Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Trying to find used 7.5" stainless hunter single six for sale

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Vacman369 
#1 ·
Anyone know where I might find a used 7.5" stainless steel single-six Hunter model (ribbed barrel with scope ring mount attachments), with both cylinders?

I don't want to buy a new one. My last two Ruger revolver purchases, made over the last two years, were disappointing.

Not quite two years ago, I purchased a new GP100 in .44 special. Headspace was defective (cylinder wouldn't turn with new, unfired Starline brass, in the chambers). The throat of the barrel had no forcing cone, only a bevel (and I read a number of reports of cracked forcing cones in this model because of this). I was able to correct both defects, and this is now a favorite gun - but it took some hours of work on it before it was as it should have been when it shipped from Ruger. It now shoots well, and is a favorite revolver.

The second Ruger disappointment was also a GP100, but in 22 LR. This gun was so inaccurate, I called Ruger to complain, and they had me send it back to them. To their credit, they replaced the barrel and cylinder, and sent it back to me. It came back with a test target showing about a 3 inch group, shot at 15 yards 'on a rest'. Wish I'd never purchased this one. My S&W 617 shoots better than that at 50 yards.

So, I'm not in the market for any new Ruger products. But I know they have produced good quality revolvers in the past, and I hope to buy a used Hunter model single six. Anyone know how far back I need to go, in manufacturing year, to be fairly well assured of a quality gun?

Thanks for any help offered.

Bob H.

See less See more
#2 ·
I much prefer Ruger from the Bill Ruger era when he was running the show, but mostly for sentimental reasons. In my experience, there is no magic safe date for buying Ruger that guarantees a quality gun. I've had a fairly recent SS Hunter, made about 10 years, ago, during a time when Ruger QC was especially bad, but the gun was as good as any Single Six I've had. Have also had Rugers from the 70s and 80s that were a disappointment, but my track record on Ruger of that vintage is better than recent vintage Rugers.

Best advice I can give is never buy a Ruger sight unseen. Doing an a gun in hand inspection before you buy is still the best way to buy any Ruger, but you still won't know what you've got till you shoot it.

#3 ·
I have exactly what you are interested in but at present time I don't think I am interested in selling. It shoots mini mags under an inch at 30 yards off the bench. Used or new you can get a bad one. If mine were a poor shooter I would sell it in a heartbeat. So, so much for buying used. I personally have had great service from Ruger which is why I still buy from them. Is the quality the same as it was 50 years ago, nope, but then neither is Leupold's or most other companies.

#4 ·
Hi Bob,

I have the gun you are looking for and even have a Leupold scope to go with it if you are still looking. I don’t know how old it is exactly but it has a bead front sight vs the fiber optic I see on the newer versions if that helps age the gun. I’ve had it for 5 years probably and it was from an estate when I got it. I shot it a little back when I got it but not much since so I can’t say how good or bad it is other than it grouped well at 50 yards during those few sessions.
Let me know if you are interested and I can get you some pictures. In the meantime, I’ll try to figure out a value so we have somewhere to start.

Thanks.
John

#6 ·
Still looking for single-six hunter

Thanks for replying, Vacman369. I would be interested in your Hunter model, but don't know how to get ahold of you.

Could you email me at whiteh2obob@att.net? That isn't the correct email address for me, however - replace the characters 'bob' with the characters 'julie' (my wife's name - we share an email) to obtain the correct email address. And be sure to use the letter 'o', not the number 0, after the number 2. Sorry to make it so difficult, but I am trying not to let robot spammers get our email information. We get enough junk mail already!

Thanks,

Bob58

#7 ·
Hi Bob,

Sorry it’s been a couple of days but I just saw your post to me last night. I sent an email so as long as I ciphered your code correctly, your wife should have gotten that. I also sent you a private message through the board here. When you are logged in you will see a tab up near your name where you can send and read private messages. The board might alert you too but I’m not that familiar with rfc to know that for sure.

Please confirm I got the right email address (or whatever address you want to use) and I will get you some pictures.

Thanks.
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.