TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
stopped muzzle vs positive compensation

pic some thoughts on a stopped muzzle vs positive compensation???? marty
Old 01-10-2021, 08:00 AM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Some shooters say their tuned rifle that shoots very well at 50 requires no tuner adjustment to achieve its best results at 100. Others say the tuner needs adjustment when moving to 100 from 50.

Can both both be true at the same time?
Old 01-10-2021, 08:05 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
You can stick on a tuner, set it anywhere you want, and at some point in time with some lot of ammo at some distance it will shoot lights out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2021, 12:13 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
You can stick on a tuner, set it anywhere you want, and at some point in time with some lot of ammo at some distance it will shoot lights out.
In other words, one tune seting for one distance only.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:05 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Not what I'm saying at all. If you change enough variables enough times tune can be a random thing.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:10 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Or give your rifle to 50 experienced br shooters and ask them to tune it for you. You will get it back with tunes all over the map. Which one is the one best tune???
Old 01-10-2021, 05:00 PM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Or give your rifle to 50 experienced br shooters and ask them to tune it for you. You will get it back with tunes all over the map. Which one is the one best tune???
John, IME it is the tuner setting, that can shoot any quality lot and not have to adjust the tuner regardless of hot or cold, dry or humid. does this mean stopped muzzle, I don't know.
but as you know you can find a multitude of settings that can shoot really good, but only one will be able to perform on any given day with a good lot.

it is like which came first the chicken or the egg, so good tune first or a good lot of ammo?

Lee
Old 01-10-2021, 05:08 PM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penage Guy View Post
Some shooters say their tuned rifle that shoots very well at 50 requires no tuner adjustment to achieve its best results at 100. Others say the tuner needs adjustment when moving to 100 from 50.

Can both both be true at the same time?
PG, from my experience, it is ammo that can perform at both distances. why do you think they tunnel test at both 50 & 100m. if a shooter needs a lot to perform at both distances, having it only perform at one is not going to work at the other.

With good ammo, that can shoot at both 50 & 100 find the right tuner setting at 50m and it will shoot just as good at 100m taking into perceptive that the results are at twice the distance, so results will be in correlation to that difference.

Lee
Old 01-10-2021, 05:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It’s all new to me this jargon and tuner stuff. I come across this fellers page a month or so ago, lots to digest. Remember going into an article on this very topic. Still digesting info, good or bad.

http://rimfirebenchrest.com/articles...pedMuzzle.html
Old 01-10-2021, 06:57 PM
Penage Guy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
PG, from my experience, it is ammo that can perform at both distances. why do you think they tunnel test at both 50 & 100m. if a shooter needs a lot to perform at both distances, having it only perform at one is not going to work at the other.

With good ammo, that can shoot at both 50 & 100 find the right tuner setting at 50m and it will shoot just as good at 100m taking into perceptive that the results are at twice the distance, so results will be in correlation to that difference.

Lee
Indeed. Even though distinguishing the differences between two good ammos at 50 may not always be as clear as they are at 100, when one of them performs better than the other at 100, it must nearly always be doing better at half the distance.

With regard to tuner setting then, your view is that the one tuner setting that works on any given day can yield good results at both distances. Thanks.
Old 01-11-2021, 04:17 AM
linekin

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by W8LON View Post
It’s all new to me this jargon and tuner stuff. I come across this fellers page a month or so ago, lots to digest. Remember going into an article on this very topic. Still digesting info, good or bad.

http://rimfirebenchrest.com/articles...pedMuzzle.html
I'm sure I'd read the article multiple times years ago & had totally forgot about it. Hadn't thought about the water in the bore thing in years or even what it was about.
The "wait a minute" thing is really interesting as far as if rifle has the perfect tune or not. Not saying its a good way to tune a rifle or not.
What I will say is my #1 sporter will wait for me forever it seems. Lately I'd been shooting Midas & won't clean between cards for a match & my first 2 sighters more often than not are on the 10 ring. I'll just go to the scored targets after those 2 shots most times.
I have great confidence in it waiting while others I've noticed if they wait will often go to a sighter to plug it a couple times before they go back to score. I've taken a little flak over it several times in the past, but thats just been my experience with it.
I'm not as confident with any of my heavy rifles in doing that. Never have been with any of them & I'm more likely to shoot a couple sighters due to waiting with them.
Hmmm....
Thanks for posting the link

Keith

Last edited by linekin; 01-11-2021 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2021, 06:33 AM
Hi-NV Shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by linekin View Post
I'm sure I'd read the article multiple times years ago & had totally forgot about it. Hadn't thought about the water in the bore thing in years or even what it was about.
The "wait a minute" thing is really interesting as far as if rifle has the perfect tune or not. Not saying its a good way to tune a rifle or not.
What I will say is my #1 sporter will wait for me forever it seems. Lately I'd been shooting Midas & won't clean between cards for a match & my first 2 sighters more often than not are on the 10 ring. I'll just go to the scored targets after those 2 shots most times.
I have great confidence in it waiting while others I've noticed if they wait will often go to a sighter to plug it a couple times before they go back to score. I've taken a little flak over it several times in the past, but thats just been my experience with it.
I'm not as confident with any of my heavy rifles in doing that. Never have been with any of them & I'm more likely to shoot a couple sighters due to waiting with them.
Hmmm....
Thanks for posting the link

Keith
Keith, Your sporter has the key to getting your Heavy guns to shoot the same and wait for you. because it, sporter has a set amount of weight at the muzzle, it along with all sporters proves Bill is correct about set and forget.

the difficult thing is finding that one setting, because it is about the exact weight forward of the crown. it can be as little as 0.001 (1-click) forward or just adding a 1/4 gram of weight.

Lee
Old 01-11-2021, 09:22 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I tried 6oz of tire weights on my VQ and it got worse, same with 3oz... I took em off and put on my tin beak to pick poop with the chickens instead.

Did I say that??
Old 01-11-2021, 10:26 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Tuners are meant for and work best with dedicated custom benchrest rifles. Anything else is a crap shoot, may work, may not.
Old 01-11-2021, 01:20 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Calfee’s comments on moisture in the barrel as a chimney effect do to condensation are very good. As a competitive black powder shooter we would change up our cleaning regimen between shots. A dry crusty bore after the shot warranted a wetter cleaning patch. A muddy bore wet patch then dry patch. Throughout the day humidity change would often change from mud in the bore to crust. A warm barrel draws in moisture if the chamber is left open between shots as it cools.

Always much to learn and need to study the ringing of barrels to establish weight needed. With the easily removable barrel on my Martini MK V this may prove worthwhile do to length. I may need to pick up Calfee’s book if he goes into any detail on the subject.

On another note if my tuner ever arrives from Harrell’s it will come pre stopped. The mail has lost it with tracking only showing enroute for past week. It has stopped!