About That Loaded Chamber Indicator - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:44 PM
KenInDallas
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About That Loaded Chamber Indicator

I am waiting for a particular Stainless MK IV 22/45 model to be released, but I have a question about the Loaded Chamber Indicator that's been eliminated in the new model. I actually could have posted the question regarding a number of Ruger pistols. Has anybody ever had a problem with the Chamber Indicator feature? I have it on my Mk III Hunter and SR40. It doesn't bother me. I drop-mag-check-chamber all the time anyway just the way I was trained, but the extra confirmation when putting the gun away is, if anything, a 'plus.' As far as I'm concerned, the gun's always loaded -- again as I was trained.

Mechanically, the feature doesn't really exist. It doesn't have any go/no-go control over the gun. I do a deeper cleaning every 1500 rounds or so. I brush the chamber/ramp/mag/extractor/firing pin area at the end of each 1- to 200-round range session (weekly.) I used some very ugly ammo during the shortage.

I guess I'd just like to hear a response from anyone with a real issue about the feature. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:11 PM
Sidnal003
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I replaced the LCI on my 22/45 lite Mark III with a LCI filler from Tandemkross

Makes it a bit easier to clean

I'm unsure if gun is anymore reliable (feeding) as a result

Didn't have troubles before or after

I had heard that replacing the LCI makes feeding more reliable
Old 05-05-2017, 07:15 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, there was a report of an out of battery discharge where the plastic LCI was ejected toward an adjacent shooter. I think it would have been less objectionable in both safety and appearance if it was made in steel. its not a new concept, some fine quality old school pistols had this feature.

I think a less significant complaint is that it requires more cleaning. And given the dis-assembly more cleaning is a consideration.

Good riddance. Unsafe, unnecessary complication and ugly. I do have one and its not been a problem. And I say ugly, but my brush stainless Mk III with LCI looks a world better than the matt finish Mk IV in stainless .

Last edited by fourbore; 05-05-2017 at 07:19 AM.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:57 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
"I think it would have been less objectionable in both safety and appearance if it was made in steel" early guns had LCI made of steel and one tester found out the gun would discharge if you "flopped" it down on it's left side . As a result the ugly gray plastic thing was born. I have several MKIII's and one hunter had poor accuracy, stove pipes and other types of jams . I removed the LCI and put in one of Bruce's fillers and the function cleared up and accuracy improved some.
Other MKIII's I had did not have this problem.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
"I think it would have been less objectionable in both safety and appearance if it was made in steel" early guns had LCI made of steel and one tester found out the gun would discharge if you "flopped" it down on it's left side . As a result the ugly gray plastic thing was born. I have several MKIII's and one hunter had poor accuracy, stove pipes and other types of jams . I removed the LCI and put in one of Bruce's fillers and the function cleared up and accuracy improved some.
Other MKIII's I had did not have this problem.
Interesting, foot note. While an LCI may work in some pistols, those must not have been rim fires.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:47 AM
xdm9mm

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I really miss that LCI indicator on my MKIII !

I wish they put that feature on the MKIV !

NOT !

I replaced the LCI on my MKIII and one end sometimes comes out because it did not fit properly and has caught my finger a few times,,, ouch!
Old 05-06-2017, 03:53 PM
KenInDallas
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=JStacy;8728529]... I ...put in one of Bruce's fillers and the function cleared up and accuracy improved some.

I've looked over all the responses so far. Who's "Bruce?"
Old 05-06-2017, 05:16 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenInDallas View Post
Who's "Bruce?"
Bruce Patza.
Old 05-06-2017, 06:39 PM
GreggK

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
There in fact there were actually several reports of the gray, or black, plastic LCI fillers being blown to smithereens from a cartridge where the rim let go as the bolt slammed forward.
There was also a report concerning some damage to one of Bruce's "steel" LCI fillers after a case rim gave up during the firing sequence.
Yes, I had a M-22 double charge that bent one of Bruce's metal fillers out to the side. I'll bet money that the plastic LCI was seen as a liability issue by Ruger.

I was thinking more about the double charge that I had and was wondering why the LCI filler was bent out yet the thin magazine was fine. After looking at the bolt it was obvious, when the back of the shell blew, the magazine was protected by the bolt but that slot cut in the bolt for the LCI just directs all the blast back and out to the left side.

I am really fortunate to of had the metal filler in the gun when I got the bad round and didn't get plastic blown into my thumb. I have 2 more LCI fillers coming from Bruce for my other MKIII's that still have the plastic filler. Bruce's LCI fillers are a tighter fit than the Volquartsen LCI filler. Bruce's are .010" thicker and make a better seal as well as looking better.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking 3 years with my MKIII 22/45 lite

NEVER a problem with the LCI, and I liked the fact I could SEE that the chamber was loaded or not. lite went bye bye in a trade on my new MKIV stainless target.i kinda miss the LCI. oh well........
Old 05-06-2017, 08:45 PM
Air-cooled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The only thing I don't like about my LCI is that it is plastic, but then, so is the frame on the Lite. Gun does look better without it though, all hail the II and IV! Ha