Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:43 AM
jstanfield103
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Bolt Stop & Magazine Disconnect

I recently picked up a Mark IV Hunter and last week a Mark IV Tactical. In watching YouTube video's I've noticed that several of the videos are using the newer style Bolt Stop as a bolt release. They are complaining at first how stiff they are. A lot of these guy's are well versed in guns. Long time evaluators and I really like all the videos they have ever done.

In the past the Mark series bolt stop has been just that a bolt stop and you are suppose to sling shot the bolt closed. Not use the bolt stop. If the bolt stop was used that could wear and eventually stop working to hold the bolt open on last shot.

I look in the owners manual and it is still calling it a Bolt Stop and not a stop/release. So has Ruger changed their mind on this and or have the changed it so it will not wear the stop out using it as a release.

On the second point I have replaced my magazine disconnect with the TK "Blast Shield" Magazine Disconnect Replacement for Ruger MKIV/MKI/22/45. I have to say I really like the Blast Shield that TK makes. But when I bought the 22/45 Tactical I noticed the magazine disconnect looks exactly like the TK blast shield. So has anyone taken the Ruger Disconnect out and modified it so it would work like the TK Blast Shield ?

Seems like it would be easily done. Another just wondering question.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:49 PM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
In the past the Mark series bolt stop has been just that a bolt stop and you are suppose to sling shot the bolt closed. Not use the bolt stop. If the bolt stop was used that could wear and eventually stop working to hold the bolt open on last shot.
I've read this before and to me its a load of nonsense. Now sometimes I will slingshot, and sometimes I will drop it with the release, but I'll never read it enough to make me worry about wearing out the release. Never a problem with any gun of any age on that part regardless of round count. And if it ever did, I'd just drop $30 and replace the part anyway. This is a non issue to me that I believe some people try to turn into an issue just for something to say. That or repeating what they've heard. And of course, I could be wrong too. But I'm not going to worry about it much regardless. If it wasn't intended that way, why would they make it that way? If not, it would be like the last shot hold open on subcompact pistols that has no external release.
Old 05-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Old 05-13-2019, 12:17 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The "Blast Shield" to me is just a redundant part. All this does is take away the mag disconnect. ok it also "facilitates mag alignment and shields the sear/hammer from debris". Ok, that last part is smoke and mirrors. To me, this part is called the "Waste of money". Tandekmkross has built their name already, and at this point, several people believe that they crap gold now. Well, they have several very good products. This one, at least to me, is a fix for one single thing. Mag disconnect. You can do that with a Volquartsen trigger kit, and end up with a great trigger as well. Now if you were one that just wanted to remove the mag disconnect and keep the stock crummy trigger, well, this is your meal ticket. Most of those who are into it enough to even entertain a part like the Blast Shield, are also probably looking to squeeze a little more out of that trigger as well. The rest are either going to keep the gun totally stock, and those people likely aren't going to be on an internet forum devoted to rimfires either. Thats just my take on it. May sound negative, may be negative, but thats really all the Blast Shield does. VQ kit removes that mag disconnect and gives you half the trigger pull as well as adjustable pre/overtravel. I have never understood why this part was even invented honestly.
Old 05-18-2019, 02:22 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have them both. The bushing in my Mark III and the blast shield in my Mark IV. I actually like the blast shield. Yes keeping the debris off the sear does nothing in my opinion also. So on mine ( Mark IV 22/45 Tactical ) I am going to put the Blast Shield in because the original factory Magazine disconnect has almost the same part already. I feel that they would not have put that part in there if the magazine did not need the guidance. I have the Volquartsen sear coming from SGW business. I will be purchasing the Volquartsen sear disconnector and trigger in the really near future. This should be everything that I need to make a great trigger.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:13 AM
Flash_80

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Will that VQ stuff even work in conjunction with the Blast Shield?
Old 05-19-2019, 08:41 AM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Yes. I have a Mark III Competition that has everything Volquartsen on the inside. Great trigger. But I also have a Mark IV Hunter that has the Volquartsen Sear and trigger. I have the TK Blast Shield in it and that has a better trigger than the Mark III Competition.

The only reason I really started talking about this is my Mark IV 22/45 Tactical magazine disconnect looks exactly like the TK Blast Shield. I usually can not afford to buy all the Volquartsen parts as a kit. So I build mine a little at a time. I have the Volquartsen bushing in the Mark III but I really do like the TK Blast Shield that I have in the Mark IV Hunter. Since the Mark IV 22/45 already has a Blast Shield disconnect I am going to put the Blast Shield in it also.
Old 05-19-2019, 11:20 AM
Big-Dummy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Shot a couple hundred rounds of CCI SV yesterday at the range hitting the bolt release with my thumb to close the bolt on each fresh mag. Worked like a charm. Pretty sure that's why they put the thumb pad on the release.
Old 05-19-2019, 03:06 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
BD,
You would think. But I bet your wrong in Ruger's eye's. But it appears 50% do and 50% don't. Evidently it does not matter what Ruger thinks. I have not heard of one person complain and say it's ruined the release/stop.
Old 05-21-2019, 09:13 AM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have

One fellow on our team said he would use it as a release as he does on all of his other pistols. I warned him of what I had been told/read. Later in the season he told me his was worn and failing to catch the bolt all the time. BTW mine also had to be replaced even though I always slingshot mine but mine took many years to wear out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanfield103 View Post
BD,
You would think. But I bet your wrong in Ruger's eye's. But it appears 50% do and 50% don't. Evidently it does not matter what Ruger thinks. I have not heard of one person complain and say it's ruined the release/stop.
Old 05-21-2019, 05:05 PM
jstanfield103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
stew,
Thanks in interesting to hear both sides.