Advantage Arms .22 Conversion Kit - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-26-2014, 12:37 PM
CATMguy445
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to CATMguy445
Question Advantage Arms .22 Conversion Kit

I recently bought a Caspian Titanium Commander frame to update a Lightweight Commander I built years ago with an aluminum frame from Federal Ordnance. After taking everything out of the old frame, it seems to be in great condition, so I'm thinking of building a .22 Commander out of it.

After some research, it seems that Advantage Arms is the only company (that I've found so far) who makes a .22 Conversion unit for a Commander frame. Has anyone here used one of their kits or know anyone who has used one? Are they any good?
Old 11-26-2014, 02:20 PM
Richard King
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience has been with their Glock conversion units. I have two of them, that I have put thousands of rounds through. No problems, at all. Be advised though that they only work with high speed ammo. At least mine do. Anything other than Remington Golden Bullets, CCI Mini Mags, Aguila Interceptors. Similar high speed ammo, is the only stuff that works.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:39 PM
ken grant

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have an AA Kit for a 1911 that for a Government Model but it also works on a Commander .
It works great with the proper ammo ( Rem. G.B. & Mini-Mags) but is picky with anything else.

I also have a Ciener Kit that works with most any H.V. I shoot in it but does not have last rd. lock back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2014, 09:48 PM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Advantage Arms makes two types of 1911 22lr conversion kits. One operates and looks like your original slide except made of aluminum so the lower cartridge recoil can still operate the pistol. The other is a two part slide sort of like a Smith&Wesson 41 also made of aluminum but just the lower half moves to work the action. Since that type has a less massive weight to move, mine has no trouble with either normal velocity or high velocity ammo [I did however change the hammer spring to a 17 lb one]. The two part slide model can also mount a scope rib and since the top half of slide doesn't move it can be an accurate pistol. It is an equal to my Ruger mark.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:13 PM
weave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I own a type I Advantage Arms. It is on a full sized 1911 frame. Works well with Aguila high speed ammo so far.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:11 PM
CATMguy445

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, guys. From your comments and a couple of reviews that I found on line, I bid on a new AA .22 Conversion kit for a Commander frame on GB, and was the only bidder.

I'll be sending them a Cashier's Check today, so the kit should arrive in the mail around the end of next week or the beginning of the week after that. When I get it, I'll post a review here.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:35 PM
CATMguy445

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My new Advantage Arms .22 Conversion kit arrived by UPS today. I'm pretty positively impressed so far, I tried a test fit on my old Federal Ordnance aluminum frame, and it fit perfectly. I was a bit curious about the two-piece slide stop, but after seeing how the kit is installed on the frame, it makes perfect sense. Cycling it by hand, it felt very smooth, and would cycle dummy rounds with no problem.

Of course, this was on a bare frame. The only part that was still on the frame from when it was a .45 ACP is the ejector, which isn't used by the Conversion Kit. Slide operated very smoothly, locked open on the last round, and basically did everything right. So now I have to order most of the 1911 internal parts so I can turn the kit into a dedicated .22 LR pistol. Then I can find out how accurate it is, and how well it works. I'm planning on using an 18-lb. mainspring, so that it should function with standard velocity ammo as well as HV. The .22 feed ramp even looks polished, so I'll try it with some hollow points, even though AA says that it won't work well with HP ammo.

Stand by for further updates.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:10 PM
The Hen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Following your Advantage Arms adventure but you didn't inform us which model arrived in mail [the normal one piece slide or the target two piece slide]? edit- round nose or hp absolutely no difference.

Last edited by The Hen; 12-11-2014 at 12:15 PM. Reason: my exp additional info
Old 01-27-2015, 06:55 PM
CATMguy445

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hen View Post
Following your Advantage Arms adventure but you didn't inform us which model arrived in mail [the normal one piece slide or the target two piece slide]? edit- round nose or hp absolutely no difference.
Sorry, I thought that was obvious. In the first post of the thread, I mentioned that the conversion kit was for a Commander frame, so that's which madel arrived. The Advantage Arms model number is 1911-22C.

It is also now a working pistol. About two weeks ago, I decided to go ahead and put everything together, even though I was still missing a couple of parts for the .45 Commander, I had everything for the .22. It took me about ten minutes to put all of the bits and pieces in the FedOrd aluminum frame and put the conversion kit on the frame. Everything fit, and so I did a function check and everything worked. That was on a Thursday, and on Saturday morning, I took the pistol out to the range to test fire it. Before I left the house, though, I weighed the pistol and empty magazine on a digital kitchen scale, and it weighs 1 pound, 9.5 ounces dry. With a full mag, it would probably weigh about two pounds.

When I got to the range, I set up and ran about 30 rounds through the gun, using various loads and bullet types. Everything worked. It shot standard velocity, high velocity, round nose, and hollow point .22 ammo without a hiccup. Feeding, extraction, and ejection all worked flawlessly. The only minor annoyance is loading the magazine. It doesn't have a button you can pull down to take tension off of the mag spring, and it's VERY difficult to load rounds into the mag without pulling the follower down a little bit. I used an Allen wrench as a loading tool. There's a little round hole built into the bottom of the follower that will let you pull it down, but you still need something to fit through the hole. That's about the only negative I can think of.

In general, the kit fit perfectly, was easy to install, worked like a charm, and it was accurate. I was shooting offhand, and not trying to be terribly precise, and was shooting about a 3 inch group at ten yards on a cold, windy day. Obviously, I haven't put a lot of rounds through the gun yet, but I don't anticipate any real problems. The sights were even dead on out of the box, and didn't need any adjustment. The gun shot to point of aim right from the first round I dropped the hammer on.

It's very rare to find a firearms product that needs no tuning the first time you use it, but this was one of them. I am now an Advantage Arms convert. That little .22 Conversion kit REALLY impressed me, and in a good way. The folks at AA definitely have my complete and wholehearted endorsement. So if any of you guys out there have a 1911 frame you want a .22 Conversion kit for, I would definitely recommend the Advantage Arms unit.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:09 AM
CATMguy445

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, yeah, one little detail someone asked about that had slipped my mind. The kit that I bought is the standard type with the one-piece slide, not the target model with the two-piece slide.
Old 01-29-2015, 02:00 PM
VASCAR2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the update, glad to see it is functioning. I bought a Federal Ordinance aluminum alloy frame back in the late 70's or early 80's and mated it to a Colt conversion unit. This made a great dedicated trainer for my Gold Cup National Match. Unfortunately for me I ended up selling both because of medical bills.

I still miss the alloy 22 LR government model but a couple years ago I bought a stripped RIA frame which I built up and mated to an Advantage Arms standard 1911 kit. This pistol is just as accurate as my old Colt conversion and is reliable. May not be quite as classy but I still shoot my RIA/AA a lot. I hope you enjoy your Commander 22 LR as much as I enjoy my Government length 22 LR 1911.
Old 01-29-2015, 07:43 PM
castnblast1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
AA has a very neat reloading jig that slides over the magazine. You can find it on their site and trust me it is worth it.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:53 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've been using the McFadden Lightnin' Grip Loader for the past year on my M&P15-22, & Nordic AR22 and it has been the best $29 I've spent on gun accessories. I just started using it with my Marvel conversions using Kimber and ProMag magazines and it works very well. The rounds are properly staggered in the magazine. You will need this adapter for the .22 Kimber magazines http://www.mcfaden.com/product-p/kim...dapteronly.htm.

Very nice people to do business with, very quick and cheap shipping ($2 shipping when I ordered the .22 Kimber adapter).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS1bkrTVUVQ

Nolan