Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:41 PM
jimC2
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
BB stock cleaning

For you owners of BB's or similar rifles I have a question. I have one that looks like someone used a brush and painted it brown. What can I use to clean and refinish it? If the wood looks halfway decent I might just skip the staining part.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:21 AM
Charlotte
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (-1)
Use a liquid stripper from Home Depot or other source. I prefer the liquid over the gel types but you may prefer the gel. Do small areas and proceed to the next until the whole stock is stripped. It's a pretty simple process. Apply the stripper with a paint brush and wait for it to make the finish soften and wrinke. Use plastic scrapers and plastic bristle brushes toremove the softened finish. Be sure and wear gloves as stripper will really burn your skin.
The next step after stripping is to wipe down the stock with acetone or laquer thinner to get rid of the residue from the stripper. That residue will cause fish eye and other problems while trying to put on another finish.
After that you can determine what kind of finish you want and whether the wood needs any sanding or filling.
There are 2 different kind of stains, pigment and dye. Dye is transparent color and pigment is opaque and blocks light. If you want to really see the wood in the finished product, use dye stain. If there are numerous flaws you'd like to minimize, then go for the pigmented stain.
The grain of the wood on myBiathlon Basic is probably like yours and I think it would look very good with an oil finish, but that's just a personal preference.
A good home made stain is made using an old piece of roofing shingle and some kind of solvent to soak it in like turpentine or even gasoline. Let it soak for a couple of days and you'll wind up with a dark walnut stain that looks very good on military stocks like on a 1903 or 03A3.
Behlen makes a very good line of wood finishing products and is just a "public" branded Mohawk product line. In the furniture finishing and repair trades Mohawk is the gold standard. Google Mohawk finishing products or Behlen if you don't have a specialty store in your area like Woodcraft or Rockler. If you have one of those stores close by then you are in luck and you'll have a one stop shop to get everything you need including help since those kind of stores are staffed by people with a lot of hands on experience and product knowledge.

Last edited by Charlotte; 08-05-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:29 AM
jimC2
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. Sounds like good info to go by. I'll get the stripper today and see what the stock looks like before I decide on a finish. Will try to get some pictures of what it looks like before finishing and after.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement