Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:03 PM
hntr58
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Remington 591M Accuracy

Hi Guys,

I'm shooting a Remington 5MM rifle with the two different type ammo Centurion makes. 30gr hollow point(white box) and the 30gr jacketed hollow point(gold box) and don't really get great groups out of either one. About 1 3/4" at 50 yds. I was just wondering what everyone else was getting? Since there isn't a lot of ammo to chose from is there any improvements I could do to the gun to tighten them up a some? Thanks!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Midnitehound
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Appalachian Mts. in a deep dark hollow between a rock and a hard place!
TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by hntr58 View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm shooting a Remington 5MM rifle with the two different type ammo Centurion makes. 30gr hollow point(white box) and the 30gr jacketed hollow point(gold box) and don't really get great groups out of either one. About 1 3/4" at 50 yds. I was just wondering what everyone else was getting? Since there isn't a lot of ammo to chose from is there any improvements I could do to the gun to tighten them up a some? Thanks!
I have two 591's. added 2nd action screw , glass bedded the action and free floated the barrel on both. Also worked the trigger down to about 1.5 lbs. on both. Cut the barrel on one to 20" to have a carbine and because the muzzle area was damaged by what I assume was a 22 caliber bore sighter pilot. Both will easily shoot 1.5" at 100 yds with Centurion ammo. You need to think in centerfire terms to squeeze accuracy out of them. That is hot ammo and those light barrels heat quickly. The factory single action screw and full stock contact with the barrel will cause accuracy problems with Centurion ammo, more so than the old Remington ammo which didn't heat the barrel as much when firing multiple round groups.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:31 PM
hntr58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Midnite, I was wondering if I should free float the barrel or not. I didn't want to do anything until I heard back from one of you guys with the experience. So, just so I understand, should I sand off the front pressure point and would I float it all the way back to the action?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2013, 06:53 PM
Midnitehound

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Smile

Quote:
Thanks Midnite, I was wondering if I should free float the barrel or not. I didn't want to do anything until I heard back from one of you guys with the experience. So, just so I understand, should I sand off the front pressure point and would I float it all the way back to the action?
Yes but only if you add the 2nd action screw. If you don't and free float the barrel, the action and barrel will rock. That would be worse than what you have now!
Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM
Louie Heaton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree with midnite, I free floated a 591 I had, and the groups got worse, went back and glass bedded it a few inches forward of the action, and it went back to around where it was before. Have a 592, I hear you can mess with the torque on the action screw and get different results.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:11 PM
clipfed

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a tube feed (592) and I am getting half inch groups at 50 and right around 1" or sometimes better at a hundred with the white box. I have done nothing to it other than clean it
Old 12-30-2013, 07:10 AM
Midnitehound

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clipfed View Post
I have a tube feed (592) and I am getting half inch groups at 50 and right around 1" or sometimes better at a hundred with the white box. I have done nothing to it other than clean it
The 592's do have the reputation of being more accurate. Very early in production, Rem. had a recall on the 5mm to correct extraction issues. During their testing of unaltered models, the 592 was found to be slightly more accurate over the 591.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:22 PM
hntr58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Midnite,

Could you give me any details on adding another action bolt? I'm guessing drilling and tapping and finding a bolt of the right length?
Old 12-30-2013, 09:20 PM
REM-UMC

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I vote leave it alone and shoot it more. To many people believe in this free floating stuff. Not saying it never works, but personally I wouldn't do it nor would I purchase a gun that any person other then Remington did it to. Owning one of every caliber model 700 from 1962-1972 and absolutely none of them free floated or altered in anyway I wouldn't blink an eye putting it up against any like model and caliber that has been floated.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:37 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm on the free float side of the fence. If it doesn't help its easy to bolster the barrel back. My Rem 25-06 benefited by removing the factory pressure bump on the forward end of the forearm. My CZ full stock shoots great with lots of pressure all the way to the muzzle. You won't know until you experiment. The good thing is you don't have much different ammo to test.
Old 12-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Midnitehound

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Midnite,

Could you give me any details on adding another action bolt? I'm guessing drilling and tapping and finding a bolt of the right length?
Be sure to read REM-UMC's post carefully. when you start altering guns you are quite possibly in effect devaluing them to a future customer. your 591 if it's in good shape is worth around $350-400. My two were well used and I bought them cheaply before the Centurion ammo reappeared. Infidel is correct in that it can be a roll of the dice to free float, but if the gun is shooting poorly it can be a good option to try and you can always put a pressure point back. Sporting rifles used for hunting seldom fire many shots at a time. If your rifle will fire cold bore shots with a minute or so between shots, accurately then definitely leave it alone. If you want to fire 5 rd. groups many times on paper rapidly or if you occasionally prairie dog hunt as I do, then consider free floating as the benefits will be greater.
The second action screw is usually a smaller diameter screw than the front one. A lot of people locate it where the small screw holds the bottom metal on and if done correctly , you can't tell the gun has been altered. I do not locate here because the new screw hole will be in the locking lug area. I have put all mine (541, 581,591) midway between the small screw hole and the magazine release. This will clear the locking lug area. You will be drilling a small hole through the bottom metal, the stock and the bottom of receiver. The receiver hole of course will be tapped. The screw itself will most likely need to be trimmed to allow for bolt clearance. None of this is difficult for me since I have been a tool and die maker most of my life and have machines in my private shop most so called gunsmiths only dream about. However if you are uncomfortable with this, let someone more qualified do it. While you are at it you might as well glass bed the action. Hope this is informative, good luck and good shooting!
Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 PM
hntr58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again Midnite, this gun is in pretty nice shape. I guess before I would start to modify it I would have to think about if it is really worth it. I know it will cost me more than they are worth but do you think it would pay me to pick up a box or two of the older discontinued ammo that Remington used to make? Just to see if this would make a difference in accuracy at all?
Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Midnitehound

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Thanks again Midnite, this gun is in pretty nice shape. I guess before I would start to modify it I would have to think about if it is really worth it. I know it will cost me more than they are worth but do you think it would pay me to pick up a box or two of the older discontinued ammo that Remington used to make? Just to see if this would make a difference in accuracy at all?
It's expensive and can be hard to find. But it usually is more accurate in my experiences. It is a much more milder load than the two Centurions, who produce spectacular results because of their velocity and energy.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:09 AM
BulletBait

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess by today's scalpers $10 to $15 for a 50 rnd box of Goldens, paying $75 to $100 for the original box of 5mm ammo doesn't sound too bad. I feel fortunate to have gotten over the 5mm bug when ammo was $3 to $5. In the 70's, the 5mm mags were for hunting not bench rest target rifles. As I recall, a 3 to 4" group at 100 yds was good to go on coyote or fox.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:51 PM
hntr58

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the help everyone. I will shoot it some more and see if it improves any. Going to keep trying the Centurion ammo before I spend a lot on the old original stuff.