Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Who Owns a Marlin 57 Lever Action 22?

12K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Big Shrek 
#1 ·
I think I want one of these but want more input. Found a couple but how well do they shoot? How accurate? Any inherent issues with them? What value do they hold?

Any and all input much appreciated.

Curt

#2 · (Edited)
My first 22 was a 56 Levermatic - the magazine version. It shot quite well. Hey, it's a Marlin. The Levermatics were, of course, overshadowed by the 39s and nowhere near the build quality. Mine had an aluminum receiver and plenty of stamped parts, but it did have one the most gorgeous pieces of walnut I've ever seen. Took a truckload of squirrels and rabbits with that gun, not to mention gophers, crows and other assorted varmints. Never had a single issue as to feeding and ejection over the course of many, many thousands of rounds.

Eventually, the ejector broke off, but, by then, I had no shortage of other 22s, so sold it for parts. Would buy another one, but you don't see many of these, around.

#3 ·
I have a Marlin 56 in 22 LR and two Marlin 57M's which are 22 Magnums. All three have the steel receivers. Well made and straight shooters. The only problem is that they are no longer manufactured and parts are hard to find if needed. I paid premium prices for all three of mine because the 56 was brand new and still had the hang tag on it while the 57M's were barely used and in excellent condition. Paying $400.00 and up is not unheard of for either model in really great shape. I paid more than that for each of the ones that I have and not sorry that I did. Some of the early 57M's were marked as 57's so be sure of the caliber when you buy one. More info here:
www.leverguns.com/articles/malloy.htm

#4 ·
Marlin 57

I had a model 57 for my first rifle, I say had because I gave it to my son many years ago he still has it. I loved this gun, it was a blast to shoot and can remember one time I was rapid firing it, you know like the Rifleman, and it fired before the cartridge chambered and spit some lead back at me, this is when I was a young teen. As for accuracy you could hit anything you aimed at. At times I wish it still adorned one of my safes, but I know it is and will get the treatment it deserves for my boy.

#5 ·
I bought a 57M in 22 mag off of Gunbroker for $450.00 about a year and a half ago. I use it for shooting Lever Action pistol caliber silhouette. Mine was used but not abused and it shoots great, about 1" at 100 yards with a scope and CCI Maxi Mag ammo with the 40 gr bullet at 1875 fps. Since I shoot where only iron sights are allowed and I have an exceptionally large and strong jaw(thanks Dad!), I had to sand down the comb in order to get down to see through my Williams receiver sight. With the 24" barrel you are able to wring out all the velocity that exists in the 22 mag. That and the sighting radius is outstanding. I love mine and would use it in a New York second if I were going after rockchucks, maybe coyotes although not past 100-125 yards.:bthumb:

#6 ·
I'm still searching for a 57M locally myself...have a Sears 46C (Marlin 56 made for Sears)...

The Off-brands tend to sell for quite a bit less than the Marlin branded ones...
they tended to use Birch for the house-brand stocks instead of Walnut...but every once in a while you find a gem...

On the upside, you can shoot the stuffings out of the off-brands and not feel bad a bit ;)

#7 ·
One thing I forgot to mention, although you may already know it...
the levermatic series had a very short throw, compared to old-fashioned 1800's style levers...
only having to move a short distance to recharge the rifle made it almost as fast as a slide-action...
which is only a step below a semi-auto in speed...but those with fast fingers could be pretty darn quick...

#8 ·
I have a M56 (22 LR) magazine fed and a M57 (22 Mag) that is tube fed. The guns are incredibly accurate. I've heard they were built for accuracy. I just bought some Eley Match ammo and can not wait to see what my M56 will do at 50 yards.

Bob
I have a scope on it now...but it's a dandy....

#9 ·
My 57M in tube fed 22 mag is great fun to shoot and gets about 1.5" at 100 yards. The trigger can be heavy at times and my gunsmith says he cannot work on the trigger due to design issues ( this guy does a lot of cowboy action lever guns ) . But it is not ugly and my pawnshop find was under three benjies.
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (434 kB)

#10 ·
That trigger mech is a bit of a toughy, and if you monkey with the wrong thing, you can accidently disable the safety...
sooooo...just clean carefully & completely...then oil sparingly, then wipe off excess, then air dry, then re-install.

this guy seems to have the best writeup on 'em...
http://www.marlinowners.com/forum/other-marlins/80496-levermatic-owners-5.html#post1189141

This may help when looking for parts...
http://dickwilliamsgunshop.com/Marlin.html

Firing Pins in stock HERE! (get 'em NOW, you will need one later)
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/MarlinGlenfield-33379/Rifles-37333/57-38995.htm

Fun rifles :)

#12 ·
Big Shrek,

I hope the Sears and Rared Back model did not come from Pickett Weaponry in Newberry. On the other hand if it did, it is good one of us got it......

Meanwhile Dick Williams seems to have had the parts I need, I will know as soon as the mail comes in when ever hopefully within ten days. Can't hardly wait! Gonna get that puppy out of the safe manyana and pull the stock to be ready for the parts when they get here. Plop a set cheap scope mounts on the rails bolt a cheap scope on that puppy and await the coming of the needed bits.

I hope that barrel likes CBlongs so the local squirrels threatening my fig trees ( its that time again) can have something new to fret about.

-kBob

#15 · (Edited)
Big Shrek,

I hope the Sears and Rared Back model did not come from Pickett Weaponry in Newberry. On the other hand if it did, it is good one of us got it......

Meanwhile Dick Williams seems to have had the parts I need, I will know as soon as the mail comes in when ever hopefully within ten days. Can't hardly wait! Gonna get that puppy out of the safe manyana and pull the stock to be ready for the parts when they get here. Plop a set cheap scope mounts on the rails bolt a cheap scope on that puppy and await the coming of the needed bits.

I hope that barrel likes CBlongs so the local squirrels threatening my fig trees ( its that time again) can have something new to fret about.

-kBob
Mine came from a local pawn shop...and was pretty rough when I got it for cheap...

after a good cleaning/oiling, strip & restained stock...and adding a Sears Ted Williams 4x Scope & a Marlin Leather Sling ..
it literally shocked the pawn dude when I brought it back all pretty a week later :)

#13 ·
I have a 57m 22 magnum shoots better than I would have expected. I bought mine for 200.00 because I wanted a 22 magnum rifle to go with my Ruger single six. I did not know what it was. Except for being unable to find a serial number and almost invisible safety it is great.

#17 ·
Marlin 57M Commemorative

Coming out of college in the early 80's I had one. Great little gun to shoot, sure didn't know what I had with the Medallion on the side - used it for woodchucks, and killed a ton of sycamore balls for fun.
Wish I had it now - so I scour pawnshop racks and gunshow tables, always on the look-out for my little lever action.:(

I think even at $500, a well-cared for rifle is worth the money- that appears to be about the price point on GB.

#19 ·
I'm thinking about setting up a Marlin for shooting steel targets, the ccircular type on posts. Nothing fancy, box mag and low power scope or dot.
There is a local leauge that opens shoots to the public after the league teams shoot, five targets per stand.
I would be shooting just for fun, mostly to improve my off hand.
Semi's 22s aren't legal for hhunting in Pa. So I was thinking about a Levermatic so I could use it for steel and squirrels.
Do you guys think this would be a good idea?
A LGS had tube model for $275 in OK shape but I'm waiting for a box mag.

#20 ·
I'm thinking about setting up a Marlin for shooting steel targets, the ccircular type on posts. Nothing fancy, box mag and low power scope or dot.
There is a local leauge that opens shoots to the public after the league teams shoot, five targets per stand.
I would be shooting just for fun, mostly to improve my off hand.
Semi's 22s aren't legal for hhunting in Pa. So I was thinking about a Levermatic so I could use it for steel and squirrels.
Do you guys think this would be a good idea?
A LGS had tube model for $275 in OK shape but I'm waiting for a box mag.
The 57 and 57M are tube mags and not made in box mag type. If you want a box mag you will need a 56 in .22 LR.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.