trigger moves until it hits a 'stop'. The smooth movement is the pre-travel (as I understand it).

At the 'stop', the trigger theoretically doesn't move at all, until the pull weight reaches 2.5 lbs. Then the trigger 'breaks' and the gun goes bang.

But now here's the point. The trigger should be stopped until I reach the 2.5lb trip point. But no, it actually moves a little bit at about 1.5 lbs, and then breaks at 2.5. That's the problem.
Some people actually love that. Many bullseye shooters like some creep or "roll" on the trigger. That way you can pre-load the trigger before the shot actually breaks.