Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Kershaw knives

42K views 124 replies 70 participants last post by  clisbyclark 
#1 ·
What is the general opinion of Kershaw knives here?
I've only got two, the latest is one I just got Monday. It's a model 1550st folder with spring assist opening. It's US made and has a great edge. I picked it up for $15 at a pawn shop.
Overall, I like what I've seen so far. More Kershaws will probably find their way home with me in the future.

#33 ·
My EDC for many years was a Scallion. I just picked up a Cryo for something different. I really like an assisted opening folder for EDC.

Gave the best man at my wedding a Scallion the was rescaled by Santa Fe Stone Works.

Michael

#34 ·
kershaw elmax

I got this for Christmas, it seems to hold the edge better than any knife i've owned in the last 20 yrs. Its a usa assembled knife made from powdered stainless steel, something new they came up with i guess. UDDEHOLM VANAX ® is the steel from Sweden

#35 ·
I have quite a few Kershaw knives and two of my favorites are the mini task and the gentleman. The gentleman's are discontinued but occasionally sell for about $50-60.00 on Ebay but are very high quality. This lockback has a VG10 blade and a micarta folding handle. I think they were made by Moki in Japan and lock shut like a bank vault. When open the seam between the blade and the back spring is almost invisible. I have custom knives that cost $300.+ that aren't of the same quality. The mini task isn't made anymore either but are a cool knife if you find them on the used market. And the Kershaw multi tool is bringing big $ considering you could buy them for $20.+- not long ago but sadly also discontinued.

#38 ·
I just bought a Kershaw this weekend . . .

. . . a 1060 Black Horse clip bladed folder made in Japan. The newer Black Horse II is still manufactured (I think). Black synthetic finger gripped handles, a good work horse I think. Flea market buy for $25 - the blade is hardly used, but the grips look a little banged around, it probably spent time in a tool box by my guess.

#39 · (Edited)
I have a Leek that I bought a few months ago, which has replaced a French Opinel as an everyday knife. I use it at least once a day and like the design. It is smaller, but heavier than the Opinel, more compact than the Chinese-made Buck (770 G) and the Taiwanese-made crkt Mt Rainier 6612n. Weights of these knives are:

Leek: 3.0 oz
Opinel: 2.2 oz
Mt.R. 4.15 oz
Buck 770G 4.0 oz

Here's what they all look like (same order as the weight list):

The carbon steel blade of the Opinel is easy to sharpen. I have had that knife longest and the sharpening has begun to change the shape of the knife's sharp edge. The Chinese-made Buck feels the cheapest, but I have two because of the clip, and use it as a boat knife (don't want to be on a boat without a knife . . .). I find the Leek the most attractive of the knives, but that sort of thing is just individual taste. The Opinel fits my hand best.

[Edit: I very much appreciate the single-hand operation of the Buck and the Leek -- in fact, this is a requirement for me for a boat knife (never know what you need to grab with the other hand...). The Mt. Rainer can be opened one-handed, but it is not as good a design for this. The Opinel is not as convenient in this respect at all. For day-to-day use, this is more a matter of convenience than necessity.]

#41 · (Edited)
Based on recommendations in this thread, I ordered and received an orange Ken Onion Leek 1660 from Amazon (like the one to the left but in burnt orange finish). To my disappointment, the Tip-lock feature is broken as it arrived. I could return to Amazon but have contacted Kershaw instead to see if they will send me the plastic piece to replace/repair it. I figured if Amazon sent out one that was defective, the next might be also. I like the knife but it's kinda slippery for one handed opening in my big hands. One thing, it's very sharp. I bought a T6 Torx bit to reverse the clip as it is not handy for me the way it arrived. Better now.
http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-1660O...8&qid=1393699624&sr=8-7&keywords=kershaw+leek
The knife is burnt orange, not the color as shown.

Note: contacted Kershaw and they are sending two new replacement parts. No questions asked. I'm impressed.

#40 ·
nOOby . . .

. . . if you like the Buck one hand opening knife, you may want to check out (if you haven't already) the Buck 730 Extract, a one handed opening Buck multi-tool which ALL tools are able to open one handed. It too is Chinese made, but I thought it sounded very useful, especially for what you mention as a 'boat knife'.

#43 ·
More Easy Riders . . .

. . . really like those rounded eased edges. :cool:

2001 Good Buddy. Minimalist tool knife.

2002 Chum

2050 Rustler and 2655 Doc (the Doc with brass frame).

2050 Rancher and 2070 Big Foot

There are a lot of the Kershaw Easy Rider family, found this picture of a nice collection of them on the net.

#44 ·
A coupla more Kershaws for viewing . . .

The 1030 Deer Hunter sheath knife is a popular model, its been in production for quite a while. This one is an older model, Lake Oswego production. Its been used but still in great condtion.

Kershaw 1060 Blackhorse, this one in newer condition than the model mentioned previously. A heavy duty 'worker bee'.

Kershaw 1015 Bowie - big scary blade! The 1000 Kershaw series were synthetic handled field users, plain and simple.

1017 Trout Bird - name sez it all.

Kershaw became backlogged with production and commissioned a few other manufacturers to make their knives. The Miniagio Italian lock backs were one such model, I believe there were three different sizes of them. This 1310 is the medium.

Many did not like their appearance but I'm not one of them. :) This one is much more recent, a big pocket EDC that (to me) is stretching it a bit. The 1475ST Storm II combo edge.

#48 · (Edited)
Yes, the 1030, a sweet knife indeed.

:bthumb: Its name is the Deer Hunter. I have a picture of same knife on previous page.

Another of the 1000 series, the 1029 Bird and Trout. 4" blade, 8 1/2" oa length.

I think the only surviving 1000 series knife is the 1030 Deer Hunter, the others have been discontinued. :(

#51 ·
I have the Junkyard Dog as my EDC at work. I have big hands and this knife fits me perfect holds an edge and is easy to sharpen. I also have the Whirlwind and the #1015 Bowie.

#52 ·
I like the Ken Onion designs for everyday carry, own the Leek, Scallion but really like the Shallot (the largest) best. Prefer the softer steel for ease of sharpening, that SV30 is too hard.

I think these are made in Oregon. Not a fan of their Chinese products and will probably start buying Ontario Knives (Made in the Southern Tier of New York State, a traditional knife making area) in the future.

#53 ·
This Kershaw Kaper 2300 is one of the best small fixed blade knives in my accumulation. Designed by Tom Veff & mfg'd by KAI in Japan. The blade (& full length tang) is very thin & flexible but extremely strong & holds an edge well. The 'gimped' blade & tang aids in easy control, especially when doing delicate work with the point. I've used it to completely dress a deer but it really shines as a slicing/de-boning tool. With a 3" blade & 4" rosewood scales it's just over 7" overall; weighs under 3oz & the 'welted', flapped sheath makes it easy to carry with no worries of losing the knife.

These two Scallions & the little Chive at top have a place in my EDC rotation...

#54 ·
Very nice knife Nobody . . .

. . . do you know the purpose of the jimping on the pommel end of the knife ? Maybe the same purpose - more gripping power on that end. It does appear to be great tool. :t

I too prefer the flapped knife pouch for the same reason you mentioned - more security from loss. In fact, I used to wear a Buck 105 Pathfinder with same style of pouch on my belt upside down for some years and never lost the knife. Flap came undone but knife stayed in place. Why wear it that way ? Because the knife did not flap against my leg when walking, nor did it get in the way when I sat in a chair. It is a bit difficult to place back in sheath after use though, and that was why I ultimately gave it up - too much trouble for a camp blade.

#55 ·
j.r., I've no idea what the jimping (dunno how I misspelled that in the OP) at the pommel is for, other than gripping assist. I've surmised that with the nice rosewood handles (they can get slippery sometimes) it is probably to assist in maintaining grip/control. Yeah, it's a very nice little knife, & easy to use. My grandson used to borrow mine so much I finally found another on eBay & bought it for him. They've been discontinued for a few years now.

I really like the 'flapped' sheaths. They can be a little un-handy if ya take it in & out frequently but sure makes for more peace of mind in my case...

#57 ·
I've had this little knife for a couple of years. Picked it up 'on the cheap' mainly because it had been 'knocked around' a bit. It cleaned up nicely tho & is a very nice size (3" closed, 2 1/4" blade) for discrete carry tho a little heavy for carry in dress clothes. It's a Kershaw model 4100 Whiskey Gap, made for Snap-on's 70th anniversary. Dunno if these were gifts/premiums for employees/custdomers, or what? & not sure of the significance of the serial numbers on the bolster, or total number made. Mine is SN W 5577 & I saw one sell yesterday on eBay SN E 9??. I've watched several listed on eBay & none have duplicate SNs regardless of the prefix?? Anyway, it is a nice little knife that I'm happy to have...

#58 ·
They were abailable to all the dealers Harv, I've got the rest of the knives, there were 3 of them, ain't looked at em in years, have the 75th issue knives too, I'll hafta dig em out and see whats what...they were limited, but I cant rememeber from my dealer days just how limited they were

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.