Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

New Trombone Arrived Today

25K views 158 replies 26 participants last post by  Traptinkansas 
#1 · (Edited)

Sorry for the crap picture. Most likely 2nd year of production and all original with all matching numbers, sights etc.

Very pleased.

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Ok....great....glad to see the trombone. I Always stop by the Browning forum, but I normally expect to see threads on Buckmarks, etc. Nothing wrong with them....just not my cup of coffee. :D

The trombone is one of my favorites.....very slick little guns. And frankly, I prefer the older ones over the newer ones. Congratulations on the acquisition of a very fine slide action. :bthumb:

#20 · (Edited)
The top rifle is a 33xxx rifle and the bottom is a 140xxx rifle from near the end of production, I am partial to the 33xxx rifles because of the dark wood which I really like.

The top rifle is completely original and in very, very good shape with all matching serial numbers.

The bottom one is nice but if you look carefully (which I didn't) you can see that the rear sight is not original which was disappointing but such is life. While the seller described it as 'one of his very best Trombones" he was not correct as there is some blueing missing on the other side of the barrel; which he neglected to tell me about which I thought was dirty pool to say the least.

But having a Trombone arrive, for me, is like a cloudy day on Maui, it's still nice and on balance I have bought some rifles at below market value so I am reasonably happy.

Interestingly the later Trombones have black anodized (like) aluminium butt plates.

The two rifles are the same length; anything else is merely the angle of the shot.

#35 · (Edited)
Franken Trombone

So....I ordered a Trombone off the internet from a LGS (not local to me) and from the less than ideal pictures I could see that it was marked unusually from what we normally see in Canada. The sights and wood are correct although the rear sight elevator is missing. The receiver is factory grooved for scope rings.

The s/n is 69W14XX (on the under side of the barrel in front of the magazine tube) and it only has the Perron inside a circle with PV surmounted by a crown. This proof mark is on top of the receiver and on the just in front of it on the barrel. One would suppose 1969 manufacture?

So far so good.

The lower receiver however has a s/n of 518 (the preceding numbers are left off which is often the case), the butt plate is marked 407, the carrier retainer/assembly piece is marked 19X (the last number has been over stamped and looks like an 8 on top of a 0 on top of a 6) and as a grand finale the pump handle has a serial number of 1335XX ~ the last two numbers are not 18 as in 518 like the pump handle.

Crack me up.

My initial suspicion is that this is more than two rifles which have been mis-assembled at some point. Usually in this case the uppers match and the lowers match but I have never seen such a variety of s/n on a Trombone. Additionally there is a distinct lack of inspectors marks as compared to any other Trombone as far I can recall. I will have to go look at some of the later ones to refresh my memory on this point.

However a 1335XX is in the region of being made no later than 1968 so it is possible that this is a factory rifle made up of whatever was at hand for whatever reason.

Always an adventure with Trombones! :)

#39 ·
So....I ordered a Trombone off the internet from a LGS (not local to me) and from the less than ideal pictures I could see that it was marked unusually from what we normally see in Canada. The sights and wood are correct although the rear sight elevator is missing. The receiver is factory grooved for scope rings.

The s/n is 69W14XX (on the under side of the barrel in front of the magazine tube) and it only has the Perron inside a circle with PV surmounted by a crown. This proof mark is on top of the receiver and on the just in front of it on the barrel. One would suppose 1969 manufacture?

So far so good.

The lower receiver however has a s/n of 518 (the preceding numbers are left off which is often the case), the butt plate is marked 407, the carrier retainer/assembly piece is marked 19X (the last number has been over stamped and looks like an 8 on top of a 0 on top of a 6) and as a grand finale the pump handle has a serial number of 1335XX ~ the last two numbers are not 18 as in 518 like the pump handle.

Crack me up.

My initial suspicion is that this is more than two rifles which have been mis-assembled at some point. Usually in this case the uppers match and the lowers match but I have never seen such a variety of s/n on a Trombone. Additionally there is a distinct lack of inspectors marks as compared to any other Trombone as far I can recall. I will have to go look at some of the later ones to refresh my memory on this point.

However a 1335XX is in the region of being made no later than 1968 so it is possible that this is a factory rifle made up of whatever was at hand for whatever reason.

Always an adventure with Trombones! :)
A mixmaster, I would think.The 69W number indicates that it was produced for Browning,to be sold in the US by Browning as a 1969 model.

#37 ·
A new (to me) Trombone arrived a few days ago looking in rough shape, what was described as surface rust but other wise complete.A low serial number, in the 20,000 range. The 'surface' rust was in fact mostly grime and the rear sight straightened up nicely. The bolt, pump rails and muzzle cleaned up very well. Even the brass mag tube shines. All in all a different rifle.

Pre cleaning;

Post cleaning