Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Paper
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

First things first.. Get a pc. of steel that's flat and make it black with a Sharpie.. Sharpen a nail or something on that line and make an outline of the extractor. This way you'll have a guide of how far you went so you won't get back to this point.
From there, my two suggestions are to have a dot of weld added to the tip and then file it down to the correct size, or get a pc of steel the right thickness and Dremel out another??

I've been a TIG welder for 30 years, so the first step is what I'd lean towards, but this is something that'll take skill and very low amperage.. About 26-28 amps with 1/16th wire.. My job has me welding dots of weld on the tips of razor sharp blades without burning away the surrounding edges, so I can do this repair in my sleep, but it's not something someone off the street would ever need to know how to do.

I took a touch too much off of mine and repaired it in 10 minutes, but I'm a welder... I dotted it and then filed it flat. Then I Dremelled the part back to the outline, leaving a touch more remaining. It worked the first time, but I knew exactly how much I took off.

Not sure what way to guide you and I don't have the parts here...
Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 AM
dognit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vincent,

Thanks for the input. I have not had a chance to fire it yet as I just got back from a few days off.

I just have tried to extract a live round. Unfortunately that is not happening.

Will post the results once I get to the range.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:41 AM
dognit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Paper,

Thanks for the advice on how to add a weld. My neighbor is a welder at the General Electric turbine plant. He may be able to help me.
Do you know if the extractor is heat treated metal? A local gunsmith told me you can't add a weld to a heat treated part. Not sure it the is true or not but that is what I was told.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by dognit; 12-22-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 09:01 AM
Paper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't think it's heat treated. It files way to easily to be hardened.

If he welds it with TIG welder, tell him to set his machine at around 27-28 amps. I'd clamp the part so it's grounded and hold 1/16" filler wire against the tip of the part to be built up. Stick the filler wire up about 5/16" past the part and actually strike the arc to the wire. Just a second of arc will melt the wire down to the part and pull off/break the arc quickly. Then just bend the wire back and forth until it breaks.

If he's using a Mig, clamp it on a pc of copper or aluminum and dot the part. The weld won't stick to the non-ferrous metal.

Chances are he knows both of these tricks, but it never hurts to pass the info along to help out..
Old 12-23-2013, 04:03 AM
dognit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good to know. Thank you much.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:16 AM
dognit

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Okay, the Holiday's are over and time to get back to normal living.

I did finally make it to the range and put 85 rds thru my R-55 All Weather.
83 of 85 rds ejected properly. 2 of them stove piped.

Can't say it wasn't the ammo. 22 LR's have been hard to find in this area. I found a 100 rd box of Remington Target std velocity 40 gr - 1150 fps. Although I have a couple thousands rds of 22 LR from four other mfg's I took what I considered the worst of the lot then work my way up to the better stuff.

When I go to the range I generally take half a dozen firearms a make a day of it. Usually 4-6 hours So I was tickled pink that this R-55 All Weather pretty much did what I was hoping for. I still can not eject a live round. I just took a little too much off. Not sure where that leaves me. I would like to be able to eject a live round but for now until I can get my hands on another extractor of add some metal to the existing one I will have to live with it.

I did contact Thompson Center and they emailed back and said they could fit it with another one. They will not send me an extractor......I have to send the rifle in. They claim they have to custom fit the extractor to each individual rifle. That was just before the Holidays. I was told they were shut down during the holidays and would contact me with a return authorization after they are back up and running. Guess I will see if it pans out.

Thanks for all the input guys......it was greatly appreciated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!

Last edited by dognit; 01-09-2014 at 01:34 AM.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:22 AM
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Cool

OK dognit---------so what has happened since the holidays???
Old 03-23-2014, 02:43 PM
bender21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine required too much to be removed to keep it from striking the chamber. It never had FTE before and now it was 1-2 for every 5 rounds. I figured I had nothing to lose with the now modified extractor so I removed metal leading to the pivot under the claw to change the angle and allow the claw to get more bite. I also had to remove material along the tail edge to provide clearance within the receiver. It now holds the round securely so it can strike the ejector. It looks very little like the original, but should extract reliably and keep from chipping the chamber. If your extractor is having trouble now, could try modifying it a little more and getting it to work again.
Old 08-10-2014, 11:08 AM
cottontoptexan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face TC Classic Results

I took my TC Classic out for the first time in several years on Friday. I managed to get 9/16 inch 5 shot groups and we had just a little wind coming in from the left hand side so I felt pretty good. I was using Eley Target Rifle. CCI Standard Velocity did around 7/8 of an inch. I feel the wind was a factor but just wanted to post my results. They started shooting a 50 yard match in my area off of the bench with production rifles. I will shoot my first one on Tuesday. I love the TC and not even sure if they make them anymore.
Old 12-27-2014, 12:37 AM
Randall

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Paper!,just ran across this ,I bought a new R 55-17mach2 a few years back and have never shot it,think I should do the mod before I shoot it? ser.no.19xx Thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 03:22 PM
tinytoon

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Do the R-55's have the same issue? If so, are the steps the same? I read through all the pages and someone mentioned the R-55 does not have the problem, then someone else said it did/could. I have a new Benchmark R-55 which is back at Thompson for another unrelated issue and would like to know if I should do the mod.

My R-55 has ~50 rounds since new but is back at the factory because it would one round then it would not fire again without engaging then disengaging the safety between each round.

While they have it at the factory is there anything I should ask them to do in regards to the chipping issue?
Old 02-11-2016, 03:14 PM
Joe03

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
To send back or not

I just purchased a like new Benchmark classic it's just starting the dreaded chip.I called and talked with customer service at Smith and Wesson the young man had said he never heard of the problem before he said I should send it in for service.There going to even cover shipping to them.I am not sure if it's worth while to send it in and have it gone 6 to 8 weeks ? The mod to the extractor looks pretty simple but it would be nice if they did something with chip if possible.Has any body found that the chip cause's problems ?
Thanks for the impute my first post been hanging around the forum for awhile
Old 02-11-2016, 04:30 PM
slickshot223
Fire FighterEmergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Wink

Have a classic that was showing signs of the "chip" issue, read on here somewhere how to fix, was able to rework the extractor to stop the progression. If you read enough on this thread you will find that they, S&W, have no fix or parts--they,TC, did exchange some rifles at early times, but unless something new has developed, you will need to make, or have made the repair!! You can make it stop the wear!!
Good Luck!!
Old 02-11-2016, 04:38 PM
jackfrost
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Thank you

I have been so afraid to shoot mine for fear of the dreaded chipped chamber. NOW I can fix it.

Jackfrost
Old 02-11-2016, 04:51 PM
slickshot223

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackfrost View Post
I have been so afraid to shoot mine for fear of the dreaded chipped chamber. NOW I can fix it.

Jackfrost
Just need to be patient in the process!! These rifle are quit accurate!! Have seen several of them at the Rimfire Sporter Match at Camp Perry!!