Anyone want to see some .22 conversions? - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:22 PM
MG34_Dan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1928 Thompson SMG .22 Conversion

Here are a few pics of my hybrid Black Dog Machine (BDM) 1928 Thompson SMG conversion. I got it some time ago from Paul Krogh (PK), Diamond K, Delta Colorado. The kit is designed to work with M1 or 1928 Thompson SMGs not semi-auto Thompsons.

The man, PK hisself:

PK not only tuned it for my West Hurley 1928 Thompson, he also modified an '80s vintage Auto Ordnance (AO) 1928 .22 conversion feeding arrangement to work with this BDM kit. The BDM kit uses plastic magazines while the AO feeding system consists of a magazine adapter and steel magazines. I much prefer using the AO steel magazines over the BDM plastic magazines.

This conversion is my funnest of all my conversions. It is very reliable and the ROF is very slow, about 500 RPM. Plus it runs very cleanly. I can get 1200 to 1500 rounds fired before it needs to be cleaned. Maybe this is because a Thompson SMG fires from an open bolt. I don't know the reason why it runs so cleanly. I just accept it.

The conversion likes Federal and Remington high velocity or standard velocity ammunition. Winchester fodder will not work, as I get short stroking and failure to eject with it.

My Thompson with the conversion kit installed as I run it:

Muzzle end view showing barrel nut tightened against the Cutts compensator:

Ejection port view of the magazine, ejector, and .22 barrel breach:

Modified AO .22 steel magazine within AO magazine adapter, top view:

AO magazine adapter, modified AO magazine, and unmodified AO magazine:

The BDM plastic magazines I prefer not to use:

The .45 ACP internals are removed, a .22 caliber barrel is inserted from the breach end into the .45 caliber barrel, a barrel muzzle nut is used to secure the barrel insert in place, and the .22 caliber bolt assembly is installed.

The .45 ACP internals that are replaced:

The .22 barrel insert with muzzle nut (notice ejector pinned to insert breach):

Magazine well view of barrel insert installed showing ejector and barrel breach:

The .22 caliber bolt, cocking handle, and recoil spring:

Bottom of installed .22 caliber bolt showing steel construction:

Unlike many other open bolt sub guns, the Thompson does not use a fixed firing pin. There is a hammer arrangement on the bottom front face of the bolt. When the bolt goes into battery, the hammer gets smacked into the inside front of the receiver and the firing pin is pushed out. It seems rather funky to me, but it works reliably.

Front bottom views of .45 ACP bolt and .22 caliber bolts showing their hammers:

.22 conversion all cleaned up and placed back into its carrying tray:

Everything all stowed away and ready for another outing:

Last edited by MG34_Dan; 07-19-2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Fixed Postimg links to now view all pictures.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM
minimouse

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Dan...really, really nice toys! Thanks for posting.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:49 AM
MG34_Dan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
HK .22lr Conversions

Here are a pair of factory HK .22lr conversions:

The factory boxes appear pretty much identical.

But when we open them up, we find the upper box houses an MP5 .22lr conversion.

(The short barrel in the lower right is for use with an MP5SD. I got it from Bill Fleming years ago.)

The lower box contains an HK 33 .22lr conversion.

Notice that all the conversions use HK 270 .22lr 20 round magazines with custom nylon adapters attached.

Last edited by MG34_Dan; 07-19-2020 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Fixed Postimg links to now view all pictures.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:49 PM
whiz-bang 100

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would like to see your MG34 MG34 Dan.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:56 PM
MG34_Dan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiz-bang 100 View Post
I would like to see your MG34 MG34 Dan.
I'll take some pics and post them tomorrow. I have two of them, but neither has a .22lr conversion.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

As promised here are some pics. Since both of my MG34s are nearly identical, I took some pics of my BREN with one MG34. Surprisingly, both are nearly identical as to length and weight.

Let's first look over the MG34:

This MG34 was made in 1944 by the Bruno Works in Czechoslovakia. All Bruno MG34 tooling came from Steyr in Austria. In 1943 Steyr concentrated on producing MG42s, but Germany still needed MG34s, so their tooling was transferred to the Bruno Works in German occupied Czechoslovakia. They took over MG34 production from Steyr.

This weapon has serial number 3375a making it the 13,375th MG34 that Bruno produced in 1944. It is fully functional and a "Post" Dealer Sample machine gun. It IS NOT transferrable to an individual.

The MG34 is a belt fed weapon that fires from an open bolt. It has an approximate rate of fire of 850 rounds per minute using surplus Romanian 8mm steel cased ammo.

The MG34 is a select fire weapon using a two position trigger. If you wish to fire in semi auto mode, place your trigger finger in the upper "E" position and squeeze. The "D" finger position will fire the weapon in full auto mode. The little swinging switch above the trigger is the safety. When the "F" is exposed, the weapon will fire. To place the weapon on "Safe", swing the switch down and cover the "F".

Now let's examine the BREN gun.

This BREN was manufactured in 1944 by Inglis in Canada. It is a MkII model with simplified rear sight, simplified cocking handle, and no provision for a "Dial Sight" used for extreme long range and indirect shooting.

Unlike the MG34, the BREN uses 30 round box magazines. The magazine pictured is a 45 round anti-aircraft magazine. The BREN also fires from an open bolt. It has a rate of fire of approximately 550 rounds per minute using surplus South African brass cased .303 British ammo.

The BREN is also select fire with a selector/safety swinging switch located on the left side directly above the trigger. The forward "A" position allows the weapon to fire in full auto mode. The center "S" position places the weapon in Safe mode. And the rear "R" (Repeat) places the weapon in semi auto mode.

This BREN is a fully functional machine gun and IS transferrable to an individual. Needless to say, it is considerably more valuable than the MG34 pictured above.

Last edited by MG34_Dan; 07-19-2020 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Fixed Postimg links to now view all pictures.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:27 PM
Trumpet
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
So, you have all these full autos, but can't afford a video camera?

Old 01-17-2015, 02:40 PM
langenc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yea, he has all his money in guns!!

It would appear to an untrained eye, mine, that the banana mag might get in the way of the sights.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:57 PM
MG34_Dan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet View Post
So, you have all these full autos, but can't afford a video camera?
Nope. I don't do video. But my buddy Mongo does.

1:41 into this video shows my MG34 firing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M3Vhy4RhqE

0:16 into this video shows my BREN firing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWUYvoCvwD8

Quote:
Originally Posted by langenc View Post
Yea, he has all his money in guns!!
It would appear to an untrained eye, mine, that the banana mag might get in the way of the sights.
I may appear that way, but the BREN has sights that are offset to the left. The magazine does not interfere with the sights in any way.

Last edited by MG34_Dan; 01-17-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:02 AM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
all of my ARs have a working conversion , my kimber 1911 has a working conversion ,

my 308 FAL para has a nicely working conversion ,

the colt SAA in the middle is a 22 conversion of a 3840WCF ,

i made up my own conversion of this fake 03A4 with the help of a few friends and bought a real nice conversion kit for an 03 ,

this is a parker hale conversion of the webley mkVI revolver , i have a made as of the mkIV as well

this retro M16 has a conversion in it

these three are all conversions to 22 cal from 303 british

Old 07-19-2020, 08:29 PM
MG34_Dan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I changed all the bad foto-suck-it links to now Post Image links so my pictures can now be viewed.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:21 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG34_Dan View Post
I changed all the bad foto-suck-it links to now Post Image links so my pictures can now be viewed.
Many thanks!!!!!
Old 07-20-2020, 10:46 AM
aarondhgraham
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Twisted Sister .22 adapter for the original Ruger LC9

Twisted Sister .22 adapter for the original Ruger LC9.

I bought this adapter for my LC9 and absolutely love it,,,
It's helped me to learn to snap shoot the LC9.

Here it is mounted on "Ruth".

Aarond

Old 07-20-2020, 11:31 AM
skywag
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is there a conversion kit for my P228?
Old 07-20-2020, 11:38 AM
MG34_Dan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywag View Post
Is there a conversion kit for my P228?
SIG used to offer a .22lr conversion kit for non-railed P228s/P229s a while back for about $250. I haven't seen one for sale in a couple years. These conversions were identical in construction to the ones they offered in the US for the P220. Keep looking on GB and EB. I'm sure one will pop up.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:52 AM
MG34_Dan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Way back when Bill Fleming offered a .22lr conversion kit for the HK MP5. Other than the magazines, it appeared to be nearly identical to the HK conversion. But, Bill's kit was half the cost of the HK offering. Bill's magazines are heavy as hell. They feel link they are made from lead. Also, Bill's conversion barrel insert is slightly shorter than the HK barrel insert. Bill's barrel insert ends exactly at the MP5 barrel muzzle while the HK insert extends 1/4" past the end of the MP5 barrel muzzle. Here is Bill's MP5 conversion kit: