Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

0:04 / 6:59 .22lr Lethality Revisited - 300 Yard Ballistics Test

3K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  reverendg 
#1 ·
This is an old video and probably has been posted before but I think it's fascinating even today. It's just 6 minutes.

Frankly I've never shot my 452 at anything at 300 yards, benchrest or not. I'm impressed.

#5 ·
In reviewing an on-line ballistic chart which includes data for the mini-mag I see the following

Muzzle - 1,260 fps
100 yard velocity - 1,003 fps - bullet drop 5.6"
200 yard velocity - 874 fps - bullet drop 44.1"

My guess would be that the 300 yard data would show the velocity being in the 550 - 650 fps range and the bullet drop would be greater than 60 inches. If someone wants to believe that a 40 grain bullet at that distance is suitable for any other purpose than plinking then best of luck to them

My counsel would be this is why we have centerfire cartridges

Bill

#6 ·
I reviewed some of my shooting data and ballistics charts. Even standard velocity is still going around 700 fps at 300 yards. I've been getting 40 or more hits out of 50 shots on a 15" by 15" steel target at 350 yards with my Vudoo and my 10-22.
I have to crank on my scope pretty well. I haven't tried using holdover. Might be something to try.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1164837

Food for thought. :)

#7 ·
Im thinking a hash-lined scope reticule would be aces for hold overs, better than mil-dot as the dots subtend a lot of small targets?

#9 ·
My next thought would be a ret. with that small hole aperture at the crosshairs center?
What are precision LR shooters using?

#17 ·
Can you explain how you came up with this, I thought the drop of a 22 bullet at 300 yards was around 10 feet, standard 40 gr traveling around 1050 to 1070 fps.

Carl
I went in to my ballistics app and adjusted the zero distance to be 350 yards, which is what it is when I have adjusted the elevation on my scope. Wolf MT shows 77.1 " high at 200 yards and SK Biathlon shows 69.3 " high.

With a 50 yard zero, the drop is around 10 feet or more, but because I adjust the scope and point the muzzle more up in the air the bullet rises above the line of sight.

#14 ·
Parabolic trajectory vs 'flat'....
Considering that we are using basically 180deg above 'flat earth' and each degree has 60min. the few moa as trajectory is a thin amount of actual degree's at that distance.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.