Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:12 PM
kisssofdeath
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bergara B-14R Range Report

Where do I start with this one. Well I'm going to skip all the aftermarket trigger issues I have had for the last two months. Jumping forward I now have the Bix'n Andy TacSport PRO single stage trigger installed. I go into a little depth about the trigger in another thread so you can go there for photos and my initial thoughts.

I am happy to say that this trigger performed flawlessly. It come set at 2 oz and that is exactly what the pull weight is. It's 2 oz, very consistent, no sear drops and no failure to cock out of 300+ rounds today. To me it was worth every penny and I would highly recommend one for their R700 platform rifle.

The B-14R also performed excellent. While some of the targets don't look that great, the conditions were not great either. I had high wind at times and just every so often it would stop blowing. I don't have the patience to wait for that window of opportunity. I also had several AD with my cold fingers but I can't identify all of the AD's. If I wasn't wanting to test the trigger I probably wouldn't have even shot today. That's another reason I only shot the SK.

This time I did things a little different when shooting. First I cleaned the barrel just to get a fresh start. Then I shot only SK ammo. Another thing I did differently is I shot the first 30 rounds with each ammo without my Sparrow and then shot the last 20 with it. Why didn't I shoot 25 and 25? Because I hate drawing that crooked line. The straight line just gives a cleaner look. And yeah, I know, my line isn't straight . I will let the reader draw their own conclusions as to the effect the Sparrow had. I was kinda disappointed in the accuracy with the Sparrow but then again most screwed up groups had one round killing it. One thing is for sure, it appears to shoot a little high with the Sparrow. I will clean the Sparrow before shooting with it again. It probably has 2000 rounds on it.

I plan on cleaning the barrel and shooting Eley next. That will take place whenever I get the opportunity. I went back and looked at how many rounds I have shot and I can account for 2,200 rounds. A more accurate number is probably around 2,500. I have not had one failure of any kind.

Here are the groups of the day. The order from top to bottom is also the order the ammo was shot.

As opportunity permits I will add to this report.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:02 AM
Bobwire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not bad shooting for the conditions. I haven't even tried my silencer yet. You have a lot more trigger time on yours than I do , finally going to start to warm up this weekend in the 70's so Monday I'm going out and see what I can do. I want to try some of the SK Long Range to see what it does. I've shot some of the Norma match and some Wolf too with ok results. Kissofdeath what scope do you have? Monday I'm going to confirm my 50 yd zero and and hopefully see what it does at 100 yds if the weather holds and even stretch it to 200 yds and 300 meters with the Midas.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 AM
layer3guru
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Did I miss it what distance was this shot at?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2020, 11:28 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by layer3guru View Post
Did I miss it what distance was this shot at?
55 yards.

It's 12:30 here and the temp just broke 40° I can tolerate that if the wind doesn't blow much.

Bobwire,

The scope is a Meopta Optica6. It's 4.5-27x50 SFP with the Dichroic dot reticle. I have two, they are not super expensive but still a great value for the money.

What brand suppressor do you have?
Old 02-15-2020, 10:17 PM
Bobwire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kissofdeath I have the Silencerco Warlock suppressor I think it's the older version of the Sparrow. The Meopta is very nice glass bud. I'm shooting Vortex PST Gen II 5x25x50 FFP. I also picked up a couple of magazines a 2 weeks ago from Bergara and I also have a KYL target coming in this week that I'm jazzed about. With the weather getting warmer we also have a .22 tactical match 2x a month I'm going to start shooting again. We shoot M&P 15-22's it's a run and gun match out to 100 yds its a hoot. I heard rumors of a F class .22 match might happen too, I hope so I shoot F Class centerfire now. I have to admit I'm a wussy when I saw you were shooting in 40 degree weather no wonder you were having AD's with a light trigger. I'm an old desert rat when it gets in the high 40's low 50's I'm done. Heck we even had a couple of nights it froze last month, I was stuck in the house for 2 days lol.
Old 02-16-2020, 12:53 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey Bobwire. I'm on the notification list for the B-14R magazine. I'd like to at least have two more. You will like the KYL targets and will find yourself shooting at the smallest one the most.

Today I shot close to 850 rounds. The Bergara as a whole worked perfect as expected. I'm getting used to the trigger and it warmed up close to 50. The wind wasn't as bad as yesterday but my shooting was not up to par. I'll post all the plates regardless instead of cherry picking. I will say I am going to shoot all the Eley over, hopefully tomorrow. I believe the Eley would have done better and that my shooting was not where it could have been. Looking back I know where I did make a few mistakes. Most of it was basic consistency issues. I cleaned the Sparrow but it couldn't keep up with unsuppressed accuracy. Going forward either I will shoot all 50 shots suppressed or not. Only the Eley and two plates with Lapua was shot suppressed today.

I started with a clean barrel but didn't clean before switching ammo. Plates listed from top to bottom are also the order in which they were shot.

First up for the day was Eley Target. No cold bore flyer. No fouling shots. First 5 shot group was 3/8". So much for the mythical fouling shots. I guess it's not mythical but I also don't believe it is needed with every gun. No idea what happened with the second group "?" mark shot, can I blame it on the ammo? Also this was the first time using the Sparrow.

Next up Eley Edge. I don't remember what number the circled shots were, they could have been the 1st shot, the 5th shot or anywhere in between.

Next is Eley Team. No idea what happened on the 5 group other than not being consistent as I need to be. Could have been the wind IDK. I know the group was 11/16".

Eley Match. I really had high hopes for this one. I was pretty frustrated after shooting the first three groups. Didn't turn out to bad but still hoped for better from this ammo.

Lapua Pistol King. Another high hopes round ending in disappointment. Hard to understand how I shoot the 4th group at 7/8" when the before and after groups are nice.

Lapua Center-X. Now these results were the most disappointing of all. This was the last ammo I shot using the Sparrow.

Next I decided to shoot some other ammo I had laying around. First was Fiocchi Official 300. Didn't expect much and didn't get much.

Aguila Rifle Match. Bought a case of this from Buds for $239 shipped. Maybe it will be ok in something else.

RWS Super Pistol 250. I bought this somewhere for $5 a box. Maybe I need to shoot it in a pistol.

Next is RWS R50 sc. Had high hopes for this ammo and it didn't do to bad. The 4th group was actually closer to 9/16" but I put 5/8". I believe it will do better. I also adjust the scope on these.

Federal GM Match. Was just ok, I seem to have had some random flyers.

Geco Match 22 LR.

I decided to try Lapua ammo again and up first was Pistol King. Now this is what I had hoped for. The 4th group had one bad shot that kept me from going 10 for 10. That would be 10 groups at 1/2" or less.

Lapua Center-X. Here are some fantastic groups and my first and only 10 for 10 of the day. But, looking back this is 19 out of 20 shots in a row that were 1/2" or less. This is what should have happened the first two times I shot these two brands and one reason I stopped using the suppressor on half the groups. I hate to buy a case of Center-X or Pistol King but between those two all my rifles shoot one or both excellent.

Next was RWS Semi Auto. After shooting the Center-X I never made another scope adjustment. This is maybe the best this ammo has shot in a rifle of mine.

CCI SV. Last group of the day. Normally I start out with CCI but not this time. Typical accuracy for CCI SV.

Well that's it. Hopefully you were entertained. As I said, I want to reshoot all the Eley again and see if I can do a little better. I am pretty happy with the B-14R. Eventually I will have a shootout between it and the Tikka with IBI barrel. This will happen for an IR50/50 target.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 AM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Those pistol king and centerx groups look great. I’d be lot testing on those two for sure.

Glad you’re getting it all sorted out and can now get down to some “serious fun”.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:51 AM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KOD,

What's with the targets, you run out of hole reinforcements? lol

Some good shooting there under not ideal(read less than good) conditions.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:07 AM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Received my scope Friday and install on my B-14R. It's a Hawke Sidewinder 6-24X56 30mm tube. Now I have to get out and sight it in. Was thinking maybe today or tomorrow.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200214_153408.jpg (514.8 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20200214_153336_1.jpg (514.6 KB, 9 views)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:14 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the comments.

I did run out of rings and had to buy those dots.I don't mind using them as an alternative but they come less in a pack, cost more and harder to peel off. I have to draw a ring around them all because sometimes they get knocked off the paper. The yellow dots or rings need the black ring because they blend in so easy to the white paper at 55 yards.

That's a good looking setup, looking forward to seeing how it shoot.

JCIII, from all the shooting I have done with all the 22 rimfire guns I have, I can get by with 5 types of ammo. For low end the obvious choice is CCI SV, the two midrange choices would be SK Rifle Match and SK Pistol Match/Special and for high end Lapua Center-X or Pistol King. Eley and RWS seem more erratic to me.
Old 02-16-2020, 09:14 PM
chillywig
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
KOD your write up and reviews have been excellent. I got out to the range today and thought I'd share some targets and chrono data. These were shot at 100 yards. I did not measure/average the first five shot fouling group when switching ammos into the average totals. This is the second time I had the Bergara out to the range since picking it up 2-13-20. I put the calvin elite trigger in last night and set it at 7-8oz. It is still breaking between 7-8oz after firing close to 300 rounds today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200216_215124_resized_2.jpg (471.6 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20200216_215253_resized_2.jpg (479.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-16-2020, 09:23 PM
chillywig
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had one failure to fire today with SK rifle match ammo. The primer strike looked good. I re chambered rotating the primer strike 180 degrees and it went bang on the second try. Other than this the gun has been 100% in feeding extraction ejection etc
Old 02-17-2020, 11:39 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chillywig,

Thanks for the compliment. Your B-14R is shoot really good IMO. Those stray shot could have been caused by other things. Overall you have a really consistent shooting rifle.
Old 02-17-2020, 11:23 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I wanted to go back and od a little more experimenting and reshoot the Eley. Today was a nice day for that. Results are as follows.

First up is Lapua Pistol King. I wanted to shoot a full 50 rounds with my Sparrow and the action screws set at 20 inlb.

Wanted to reshoot SK Flatnose Match. This is consistent ammo and I'll probably try find this lot number with Cathy at Good Shooting.

SK Rifle Match. Shot this to check consistency. I'll be getting more of this lot number too if it's available. The 5th shot on each of the last two groups screwed up a good run. Still not bad though. When I put a question mark down that means everything looked and felt good on my end but it just didn't happen.

Next I decided to see what SK would do suppressed and at 40 inlb on the action screws. Not bad, better than I had expected. I didn't make a scope adjustment the entire day. As you can see with the Sparrow on the impact shifted up and left.

CCI SV. What is a day at the table without shooting CCI.

Well I'm done with the B-14R until my Elftmann comes in. Cara said it was completed today and will ship out tomorrow. Really looking forward to that to see how a trigger with zero take up and zero over travel will feel.
Old 02-24-2020, 01:17 PM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Update on the Elftmann. The second one didn't work out. The bolt shroud hits the safety lever, the bolt won't cock on closing. Total fail. I talked with Art and sent photos. He is sending me a 3rd one to try, if that doesn't work I will get a refund.

Glad I bought the Bix'n Andy TacSport PRO. Here are a few targets shot over the weekend. This is the first threaded rifle I have that seems to shoot better without the Sparrow. Some of the targets shown below contain 25 rounds shot with the Sparrow and 25 without. You can see the difference. All targets shot with 20 in/lb on the receiver screws.

After comparing 4,250 shots "recorded on paper" out of the B-14R with various ammo, suppressed, unsuppressed, and various torque settings on the receiver screws, it appears that 40 in/lb on the receiver screws, shot unsuppressed is the most accurate setup.