Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-16-2020, 06:13 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thread size ?

This ques is for those of you that have threaded your 580-581 Rem receivers and then threaded a barrel to match , i was wandering what size thread you used? I have been using the glue in method for some time but on a future build i thought about going the threaded route.

Thanks
Old 03-03-2020, 08:43 AM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally asked a ques that no one can answer.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:00 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Custom 22 actions, Stiller, Turbo, etc. are 16tpi.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2020, 01:02 PM
Tad_E

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Hello shifty! Been awhile since we have last talked directly.

To add to what Mr. John posted I believe the 580 I have would take to a 0.750"-16tpi thread quite well. My plan was to cut the face back to about 1.150" tennon length so our take off BR barrels would fit onto the 580 easily and have some wiggle room to lengthen the tennon and get extractor slots lined up without altering chamber depth much. I haven't yet had the time to do this to my 580 but was the initial plan 2 or 3 years ago lol.

My memory may be fuzzy so make sure my numbers aren't off when you measure your action. If memory serves me right the ID or bolt race of the action was about 0.625" so I figured I had about 0.050"+ to remove and clean up to get to the thread minor diameter and then cut the thread with a 0.750" diameter by 0.125" deep thread relief at the face of the action. The thread length does not have to be the entire tennon length to be effective either. I probably would shoot for about 0.750"-0.875" thread length/depth from face of the action and just turn the remaining tennon length of the barrel down to about 0.005" under bolt race diameter. Barrel thread OD or major diameter needs to be about 0.745" to start with for a 0.750"-16 thread. You can go a little larger on thread OD but it's not really worth the risk of binding the peaks into the valleys of the mating parts.

Something to also think about if your just planning to cut barrels specifically for this action is just making up a custom thread of your choice to not have to remove as much material. Something like a 0.6875"- 20 tpi thread may be more desirable to you for transplanting barrels from other rifles. I haven't done the math but I'm sure there is a thread size and tpi combination you can come up with that will allow you to use the established minor diameter of the bolt raceway(clearances included here) currently and just cut the thread to X major diameter at Y pitch but it may be something very oddly sized In the end. Play with one of the thread dimension calculators online and see if you find something you like better. For me though I would try to stay between 16-20 tpi for thread flank engagement reasons. Probably could get away with as much as 24 tpi but might be pushing it.

Most of all, and I know you will, have fun with the project!

Tad
Old 03-03-2020, 04:10 PM
50Shifty
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tad ,Good to hear from you hope you survived the Storm OK. Yes i already have a plan almost worked out for the 580 kinda like you suggested . And yes less than half of the tenon will be threaded the rest of it will be smaller to fit snugly into the action . I want to hold this Shul barrel really tight. Just some thing to work on for a while got back on ML's for a while now back to RF i just jump around. I already have one 580 that is shooting right with my JW15 modified.

How is your competitions going now?