Build for grandson - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:59 PM
jkingrph
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Build for grandson

Last Easter my ten year old grandson indicated an interest in my air pistols, and actually asked if he could have one. He shot a few and liked them, but then we took him to the rifle range for some .22LR time and nothing else was said.

He got to spend the week following Memorial Day with us and we again took him to the range where he had a good time, extending his shooting range out to 50 yards where he is doing pretty good for someone who has only been shooting like that four or five times.

I talked to my son last weekend about getting him a good pistol and got the ok. Crosman had just sent an email saying the 2300T was in stock so I placed an order. list price $159 , I used the discount code agnation and got it for $119

I had originally planned on getting a basic 2240, converting it to .177 cal , replacing the plastic breech with a steel breech , adding a LPA rear sight, and a super sear for a better trigger. The gun ships next week, but I have a spare Crosman stock trigger and a supersear, so I stoned the surface on the trigger that rotates against the sear as well as the sear surface, then polished both to a mirror shine on my hard felt buffing wheel so should get him a rather good trigger compared to the standard out of box trigger.

Buying the 2300T saved me a lot of cost over buying a standard 2240 and then swapping out parts and barrel.

It will probably end up being a birthday present for Aug 31 this year.
Old 06-12-2021, 08:02 PM
Beastly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bet he's gonna love it!
Old 06-13-2021, 09:46 PM
Turtle1903

TPC Rating: 
96% (19)
Yes that’s great to get younger generation outside and target shooting! I take my grandson shooting and recently got him a air pistol! But he likes shooting my hw 45 too! And getting to be a good shot with it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2021, 06:11 PM
jkingrph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The gun came in a couple of days ago. Yesterday I made my modifications, then took it out to zero. I started by shooting , loosening the grub screws on the LPA rear sight and adjusting windage that way to get it close, then using the sights internal adjustment to fine tune. I then attached a little Vortex Venom red dot and zeroed it so that he can have that option also. The trigger mods took it from an OK 4 lb pull down to a smooth 2.5 lbs, not to hairy for a 10 year old, but still smooth enough and light enough so he can develop some better skills.
Old 07-10-2021, 07:43 PM
jkingrph

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My son and the grandson were over for the weekend of July 4th. I showed my son and he thought it good, and suggested that we wait until Christmas, and let Christopher get a few months of maturity, plus they just moved into a new house, and he has been making a lot of new friends in the neighborhood. That will give me time to make a few more modifications in a more leisurely manner.