Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:22 PM
22Slinger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry H001 issue

Hey everyone,

I'm a recent reader and first-time poster. Love the site, and everyone seems to be an outstanding resource for new people like me.

My issue is with a relatively new Henry H001. After purchasing it, I took it to the range and had a great time finishing off a box of bulk Federal .22LR (maybe 150 rounds) without any issues. I then loaded some CCI Blazers, when the action started to jam. There was never a problem to extract the rounds - just chambering. It seems that the nose of the bullet would kind of "pop" up (for lack of a better term), and the bolt coming forward would jam the round above the chamber. It wouldn't happen on every round, but enough to be annoying. I have since tried a variety of other types of .22LR, all with the same result.

Experiments I've tried are:
- Cleaning the rifle and oiling the carrier (without disassembly) still results in occasional jamming. I had initially thought that shell lube/wax/coating was building up on the carrier.
- Closing the action quickly (as recommended) was a bit better, but would still jam. In a few instances, I closed the action "vigorously" enough to dent the casing when it did jam. Needless to say, those rounds went into the dud box at the range.
- Closing the action slowly would work if I could see when the round settled back down after the "pop"
- Closing the action at different angles didn't seem to make a difference, but I don't think I varied it often enough for this to be "statistically significant".

I had heard wonderful reviews about Henry's technical customer service, so I sent them an e-mail regarding my issue. They responded very quickly, saying that they will send me a pre-paid packing label to return the rifle. I laud them to take this step in these times! However, one issue is that I live in Massachusetts, so shipping a firearm is not the easiest thing to do. Therefore, I am wondering if any of you had any suggestions for me to look at or try. I am not completely adverse to returning the rifle (if I do, I'll have them install the swivel screws and a hammer extension!). However, I adverse to wasting Henry's time and money on something that may be a simple fix.

Thanks to all in advance, and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
Old 06-04-2012, 03:59 PM
kalifornia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Im not sure what parts are responsible but the blazers i shoot will nose up if I open the action to slow, I work the action at a normal speeds and its good.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:19 PM
nwellons
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree. When I was too gentle, I had a few failure to chambers. Snap the lever smartly and it may solve you problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2012, 07:58 PM
TH Indiana
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had the same problem with Winchester Xperts. The 555s and federal bulk shoots fine though.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Davy Crockett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Slinger View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm a recent reader and first-time poster. Love the site, and everyone seems to be an outstanding resource for new people like me.

My issue is with a relatively new Henry H001. After purchasing it, I took it to the range and had a great time finishing off a box of bulk Federal .22LR (maybe 150 rounds) without any issues. I then loaded some CCI Blazers, when the action started to jam. There was never a problem to extract the rounds - just chambering. It seems that the nose of the bullet would kind of "pop" up (for lack of a better term), and the bolt coming forward would jam the round above the chamber. It wouldn't happen on every round, but enough to be annoying. I have since tried a variety of other types of .22LR, all with the same result.

Experiments I've tried are:
- Cleaning the rifle and oiling the carrier (without disassembly) still results in occasional jamming. I had initially thought that shell lube/wax/coating was building up on the carrier.
- Closing the action quickly (as recommended) was a bit better, but would still jam. In a few instances, I closed the action "vigorously" enough to dent the casing when it did jam. Needless to say, those rounds went into the dud box at the range.
- Closing the action slowly would work if I could see when the round settled back down after the "pop"
- Closing the action at different angles didn't seem to make a difference, but I don't think I varied it often enough for this to be "statistically significant".

I had heard wonderful reviews about Henry's technical customer service, so I sent them an e-mail regarding my issue. They responded very quickly, saying that they will send me a pre-paid packing label to return the rifle. I laud them to take this step in these times! However, one issue is that I live in Massachusetts, so shipping a firearm is not the easiest thing to do. Therefore, I am wondering if any of you had any suggestions for me to look at or try. I am not completely adverse to returning the rifle (if I do, I'll have them install the swivel screws and a hammer extension!). However, I adverse to wasting Henry's time and money on something that may be a simple fix.

Thanks to all in advance, and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!
I has the exact same problem with my H001 , and some here suggested I didn't cycle it correctly. Well, I have owned a few lever actions continuously since about 1964, and have shot several different brands. This was the first one that I "didn't know how to cycle properly." Mine was worse on hollow point ammo, as the nose of the bullet would catch on the top of the chamber most every time.

I wound up sending mine back to Henry, and it is mostly fixed. It still is a little touchy with a large hollow point, but it is at least usable. If it ever catches when I try to close the lever, I can recock it and the nose of the cartridge will drop down to the right position to be fed into the chamber. It looks like Henry cut a small channel in the cartridge carrier to allow the heel of the cartridge to rise up more easily. Before, just the nose of the cartridge would pop up while the heel stayed down. Good luck. They will fix it.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:11 PM
Fotheringill

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My granddaughter has a Frontier and so do I. The first time we went to a range she had the same problem. She was in slo-mo with the lever. I told her to do it a tiny bit faster and then no problems after that. Nothing that will bruise the back of her hand but just a drop faster.

I don't understand your statement about closing the action at different angles. You shouldn't be able to do that. If the lever is loose enough to perform that way, it might very well be the problem. How much lateral play is in the lever? Does it wiggle from side to side at all?

Also, and I know this is almost impossible to ascertain, but there might be too much spring pressure behind the orange plunger or the pusher itself might be defective or seated improperly which theoretically might cause the pop up of the round when it feeds it into the chamber.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:35 PM
jcwit
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No trouble with mine, I just flip that lever like the Indians are circling the wagon train.

Come and take me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I purchased a used H001 that was doing that exact thing. I compared the feeding process to my GB, working the actions very slowly, and realized that the rim of the cartridge on the H001 was not slipping up under the extractor. On the GB the rim would slip under the extractor as the bolt moved forward and be in perfect alignment to feed into the chamber. On the H001 the rims would hang up as they contacted the extractor, causing the nose of the cartridge to tip up and hit the top of the chamber and jam.

I pulled the bolt and found that I could get a rim under the extractor if I forced it. Using a very small file, I removed small amounts of material from the rear face of the extractor, trying the cartridge every few strokes until it fit snugly.

Put it all back together and it works like a charm. I'm thinking it must have been a small bur that was causing the issue because I didn't have to do very much filing at all.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:30 AM
D Harry

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You should be able to ship UPS to Henry and then back right to your door.
We can in Kalifornia. Ask Henry about Mass. before shipping.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:54 AM
K7NRA
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
UPS shipping

Talk to Anthony... If he recommends returning it for repair, he will send a call tag and shipping will be covered both ways by Henry...
Old 06-05-2012, 09:09 AM
22Slinger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all of you for replying. Some follow-up:

- Action speed: I noticed that closing the action quickly helped, but sometimes it would still jam and the bolt would dent/crush the case. I don't think that's good for any gun.
- The plated (or "washed'?) Federal ammo did seem to be fine. Unfortunately, I don't have anymore, but I will shop around for some. Could be a good data point, if it goes back to working as flawlessly as it did.
- Hollow point, plated CCI ("Tactical") seemed to be the worst, but the standard unplated CCI Blazers and Standard Velocity do it as well. I can't recall if the Federal had a hollow point.
- "Different Angles": what I meant with this was the position of the rifle relative to the ground. Examples are muzzle pointed parallel with the ground, tipped up, tipped down, etc. Also, I tried rotated (so I could see inside the action) and normal. If the lever was loose at all, I'd be immediately shipping it back.
- Returning it to Henry: I'm not sure I trust the filing operation to myself, so if it comes to that, I will leave it in the hands of the professionals. I just didn't want to waste their time & money if it was a simple fix. I may still, but I wanted to know your collective expert opinions.

... In the mean time, I will try to find some more Federal ammo and report back. I think this is great info for anyone else who has the (rare) issue this rifle does. Also, I think it's valuable info I can pass onto Henry if I do send it back. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks again!
Old 06-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Alecbh

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Work the action quickly both opening and closing the lever, and don't short stroke it. That should solve any problems; if not, there's a defect somewhere, and letting Henry look at it can't hurt.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:25 AM
kalifornia

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azimuth View Post
I purchased a used H001 that was doing that exact thing. I compared the feeding process to my GB, working the actions very slowly, and realized that the rim of the cartridge on the H001 was not slipping up under the extractor. On the GB the rim would slip under the extractor as the bolt moved forward and be in perfect alignment to feed into the chamber. On the H001 the rims would hang up as they contacted the extractor, causing the nose of the cartridge to tip up and hit the top of the chamber and jam.

I pulled the bolt and found that I could get a rim under the extractor if I forced it. Using a very small file, I removed small amounts of material from the rear face of the extractor, trying the cartridge every few strokes until it fit snugly.

Put it all back together and it works like a charm. I'm thinking it must have been a small bur that was causing the issue because I didn't have to do very much filing at all.
note to self: remember this. thanks Azi
Old 06-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Motor7

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Slinger, if your not comfortable doing any work on it, send it back to Henry. You should not have to fart around hunting certain 'no jamming ammo"...it should feed and shoot just about any ammo out there without a hitch. Henry will take care of you and it probably won't cost you a dime.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Davy Crockett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22Slinger View Post
Thanks to all of you for replying. Some follow-up:

- Action speed: I noticed that closing the action quickly helped, but sometimes it would still jam and the bolt would dent/crush the case. I don't think that's good for any gun.
- The plated (or "washed'?) Federal ammo did seem to be fine. Unfortunately, I don't have anymore, but I will shop around for some. Could be a good data point, if it goes back to working as flawlessly as it did.
- Hollow point, plated CCI ("Tactical") seemed to be the worst, but the standard unplated CCI Blazers and Standard Velocity do it as well. I can't recall if the Federal had a hollow point.
- "Different Angles": what I meant with this was the position of the rifle relative to the ground. Examples are muzzle pointed parallel with the ground, tipped up, tipped down, etc. Also, I tried rotated (so I could see inside the action) and normal. If the lever was loose at all, I'd be immediately shipping it back.
- Returning it to Henry: I'm not sure I trust the filing operation to myself, so if it comes to that, I will leave it in the hands of the professionals. I just didn't want to waste their time & money if it was a simple fix. I may still, but I wanted to know your collective expert opinions.

... In the mean time, I will try to find some more Federal ammo and report back. I think this is great info for anyone else who has the (rare) issue this rifle does. Also, I think it's valuable info I can pass onto Henry if I do send it back. If anyone else has any ideas, please let me know.

Thanks again!
Your particular problem isn't an isolated incident. This has been discussed previously on this forum by other people. Henry knows how to fix it.