Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:34 PM
RandyG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
.....I had one Cooper that the extractors broke on three times, and I sent it back for function problems four times, It never was repaired. I got very tired of using a long set of tweezers to remove the empty cases from the receiver.

I won't go into the troubles I had with the second one owned, and the last....
To bad this is your first post in the Cooper forum. We may have been able to help. How long ago was it you owned those Cooper's? What model's were they? Everything I have heard about their customer service, for as long as I can remember, has been exemplery.

What Anschutz models have you owned? Have they been equivelent to their Cooper counterpart in design and purpose? I'm just trying to see where your assessments "they will out shoot, out perform, out last, hold more value, cost less for what you get, and be more honest in their test targets" are coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
"Stating a personal opinion is not running down anything. Free speech is a freedom we all enjoy.......
I agree, unfortunately some people use free speech to spread falsehoods and lies.

Cheers,
Randy

Last edited by RandyG; 09-25-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:49 PM
gr8guns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Talking Whoops, ruffled feathers again....

"I agree, unfortunately some people use free speech to spread falsehoods and lies."

A personal opinion with a statement "Your Mileage May Vary", means simply my assessment on what I have experienced. Nothing else. No lies, No falsehoods or anything other than an opinion.

My bad experiences were early on as a Cooper Dealer when the company first started, with Dan Cooper as the head honcho.

I am sure they have these problems worked out now, or they would not have survived this long..

All this controversy over a personal opinion, claimed as nothing else other than a personal opinion..

I guess some people just can't get it....IT IS MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE & OPINION ....AND OPINIONS VARY !

Lets just go shooting, but not at each other .
Old 09-25-2011, 05:12 PM
#1Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You were right 22Man, why paid $2000.00 for a synthetic stock and waited 4-6 months, just when you pick up the rifle broght it home and find out that you have problems. Just think about how **** someone would be?

I bought one Cooper and it will be the last......

I've owned many rimfires but this one is the most expensive out of all them. I paid this much for it cause I thought that it would perfect in every aspact, but is not what I've hope for.

If anyone would to buy one, make sure you see the gun and like every aspact of it before you purchase. just because Cooper makes good rifle that doesn't mean that the one you order would look like the one you see display at your local gun shop.

With high price comes high quality, but not always with Cooper firearms.

Moderator's note: Profanity deleted. I see you have only three posts. If you wish to continue posting here I suggest you reread the rules regarding profanity and clean up your posting. Thanks

Like I said FIRST AND LAST COOPER Iin my safe.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM
RandyG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When did you get it? What's wrong with the rifle? Have you contacted Cooper? I'm sure they'll make it right if you give them a chance.

RG
Old 09-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Cooper4141

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would have to agree that the Annies are great guns. I also would have to agree there are more of them because they have been around alot longer and for other reasons stated above. I have also seen Annies with problems. My buddie ordered a new 1712 and it wouldn't set shells off. He had to order a new spring to fix it. That doesn't mean they are bad guns. Every manufaturer has problems.
As stated in my earlier post, I go to a lot of local shoots. There are probably 5 to every one Cooper. Why is that? I don't know, maybe they are just that much better. Though they are similar rifles they still are very different. Action, finish, barrel diameter, (my god have you seen the size of the barrel????)looks alone does it for me(also made in America). I have actually seen on several occasions someone take another shooters Annie to the window thinking it was theirs. I can promise you no one has ever taken my Cooper by mistake. All in all I don't think you can go wrong with either one. I am not saying I wouldn't take an Annie for a spin but I sure wouldn't trade my Cooper in on one. I like to ride in style.
Old 09-25-2011, 05:52 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
some people that own Coopers agree with me.

"With high price comes high quality, but not always with Cooper firearms."

I am not the only one with bad experience with Coopers.

Are we all liars ?

Where there is smoke, a fire is burning.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:19 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
I have one Cooper 57M Classic and an Anschutz 1710D HB Meistergrade. At my skill level, I can't tell if there is an accuracy difference in the two guns. Emotionally, I just like the look and feel of the Cooper better -- that is completely subjective, I know.

The long-term history of competition success with Anschutz definitely gives it an edge. Having a Cooper 57M action and an Anschutz 54 match action -- they both are exceptional and not being an engineer, I'm not qualified to say which is better.

I love 'em both, and they are permanently in my rimfire collection. Glad I can own both and no matther which one you prefer, you're getting a good rifle, IMO.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:35 PM
drover

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
gr8guns

In regards to my comment in the post - "If it is necessary for someone to run down another persons choice in order to feel better about their choice they have more problems than a perceived bad product." This was not directed at you or anyone else in particular, I thought that it was fairly clear when I said "someone" rather that "you". However whenever someone brings up the subject of a problem there is generally a lot of piling on by some with real problems and others with perceived problems. Of course since this is the internet it is difficult to separate one from the other, or if in fact that some of the disparagers even own a Cooper but enjoy the piling on.

IMO if a major concern in ones life is a mechanical problem with a firearm then their life is pretty darned good and they really don't have much to complain about. Sometimes folks get so wrapped up in the small things in life that they forget to appreciate the good things.

Just out of curiousity was the problem with your Cooper resolved, or do you still have it? Since it was quite a few years ago I am guessing it was a model 36 - correct? If so you should try a 57M the difference is night and day.

drover

Last edited by drover; 09-25-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
NC Buckeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I answered short, up top and to be clear I own a JSR in 17m2 and my father has 3 paintings and a rifle from Coopers one shot comp. I like Coopers they are good guns. I don't think the company is the same as there were before the leadership change, but they were/are good. For what they do Annies are better.

NC Buckeye
Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 PM
22 man

TPC Rating: 
96% (24)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyG View Post
To bad this is your first post in the Cooper forum. We may have been able to help. How long ago was it you owned those Cooper's? What model's were they? Everything I have heard about their customer service, for as long as I can remember, has been exemplery.

What Anschutz models have you owned? Have they been equivelent to their Cooper counterpart in design and purpose? I'm just trying to see where your assessments "they will out shoot, out perform, out last, hold more value, cost less for what you get, and be more honest in their test targets" are coming from.

I agree, unfortunately some people use free speech to spread falsehoods and lies.

Cheers,
Randy
Randy, I will bite on the above question, I sold my Jackson Hunter in 22 LR to a fellow here on Rimfire Central for a loss and then turned around and bought this 1993 1700 FWT for $1200.00. Randy I HUNT with my guns they do not sit in the safe and go to the range a couple of times a month. I would show you what it looks like now but the only pictures I have of it are with squirrel hunting pictures that apperently upset folks . I have been offered more for the Anschutz than I paid for the Cooper, it out shot the Cooper by far and just feels and fits better all around to ME.

Maybe the Moderator will not get to upset with a direct link of the gun, would you spray your Cooper stock with Black Spray Paint
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...otos/aug28.jpg

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-25-2011, 09:40 PM
bilrus61

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via AIM to bilrus61
I would say its the barrels........

I own a Cooper in .22LR and several Anschutzes. I think the Anschutzes barrels are almost custom quality. Not as good as a Lilja or Hart but very close to that level. I think Coopers missed the boat on the barrels. They are owned by Wilson barrels now and have always had Wilson barrels on them. Wilson has been a economy barrel maker for many years for the big arms makers. I have hear many times they made the barrels for Winchester when Winchester was in New Haven. I think they made the barrels for the old Kimber of Oregon also. Cooper made the same "mistake" as Kimber of Oregon, they thought nobody could tell the difference between a inexpensive barrel and one that cost a lot more. I had hoped that once Wilson bought Cooper they would upgrade the barrels on them. From what I have read that hasn't happened yet. What a Cooper is is a OUTSTANDING stock/craftsmanship on a very good action with a low cost barrel. Looks great, works fine, shoots ok. A Anschutz is a rifle with good stock, very good action and a very good barrel. Better balanced rifle all around. Some guys are very happy to give $1500 bucks for a rifle with the same barrel as a $150 gun as long as it looks a lot prettier than the $150 gun. They are the ones Cooper is targeting with their rifles.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:37 PM
RandyG

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22 man View Post
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"]Randy, I will bite on the above question, I sold my Jackson Hunter in 22 LR to a fellow here on Rimfire Central for a loss and then turned around and bought this 1993 1700 FWT for $1200.00. Randy I HUNT with my guns they do not sit in the safe and go to the range a couple of times a month. I would show you what it looks like now but the only pictures I have of it are with squirrel hunting pictures that apperently upset folks . I have been offered more for the Anschutz than I paid for the Cooper, it out shot the Cooper by far and just feels and fits better all around to ME.
I'm sorry the JSR did not work out for you. I hope you gave Cooper every oportunity to make it right. If the Anny fits ands feels best to you, then by all means, that is the rifle for you. I to hunt. Mostly rabbits, some squirrels, an occasional varmint, some fowl and of course, deer. I have hunted with mine on a nice fall day but will not take it out in inclement weather. It is not because it will not do the job. It is one of the best tools for small game hunting I have ever come across. The reason is due to it's construction. It has many options that make it more suseptable to damage. Since I plan on passing this rifle down through the generations, the least I can do is take very good care of it for my grandkids and their heir's. I had every intention of using it for hunting, regardless of weather but once I got it, and saw the level of craftsmanship, I knew I had to get another 22 for every day duty. Luckily I found an original Thompson Center Classic semi-auto, new in box for less than $150. This thing will hang right with my Custom Classic on the range and is an even a better woods rifle. The nice thing about semi's is that you do not have to take your eye off you target to actuate the bolt. I do not need a follow up shot very often but if I do, the crosshairs are already on his noggin. Enjoy your Annies, afterall every shooter should bring what works best for them to the field. Their quarry deserve nothing less.

Cheers,
RG
Old 09-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Snowwolfe
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Since most (not all) of the negative comments about Coopers are coming from people who rarely post in the Cooper forum this thread does not have much usefullness to it other than to draw up arguements.
Old 09-26-2011, 03:25 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
A question was answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
Since most (not all) of the negative comments about Coopers are coming from people who rarely post in the Cooper forum this thread does not have much usefullness to it other than to draw up arguements.
Whether it was a first post in this forum or the 1001th post the information shared here is valid, as I stated my opinion was indeed prejudiced and other people may have experienced different results.

My experiences were indeed with the model 36 Cooper.

I would like to try the Model 57 Cooper, but I don't want to spend the money for an experiment......
Old 09-26-2011, 05:50 AM
winchesterbob

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to winchesterbob
Glad my Coopers don't know that they're not supposed to shoot because of low cost barrels....while my special order Coopers sport Lilja barrles, the off the shelf Wilson-barreled guns have never failed to satisfy....

I also have one each of the Cooper-stocked Anschutzes which all shoot well....I do believe the Anschutzes have better triggers and a faster lock time than the Coopers...but I hate the wing safety on the Anschutzes....

My factory Anschutzes are all sporter weight rifles....none have the wood quality or fit/finish of my Coopers. Nor do they outshoot the Coopers....

I have no quarrel with the performance of either brand and, as others have noted, either is not a mistake if one wants a rifle built to perform.....