Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Tell Me about Al Freeland & Eric Johnson

10K views 65 replies 14 participants last post by  jebus627 
#1 · (Edited)
Won a Martini by Al Freeland & Eric Johnson pictures

Any one have a Martini that either Al or Eric worked on. Are these guns any more accurate after they worked on them then original? Someone at the club has one and he isn't computer knowledgeable so I told him I would ask here. Thanks, Larry

#34 ·
Laurie, just put 20.00 in an envelope to find out about the gun. Gonna keep the Uncle Al book and the 2 catalogs with the gun plus what ever you send. Does it list the person the gun was made for or that the barrel was sent to Al Freeland?? Will be on vacation next week not thinking about a response so time will pass fast. Interesting, Larry

#36 ·
I talked to Laurie on the phone the other night and he thinks I have number 11 of the 21 (?) super rifles made by Freeland. Gonna take some more pictures and post them, a friend of Laurie can help out with identifying the gun. While searching Al Freeland and seeing pictures of the super rifles I thought it would great to own one, a dream come true. Larry

#37 ·
If you really want to know what Uncle Al put out for Martini rifles, here is the best link. https://www.rockislandauction.com/riac-blog/tack-driving-target-rifles-of-uncle-al-freeland

It takes you to a blog about what he made and the rifles that were sold from his estate. Rock Island is both famous and notorious for what it sells.

The blog will have a link for each of the featured items and it will tell what the realized price was.:bthumb::bthumb:

#38 ·
Got the copy of Eric Johnson’s shop log book and it says “Barrel for Me” (Al Freeland) #11. The lever on the Al Freeland Martini has a number 11 on it. So I am assuming I have number 11 of the 21 Super Target 22 Rifles. Only on page 115 of Uncle Al.

Ordered a set of 1/4” blocks from Steve Earle and mounted the 15 power Lyman Super Target Spot Scope on the Martini. Looks great, can’t wait to shoot it and relive the era when this set up was popular. Larry

Attachments

#39 ·
Got the copy of Eric Johnson's shop log book and it says "Barrel for Me" (Al Freeland) #11. The lever on the Al Freeland Martini has a number 11 on it. So I am assuming I have number 11 of the 21 Super Target 22 Rifles. Only on page 115 of Uncle Al.

Ordered a set of 1/4" blocks from Steve Earle and mounted the 15 power Lyman Super Target Spot Scope on the Martini. Looks great, can't wait to shoot it and relive the era when this set up was popular. Larry
Nice looking piece. Enjoy it!

#40 ·
Took the gun out to shoot today and at 50 yards it shot 5” high. Adjusted it from about 10” high and ran out of adjustment at 5” high. OK, I need a shim or something to make the scope block higher in front or back?? What can be used for shim or does Steve Earle make some sort of shim for block height?? A fellow shooter suggests a piece of aluminum pop can under the block. Need help, Larry

Attachments

#43 ·
Will try the pop can under the front block. Won’t be able to try again at 50 yards till I go to that club again in about a month. Will have to shoot at 50 ft next Tuesday morning, it’s the only distance I have close to me. Both blocks are new from Steve Earle and are 1/4” tall. Thanks, Larry

#45 ·
My two cents worth

Were it me/my gun I'd do it right. More important right now would be the group size the rifle shot the way you got it.

Sounds as though it was set up for 100yds or more. If you're going to shoot 50yds do the following. Measure the barrel diameter at both bases. Measure the height of the bases and figure the difference for an idea of what the rifle was set up for.

Get ahold of Steve Earl and tell him what you have dimensionally and what your intentions are. If he doesn't have the bases you need he'll make them for you.

This rifle deserves more than shims and with the variance you have if you try to go that route you're looking for trouble.

Like I said, my 2 cents worth.

Beautiful rifle.

T

#46 ·
Were it me/my gun I'd do it right. More important right now would be the group size the rifle shot the way you got it.

Sounds as though it was set up for 100yds or more. If you're going to shoot 50yds do the following. Measure the barrel diameter at both bases. Measure the height of the bases and figure the difference for an idea of what the rifle was set up for.

Get ahold of Steve Earl and tell him what you have dimensionally and what your intentions are. If he doesn't have the bases you need he'll make them for you.

This rifle deserves more than shims and with the variance you have if you try to go that route you're looking for trouble.

Like I said, my 2 cents worth.

Beautiful rifle.

T
Come on Tom doing it the correct way is taking all the fun out of it....

AJ

#47 ·
Just a quick note on buying an 1/8” higher front block from Steve Earle and doing it right. I know everyone couldn’t sleep till they found out what I did with the rifle. One picture is with the Polish cardboard shims just to make sure it would work and picture number 2 is with the new block. Anyone looking for a 1/4” front block with .560 spacing I will ship it to you for 20.00 in excellent condition, I paid 28.00. Larry

Attachments

#62 ·
Just a quick note on buying an 1/8" higher front block from Steve Earle and doing it right. I know everyone couldn't sleep till they found out what I did with the rifle. One picture is with the Polish cardboard shims just to make sure it would work and picture number 2 is with the new block. Anyone looking for a 1/4" front block with .560 spacing I will ship it to you for 20.00 in excellent condition, I paid 28.00. Larry
Larry,

How is the Colt Mid Range doing?

AJ

#49 ·
Magnetic tape

AJ, you know that magnetic tape that you can buy at yer friendlyACE hardware? When I got my favorite 52B a lota years ago it came with Freeland tube sights. The fella who belonged to it had 2 thicknesses of that tape, maybe .090" each under the front sight. Still in place today and works good.:bthumb:

#51 · (Edited)
AJ, you know that magnetic tape that you can buy at yer friendlyACE hardware? When I got my favorite 52B a lota years ago it came with Freeland tube sights. The fella who belonged to it had 2 thicknesses of that tape, maybe .090" each under the front sight. Still in place today and works good.:bthumb:
Keeley,

It works! Still got the tube sight? I haven three Unertl's and two Redfield's.

These are my spares. Pick up most out of junk boxes at gun show and gun shops. Some were given to me by other .22 shooters. I and my friends use them as needed. The only rule is if you take a block your old block goes in the box for future reference.

AJ

Attachments

#52 ·
Stuff

Your accumulated "stuff" looks a lot like mine but I think you have more then I do.
I also have several scopes in the same category as yours that I'm looking to sell. Still have the tube sight and more. Best sighting system ever built IMO.

My eyes have gotten to the point that I've gone to trapshooting rather then the rimfire on the bench. Lotsa fun.

#53 ·
The "accumulated stuff" comes in handy from time to time.

I have not decided to sell any of my stuff yet. I do find my myself using my Lyman scopes more and more as the eyes get older.

My only two shotguns have 20 inch barrels on them (a Remington 870 and a Winchester Model 12). The barrels are not conducive to shooting trap or skeet........

Getting old sucks!!

#54 ·
Wow, you guys have a great collection of parts. Wish I lived closer. I’m making changes to my shooting technique also working on steadying the rifle on the bench to eliminate heart beats. Maybe next week I will travel an hour to the club with the multiple ranges and spend the day. Larry

#55 ·
Wow, you guys have a great collection of parts. Wish I lived closer. I'm making changes to my shooting technique also working on steadying the rifle on the bench to eliminate heart beats. Maybe next week I will travel an hour to the club with the multiple ranges and spend the day. Larry
Slow your heart rate will go a long ways to eliminating the scope jumping. No caffeine or nicotine will help. I have seen the Navy Pistol Team out of China Lake take valium prior to a bullseye match, when I was stationed in Calif.

#58 ·
Just wanted to show 2 - 1/4” groups I shot monday at 50 yards. Group 1 circled is 1/4” and number 2 is sub 1/4” and that’s what I wanted to do. It’s a bucket list item and I made it. Could have shot more but there was tooo much BSing. Gotta get back out to the range, winter is coming fast. Want to give the Anschutz 54 sporter a chance also, Larry

Attachments

#59 ·
Just wanted to show 2 - 1/4" groups I shot monday at 50 yards. Group 1 circled is 1/4" and number 2 is sub 1/4" and that's what I wanted to do. It's a bucket list item and I made it. Could have shot more but there was tooo much BSing. Gotta get back out to the range, winter is coming fast. Want to give the Anschutz 54 sporter a chance also, Larry
Larry,

Very good. However, you need to come shoot with us down here for two reasons. One is winter is still six months off and then we put on long pants. Two is we use new targets for every string of fire.

AJ

#64 ·
The Mid Range is doing great, don’t shoot it much like everything else in the safe. This Saturday is the NE Ohio Bunch which is a S&W collector group I have done for 11 years every spring & fall. It’s a fun group of like minded collectors that display and eat good. Should try & start a NE Ohio Martini Bunch next, Larry

#65 ·
The Mid Range is doing great, don't shoot it much like everything else in the safe. This Saturday is the NE Ohio Bunch which is a S&W collector group I have done for 11 years every spring & fall. It's a fun group of like minded collectors that display and eat good. Should try & start a NE Ohio Martini Bunch next, Larry
Glad to hear the Mid Range is doing well. It is a nice gun. Retired my other wad cutter Colt and bought a 52 S&W. Have enough S&W's should probably join a S&W group.

Have a friend in Meadville, Pa. that has six or eight Martini's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.