SA22 question? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 08-22-2017, 10:46 AM
buckweet's Avatar
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2006
Location: 
missouri
Posts: 
5,568
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)


Log in to see fewer ads
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIghstandardguy View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I can hear and feel a difference between them when the bolt closes. To me the Japanese models have an almost tinny sound and feel. The Belgium models have a smoother action as well.





Its just you....Hahahaha!!!

(Couldn't resist)...

Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-22-2017, 12:02 PM
kaynine's Avatar
kaynine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2003
Location: 
On Top of the Blue Ridge Mt.s
Posts: 
1,452
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Wink

I believe that there is no comparison to the slim, top loader, pre-world war II FN Belgium, Brownings Patent rifles. Anything after WWII is just a porked out, knock off with some graffiti on the receiver that doesn't make them shoot any better than the original IMHO:-)




Last edited by kaynine; 08-22-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Camster

Join Date: 
Sep 2003
Posts: 
14,415
TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Nothing wrong with a quality,older plain Jane model.(if you don't need any parts)
I kinda like the graffiti on the Is,IIs,and IIIs....and the chubby forearm.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-22-2017, 01:25 PM
kaynine's Avatar
kaynine
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jun 2003
Location: 
On Top of the Blue Ridge Mt.s
Posts: 
1,452
TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
To each his own;-)

Personally, I like the slim, very light weight "walking stick" profile. In my opinion, John Browning did an amazing design on this project to create such a compact mechanism.
The engraving is only an embellishment and doesn't contribute to the form, fit and function of the rifle. Call me a simple, basic kind of guy if you will.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 PM
scott36854

Join Date: 
Mar 2016
Posts: 
115
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
maple shorts

are the maple short rifles that cdnn is selling a low volume rifle? curious if it would be worth buying a few to put up?

is there any way to find out how many are being made?

Last edited by scott36854; 08-23-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-22-2017, 11:31 PM
M2HB's Avatar
M2HB
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Apr 2004
Location: 
Phoenix, Arizona
Posts: 
30,093
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I don't know how many they made, but as long as Miroku is making more SA-22s then there is a good chance that they will make more with Maple stocks which will keep the value from going up significantly.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-12-2017, 08:08 PM
lizardtrack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Aug 2005
Location: 
w NY.
Posts: 
1,682
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
Nothing wrong with a quality,older plain Jane model.(if you don't need any parts)
I kinda like the graffiti on the Is,IIs,and IIIs....and the chubby forearm.
Many parts from the Norinco fit the Browning and FN. I bought a Norinco barrel on ebay and fit it to my FN.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-25-2017, 07:21 AM
GladesGuy's Avatar
GladesGuy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Mar 2013
Location: 
So. Fla.
Posts: 
3,556
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Personally, I like every version of the SA-22, including the Norincos. Each has its charms and it is my favorite .22 ever. I just wish my eyes were better since I hate how they look with any scope on top!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:04 AM
Camster

Join Date: 
Sep 2003
Posts: 
14,415
TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GladesGuy View Post
Personally, I like every version of the SA-22, including the Norincos. Each has its charms and it is my favorite .22 ever. I just wish my eyes were better since I hate how they look with any scope on top!
Doubtful that I'll use mine again,but I descoped it after a recent trip where I had the op to plink on a friend's rural property. Better to have open sights,than a scope that hadn't been dialed in at a range.I wasted a lot of shots before it was even remotely on target.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-08-2017, 04:58 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2014
Location: 
Jackson, TN
Posts: 
1,464
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaynine View Post
I believe that there is no comparison to the slim, top loader, pre-world war II FN Belgium, Brownings Patent rifles. Anything after WWII is just a porked out, knock off with some graffiti on the receiver that doesn't make them shoot any better than the original IMHO:-)



I know this thread is just a bit stale, but Kaynine do you know if all of the FN toploaders had their stocks attached through the pistol grip, or just the early ones? I understand they were made into the 1960s.
Yours is a beautiful rifle by the way.
Thanks, Bill
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-08-2017, 05:07 PM
Camster

Join Date: 
Sep 2003
Posts: 
14,415
TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
I know this thread is just a bit stale, but Kaynine do you know if all of the FN toploaders had their stocks attached through the pistol grip, or just the early ones? I understand they were made into the 1960s.
Yours is a beautiful rifle by the way.
Thanks, Bill
Not an expert on toploaders, but I think that all had the stock attached through the grip.
Though all of my ATDs are the later "chubby" versions with varying degrees of "graffiti" including the full blown Grade III type, I like that slender one very much,just as it is-smooth non checkered wood and smooth receiver.
Curious if the missing front sling swivel was in the wood or the barrel attachment type.

Regarding my post #24, I put a scope back on mine.It suited the wear pattern of having one on it for decades,and was better for my big head to align with.Still probably a retired gun, but I like having my stuff just so. Last time, I had a Leupold 2-7rf special.This time, I went with a 4x,even though it was a few dollars more.Both are good looking on it,but I give the nod to the 4x for looking better on it.The 2-7x rf is better for a fun that goes to the range.

Last edited by Camster; 11-08-2017 at 05:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:00 PM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2014
Location: 
Jackson, TN
Posts: 
1,464
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Camster, I think you are right, particularly since the early Browning marked SA-22 ('56-60) had the same attachment.
Is it also true that the grooved receiver Brownings went through '64?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-09-2017, 04:01 AM
JRexA

Join Date: 
Jun 2002
Location: 
Nuuk, Greenland
Posts: 
225
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIghstandardguy View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I can hear and feel a difference between them when the bolt closes. To me the Japanese models have an almost tinny sound and feel. The Belgium models have a smoother action as well.
I have a FN One, likely from 1958, and a Japanese one, from 1982.
Both are side loaders and Beavertail frontend.

I can swap parts between them, including bolt, trigger group and barrels.

To me, They both have a similar feel and sound.
Both are well worn.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-09-2017, 05:08 AM
Camster

Join Date: 
Sep 2003
Posts: 
14,415
TPC Rating: 
99% (56)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalnutBill22 View Post
Thanks Camster, I think you are right, particularly since the early Browning marked SA-22 ('56-60) had the same attachment.
Is it also true that the grooved receiver Brownings went through '64?
Through 1965.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-09-2017, 07:31 AM
WalnutBill22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
May 2014
Location: 
Jackson, TN
Posts: 
1,464
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x