Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:01 PM
Ithacabuff
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Savage Model 72 Question

Most of you must know that the Savage 72 is what I call a "Modern Stevens Favorite variant." It is a single-shot falling block .22 with an octagon barrel made from 1972 to 1989. For most of the years it came with a nicely blued barrel and a color-case-hardened receiver. However, in what I think was a move at economy in making it, the Savage company dispensed with the color-case receiver and I believe the blued barrel. I have known about this 72, second variant, for years and know that it is scarce. Thus not many made and to me, obviously made in the last days of the Model 72. So, here is my question. Looking for someone who has seen the latter variant or owns one. It can be clearly identified by the fact the receiver is not color case hardened and there is a little design of a squirrel rolled into both sides of the receiver. I just bought one and verified the receiver is a steel alloy because of the magnet test. However, it appears to me that the receiver and barrel are really not blued....they are Parkerized. So, the question is...Does this appear to be Parkerized or the equivalent. Or can it really be bluing. Will anyone with information help me out. BTW, I am an aficionado of all these little Modern Favorite models so any one with information about serial numbers, dates of manufacture, just anything, please let me know. I do appreciate it. (There is an article by me right here on a sticky about all the Modern Favorite Variants.)

Last edited by Ithacabuff; 02-15-2020 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:37 PM
slumlord44
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I've followed your discussions on the late model Favorites in the past. Have most of the variations. I rember seeing the Squirel one on GB at some point but I don't recall at the moment if I ever got one. Will take a look if i find the time. In the middle of building a house and trying to get mine ready to sell so things are a little hectic.