Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:43 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Painting/coating a Poly stock???

I have two OEM poly stocks I would like to turn FDE. One is a RAR 22mag black poly and the other is a Armscor 22tcm rifle that is also poly and black. What is a really good , durable and long lasting paint or coating to do this with? They will both be used in the field so durable and anti-scratch is of importance.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:04 PM
wjritchie
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have used Krylon Fusion which bonds to plastic fairly well . Many colors and camo available . I have found that the durability comes from up to 6 coats or more of clear coat in the desired gloss , flat or satin finishes over the color . For texture of the color application with a Sea Sponge or similar depending on the desired effect .
Old 08-11-2019, 01:42 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Truck bedliner paint holds up well, so I read.
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2019, 11:47 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Krylon might be good. Found Brownells Alumihyde2 also.

Last edited by nodak; 08-16-2019 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:46 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Use paints that are specifically formulated to adhere to plastics. There are several available on the market such as Krylon Fusion for Plastic® , Valspar® Plastic Spray Paint , and Rust-Oleum Specialty Paint For Plastic Spray.. some say no primer.. some say to use primer.. I never have BUT I prep with pure acetone.
Paint = 2 mist coats then one fairly wet.. just not so wet that it runs... Let it dry for 2-3 hours then top coat with good quality Laquer... great combo for decent long wear.
Just don't go nutz in the barrel channel or the inletting.. go light/mist coats in those spots and no wet coat.

Last edited by Chaser; 08-12-2019 at 12:48 AM.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:59 AM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
Just don't go nutz in the barrel channel or the inletting.. go light/mist coats in those spots and no wet coat.
to all of the above but pay special attention here. Paint has thickness so you have to be careful not to make a tight fit where you used to have clearance or free-float.

I used the Krylon Fusion made for plastics. Worked very well but it definitely shows signs of wear at the expected wear points and isn't scratch proof. I didn't use any clear coat over top.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:47 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
to all of the above but pay special attention here. Paint has thickness so you have to be careful not to make a tight fit where you used to have clearance or free-float.

I used the Krylon Fusion made for plastics. Worked very well but it definitely shows signs of wear at the expected wear points and isn't scratch proof. I didn't use any clear coat over top.

How did you get my rifle?

I started using Krylon Fusion on four wheeler plastic a long time ago. It's some tough stuff and it sticks very well. I found it to be difficult to remove. The directions say it sticks to a lot of other things just as well as plastic. I haven't had a need for Fusion in quite awhile and I seem to remember that it is gone and ordinary Krylon now has the same properties as the original Fusion did. I'm not sure if that's true but it would be easy to look up if one were interested.