Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 PM
MHSP
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stinger ammo,barrels,receivers,stocks and scopes

Hello fellow Patriots and shooters!
Now that I am retired I can read and post some when I can offer something of substance............
Years ago I came on with RimfireCentral as a member. Several moves and email changes have wiped out my membership begin date---I am proud to have been around for many years
My user name and so on is different now
I was a Moderator on a old defunct,but popular gun site and some of you may remember my dear friend and Rimfire Central member Chief Dave--R.I.P. Dave and now me always thought the CCI Stinger should have it's own thread here on Rimfire Central and if a few of you go with this set up maybe it will!

Dave was a developer and tester for the now .17HMR round
He was a very knowledgeable man and his well of knowledge will be missed
Back in those days he and I were big fans of the CCI Stinger round.
I was a member of my state's Department of Public Safety and had some connections in the weapon related world.
Dave and me knew the Stinger had potential but was hampered by the lack of a proper barrel for it,one that would allow it to be accurate
Before I retired I contacted the fine folk over at Green Mountain Barrel and discussed what--barrel wise--it would take to put the Stinger into it's rightful place where accuracy is concerned.
My thoughts were taken into account and I asked them to cut me a .920 barrel 16"long and cut the chamber with a Stinger specific reamer.(That had to be made) but now it exist! Make the barrel non fluted,stainless steel covered in Teflon.
They did that. It has a 1in17 twist which perfectly stabilizes the hot 32 gr projectile and the chamber that fully supports the dimensions of the Stinger round. You have proper clearance from nose to groove and the case is completely supported. I cannot stress how that is necessary where safety is concerned
Owing to my loyalty to Rimfire Central I supported one of their fine vendors at KIDD. I had them send me a 100% complete KIDD receiver---fine indeed
I went with a Hogue overmolded--it is a good as any and will withstand lots of real world use. Now allow me to indicate at this point that I am basically familar with big expensive names in the Gunstock world but the Houge is a real world one......nuff said
I went with a Leupold Rimfire fine duplex with Burris mounts onto the picatinny rails, I could put a much higher priced scope on but this package is for me and keeping the cost down. The only thing Ruger I have on the rifle is the fine 10 shot rotary magazine
Now you can buy the 'parts and pieces' to make a high speed .22LR rag the hole. Green Mountain will treat you right on the price of the barrel and the other items are common ones to obtain
Hope some of you shooters will want to try one out for size
The size groups? It rags the hole

MHSP

Last edited by MHSP; 03-01-2015 at 08:19 PM.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:39 PM
303lithgow
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is this on a 10/22?
Old 03-01-2015, 09:09 PM
kenny22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why 16"? Wouldn't stingers benefit from a longer barrel?

I bet you are losing 100 fps or more with a 16" barrel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2015, 11:57 PM
MHSP
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
22 Stinger

303lithgow---thanks---you can use any 'piece' except the barrel from Ruger as their 1022. I used the complete KIDD receiver--ruger 10-22 clone and the mentioned other brand name pieces. The only Ruger item I retained was the 1022 magazine. You can use--I suppose with no ill effects--all Ruger 10-22 parts except for the 22 Stinger specific barrel--which is the heart of the package.
kenny 22--thanks for question 16" has long been all the barrel length you need with a .22 even the Stinger for max velocity. Green Mountain clocked the speed in various lengths when I was working with them on it. I clocked the speed on my DPS Armory chron and the reason 16" is all that you need is because the amount of powder that the 22LR--even the Stinger has-- is burned all it is going to burn within that 16" tube.
You do not gain one more bit from having--say a 22" barrel--which I have and the velocity on all the ammo I have clocked is no faster in that than the 16"
You will lose or gain velocity with some calibers but they have more powder to be burned. You and I know with say a .357 mag round the orginal advertised velocity was from the actual revolver with the 8+inch barrel and with that round you will lose velocity for each inch you take away--not so with the 22lr if you go longer than 16"
Old 03-02-2015, 12:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
More length gave more velocity here..........

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html
Old 03-02-2015, 09:51 AM
oldoak2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome back, MSHP

Interesting post on the stingers!
I would be interested to see how they group at 100 yards with this setup (assuming your test was at 50 yrds).
I too have been tinkering with 'getting a little more' out of the stingers, namely at longer ranges.
This pic gives a hint:

Yes, that's a ballistic tip (added to a quick-shok HV, as I haven't found my stingers yet)!
I plan to make up and test a batch of stingers 'with a BT' -vs- a batch 'without', all at 100 yards.
Yes, I've heard all the wally-hoo that '22lr won't benefit from a Ballistic Tip', but nobody has PROVED to me conclusively that 'a BT wont help on HYPER-VELOCITY 22LR at longer ranges,' like 100Y.
May have to send a batch to you to test on that rig!
Old 03-02-2015, 10:33 AM
NoNewTricks
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
So where do you get the BT for insertion into the bullet?
Old 03-02-2015, 10:55 AM
flylo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
97% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post

Nice chart Thank you, but odd that 16" & 14" show less velocity than 15" & 13"?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:13 PM
oldoak2000

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNewTricks View Post
So where do you get the BT for insertion into the bullet?
pulled from a z-max .224 bullet (same a v-max). Profile matches perfect.
Will use dremmel-press to prep the Stingers for 'insertion'.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:44 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NIB View Post

I like what these guys have done. But if you read the PROCESS http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/process.html I think their data is more back-of-the-envelope than hard science. Even with that a 1% difference in speeds is more like statistical noise than conclusive results.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:01 PM
MHSP
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stingers

If a shooter wants a longer barrel to shoot the Stingers out of then I am sure Green Mountain will oblige
I am clocking the velocity that CCI advertises and the spread is very close
The accuracy is there and if a person likes the Stinger and wants a set up that makes it's accuracy vastly improved then now that is possible
Old 03-02-2015, 02:13 PM
303lithgow
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylo View Post
Nice chart Thank you, but odd that 16" & 14" show less velocity than 15" & 13"?
I noticed that too.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:34 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I assume they "chop sawed" the 22's but I'm not sure? Maybe their cutting/filing method left a burr/bump? Would have been nicer had they said they scoped the crown and made sure all was well.

Look at the much longer barrels below that "1 inch" chart. The Kimber Classic with a 22 inch barrel kicked em out there. A well honed well sized barrel? Or perhaps a few rounds had been fired out of this Kimber polishing it?