Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Looking for a martini

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  David Valdina 
#1 · (Edited)
I inherited a Remington 37 which infected me with a bug for 22lr target rifles. I've acquired a few Anschutz rifles and a Remington 40x. I previously owned a Vostok CM2 (wish I still had it) and Kimber 82G.

A Martini is all on its own as different and interesting, so I would like to add one to my collection. I've browsed some pics and videos and they are beautiful, well made rifles.

What Martini rifles are desirable as target shooters? Not looking for rare collectables. Just something on par with an Anschutz accuracy wise I could use for 3P, silhouettes, or benchrest. What is a good price range? I have a couple on my radar, but I want to do my research before I drop some coin.

Edit: I should add that I primarily use aperture sights and I'm looking for an adjustable trigger.

#2 ·
Most of the Martini's were made as target rifles and all did well. The VERY early ones are fun, but "serious" shooters go for the International line....The Mk. I through the Mk. V series.
See this site: Ooops the site is down. Anyway, ask around. They are not cheap like several other brands....they are not made anymore, and as far as collectibility, who can say?
See this thread for the eye candy: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1157319

#5 ·
The Int. MkIII has about the best of the bunch for factory mods, but Im partial because that is mine.
There is a British website on the 'smallbores' with a Wealth of Info you need to see; wish I could remember right now what it is......

#7 ·
What Martini rifles are desirable as target shooters? Not looking for rare collectables. Just something on par with an Anschutz accuracy wise I could use for 3P, silhouettes, or benchrest. What is a good price range? I have a couple on my radar, but I want to do my research before I drop some coin.

Edit: I should add that I primarily use aperture sights and I'm looking for an adjustable trigger.
I have owned a MK II heavy barrel and and also an ISU (MK IV) that I shot in prone, 3-P/4-P, and also a little silhouette.

The MK II heavy is a fantastic prone gun and would be also a good bench gun, I believe, though I don't shoot benchrest so others could give a better opinion with bench shooting. I shot my MK II for several years in a position league and in prone competitions and had some good success with it. It is heavy (mine was 13 3/4 pounds with iron sights) for shooting standing but I did quite a bit of it. A tight shooting coat is essential for shooting standing with this weight of rifle. Though I was quite fit and strong at the time, I would still experience a sore back after shooting a lot. There is a MK II light version that would be better for standing and position shooting, in my experience.

I sold the MK II and purchased an ISU. It was nearly an ideal weight (around 10 1/2 pounds) and had fantastic balance for shooting standing. I had fun shooting silhouette with it and shot it in the same position league and prone competitions. The ISU was better for my shooting in every respect except the stock didn't fit me as well as the MK II stock. That may not be the case for you.

Both rifles had great sights, fantastic triggers and a neat action. They are fun to own and shoot. If you plan to shoot position or standing at all, I would recommend the ISU (MK IV) or MK II Light. Additionally, the ISU comes with a rail under the fore end so you can install your favorite hand stop and/or palm rest. The MK II has a more primitive front sling swivel mount, but it can be made to work. Though I don't own either one now, I really enjoyed shooting them and would definitely recommend them.

#10 · (Edited)
I sold the MK II and purchased an ISU.
And it's one of my favorite guns now. :) Appreciate being its caretaker and enjoying it. Only wish the elevation turret had numbered markings on the knob, it's very repeatable with all the distances we crank it from 25 yards to 200 yards and well beyond.

Had a good zero and was messing with the sight and found out what the small button does, don't push it....... Fantastic shooter, pretty easy to keep all rounds on a clay pigeon sized target at 197 yards.

The black area on the right side is a palm swell the original owner added, not the prettiest but is very comfortable and works, part of its history and will stay. Day of pictures was easily dinging a target past 200 yards and connected at 450 a couple of times shooting cheap Geco Rifle which surprisingly shoots very good in a lot of my longer range rimfires.

Topstrap

#13 ·
I sold the MK II and purchased an ISU.
And it's one of my favorite guns now. :) Appreciate being its caretaker and enjoying it. Only wish the elevation turret had numbered markings on the knob, it's very repeatable with all the distances we crank it from 25 yards to 200 yards and well beyond.

Had a good zero and was messing with the sight and found out what the small button does, don't push it....... Fantastic shooter, pretty easy to keep all rounds on a clay pigeon sized target at 197 yards.

The black area on the right side is a palm swell the original owner added, not the prettiest but is very comfortable and works, part of its history and will stay. Day of pictures was easily dinging a target past 200 yards and connected at 450 a couple of times shooting cheap Geco Rifle which surprisingly shoots very good in a lot of my longer range rimfires.

Topstrap
Nice lookin gun!

#12 ·
Imo, the MkIII is everything the MkII is, and more; not that the MkII isnt a great rifle, just that if given a choice between a II or a III Id go the III again.
+1 one on the weight, the about 14# is a bear offhand but it doesnt wave around in the wind!
My MkIII (and thus the I and II) is a fine bench rifle. The only thing to be aware of is that (unlike a bolt gun) you must get it high enough on the front and rear rests to be able to swing the lever beneath through the full set of your targets. By high enough I mean more than a smidge of clearance, if you are a scruncher it takes a little personal adjustment.

#16 ·
I love shooting my International Mill. I have had a number of target rifles but there is something about the Martini, incredible machining of the parts, extremely solid feel when working the lever and this one is very accurate. Some of the rifles I have had to compare with are Remington 37's, Winchester 52's, H&R M12, Haenel KK Sport, and several customs along with more that aren't coming to mind but the Mill is just fun. I hope you get one.

#17 ·
After looking around at the different models it seems like the MKIII is the one to have due to the free floated barrel versus the other versions having the forearm fastened to the barrel. I would think that if you're shooting with a sling or benchrest, any tension on the forearm would produce inconsistencies in point of impact. Has this been the experience of Martini owners?

#20 ·
CoolJJ...no interest in a pristine MK. V?

I sent you a private email a week or so ago, but no reply. If my message went into the ozone and but you have an interest, just say so and I will send pictures and more info...if not, then good luck on your search and MERRY CHRISTMAS!
Mike

#22 ·
A Martini Available

Hi, I also am a fan of the Martini action Rifles . I currently own Three C.F. Martinis But unfortunately sold my 12/15 .22 when I bought a real nice Winchester Model 75 Target .22 .but regretted it ever since.
Anyway there has been a Martini.22 For Sale on the ASSRA forums for a couple weeks now that I know nothing about, but thought I would mention since they are not that common. Good luck in your search. You can't go wrong with a Martini !

#25 ·
My experience, between models...

My experience, between models, has been that for my level of bench shooting, the 12/15 models shoot as well as the Mark models. All have shot very well for me. Even though they sit on a bench, I got to dislike lugging the weight of the heaviest (Mark International) from the house to the car, then to the range etc. I had the two 12/15 models free floated and crowned, whether they needed that or not. One went to a friend and I still own the other. Simple to pull apart and clean.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.