Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Will this shoot as good as an Anshutz?

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  layer3guru 
#1 · (Edited)
Stay tuned for plenty of shooting action where I will be testing a variety of 22LR ammunition to see what this Aussie likes. Leave a comment and let me know what you think, will it? If you are interested tune in to https://www.youtube.com/user/Dayattherange

Attachments

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Like all mass produced fire arms - You pay your money and take your chances!

There are plenty of these getting around down here in Oz. Some have proved to be exceptional shooters straight from the carton.

Competent amateurs have done the usual bedding and trigger tweaks to improve the accuracy of these rifles.

I have two - One pretty much in stock configuration but for a trigger job. It had proved to be consistently accurate with several of the SK/Lapua offerings - Won't quite run with several Anschutz 1710's I have but an all round nice rim fire nonetheless.

I also have another with a match chambered premium after market barrel - Simply the most accurate 22 sporter I have ever owned - Consistently outshoots Anschutz, Walther, Weihrauch, Cooper and several other custom sporters I currently have here.

Good luck with it:bthumb:

#4 · (Edited)
The timing couldn't be better. I have my eye on one of these Lithgows, and yes, I saw "The Plinkster" review. My bet is the Lithgow will keep right up with Anshutz … apples for apples, and I definitely think it will outshoot all the 1022 and CZ mods out there. Lithgow stock, against Ruger and CZ mods. For $1200 + suppressor, it is cheap enough to give it a try, and it will compete. Will it out shoot a fully custom $3k .22 …. no ….. but it doesn't make sense to me to buy a $500 rifle and put another $500 in it for mods, when you can just buy an Anshutz or Lithgow, or even Steyr and be more competitive than the Franken whatevers. Then, if you get serious, go completely custom …. and commit to the rabbit hole.
Looking forward to your video.

Buy the way HJA8 … nice review of Lithgow ….. I think it will be "match" ready right out of the box, and if it needs a trigger job, no biggie.

Pappy

#8 ·
Pappy i think you hit the point. I bought a savage mark 2 with a goal of shooting competition. Ended up having more than the cost of a lithgow in the savage and still wouldnt hold under MOA consistently. I ended up buying a used custom that can compete for not much more than i sank in the factory gun. If someone wants to honestly ahoot competition they should start with a custom and be done. A anschutz 54 for nearly the price of a new custom might compete as it came from the factory. I think these lithgow are absolutely beautiful and might shoot as good or better than a annie 64 and id be interested to find out.

Chad

#5 · (Edited)
Pappy - Run a "Lithgow" search on this forum - A number of us from down under and NZ have posted quite a bit of information plus various "tweaks" we have done to wring out the best in these rim fires.

Check out rifle fourth from left - It has a bit of competition in this line up - Without question the most accurate here and I have others (mostly German stuff)which can't match it either.

This is by no means a factory rifle though - Built to my specs by an experienced rim fire smith and I have a lot more than the value of a 17XX Anschutz in it.

#6 ·
HJA8 ...… Beautiful line up of rifles. I noticed there are no uses of cans of any kind. Do you believe they effect accuracy or POI? I don't think Lithgow are popular, as well as many other "good" rifles, due to the expense. The rimfire participants are primarily in it for fun … it is inexpensive, cheap ammo, even if it is Eley etc., and no re-coil. The older I get, the less I like recoil. Even with handguns, sold all the cannons, just own 9mm & .22LR now.
Thanks for the comeback.
Pappy

#7 ·
Pappy, unlike NZ (which unfortunately has its own problems at the moment :sad:), Australia has extraordinarily strict "rules" governing the ownership/use of sound moderators :duh:. Politicians, and their law-maker minions, seem to have created law on the basis that (1) they are 'silencers', and (2) they are therefore evil. The pollies probably suffer these fantasies by watching too many movies.
With respect to sound-moderators, quite the opposite applies in NZ. It's seems to be the case that to use a rifle without one, the user is almost some form of social pariah. They are completely unregulated, and therefore used extensively :bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.