Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:34 AM
dougbawks

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New shooter looking for advice

Hello all,

I am completely new to the world of handguns. My only experience with firearms is with my Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge I picked up used 10 or so years back which I shoot skeet for fun. It's a beautiful gun that I will someday pass down to my son.

A few weeks ago, a fellow co-worker (who loves his guns) asked if I wanted to go to the gun range with him. He told me about a local gun range, only 20 minutes from my house, which has rentals available. We have been to that range 4 different times in the last 3 weeks and I think I'm hooked He has two S&W M&P's in 9mm (one full size and one shield) that he has let me shoot at the range. While they're good for him, I'm not sure I want to jump right into a 9mm.

I have trimmed my options down best I can and would like input from you wonderful people who frequent these forums. I would like to get a 22lr semi auto pistol mainly because it's the most inexpensive ammo available and I'm trying to not break the bank (don't want to anger the wife!). My main use for this gun would be a target pistol to practice with at the range. I'm not much of a hunter, so hunting for small game isn't a necessity. I would like to get better with this pistol (trigger control and accuracy), so if I do decide to get a larger caliber pistol in the future, I have established good habits. A 22 seems to be a good starting point for my first handgun.

My experience at the range (rentals) is with the following.

S&W SW22 Victory
Ruger Mark IV Target Blued
S&W M&P 22 4"
Walther PPQ 22 4"

I purchased a box of 325 Federal Automatch Target ammo initially and when I ran out, I picked up 50 CCI and 50 Aguila HV rounds. I have shot approximately 100 rounds through each of these guns. The Victory and Mark IV shot exclusively Federal. The M&P and Walther were a mix of Fed and the HV stuff.

Initial reactions.

The Victory had a decent grip and a nice trigger. It seemed to shoot the Fed ammo without too many hickups, 1 or 2 stovepipes. Overall, I liked it and it seemed accurate for my newbie skills. Unfortunately, after about 50-60 rounds, I noticed the takedown screw on the underside of the barrel had loosened up significantly and the barrel was really sloppy. One of the employees fixed me up with an allen wrench and tightened it back up. Good gun, but that takedown screw soured my impressions of the gun quite a bit after I read of other owners having similar issues.

The Mark IV had an okay trigger and I wasn't majorly impressed with the checkered "plastic" grip panels. It ate all the Fed ammo I fed it without a problem and seems very reliable. It also shot quite accurately, which I have read is typical of the Mark series. I also liked how easy it was to disassemble for cleaning (compared to previous marks). While I shot the blued version, I really like the looks of the stainless model. Very nice shooter.

The M&P had another decent trigger and okay grip feel. It shot alright, but had multiple issues with both ammo types I fed it. I had a few stovepipes and feed issues, which I though might be the Fed ammo. I switched to the HV stuff and still experienced the same problems. Not as reliable as I would like, but a good shooter when things functioned properly.

The Walther had the best grip of all, fit like a glove. The trigger was also very nice, a bit better than the Victory. Unfortunately, it also experienced problems with the ammo. One stovepipe and multiple feed issues. I really wanted to like this gun because of the naturally good feeling grip, but it was so picky with the ammo. Possibly would be my favorite with the right ammo.

I have been thinking of my most important wants for my new 22.

1) Reliability - I would love to find a gun that will eat whatever I feed it. The choice of the 22 was mainly based on inexpensive ammo when compared to other calibers. I don't want to have to search high and low for my gun's "favorite" ammo. I'd rather just look for good deals and not worry that I bought the "wrong" brand that will give me issues.

2) Ergonomics - I want a gun that I will enjoy shooting week after week that fits my hand well and has good grips. I have average sized hands and am weary of some of the checkered grips most guns have.

3) Accuracy - I'd like my pistol to work with me and be consistent while I improve my skills. Being a range pistol, it should be an accurate shooter.

With all that said, I won't be rushing out to buy a pistol right away. I'd rather shoot as many different 22s as I can to aid my search. I really do like the Mark IV, but would probably have to spend extra money on new grips and a VQ trigger kit. The Walter has such good grips, but seemed ammo picky. The Victory takedown screw didn't inspire confidence. The M&P was okay, but also ammo picky.

HELP! There's so many pros and cons to each gun I've tried, it's a bit overwhelming. There doesn't seem to be a "perfect" gun for me (out my 4 rentals).

Any advice would be appreciated. Any guns that I should try out (if available for rent at the range)? I'm leaning towards the Mark IV stainless target, but would probably end up spending close to $700 to get it "right" for me.

TL-DR - What 22lr semi auto should I get for my first range gun?

Thanks,
Doug
Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
You should check out the Ruger SR22. I have one that shoots any ammo I feed it. I've never had any type of problem with it. As far as ergonomics it has interchangeable grips for different size hands/feel and a sa/da trigger. Also has an adjustable rear sight. You can pick one up fairly cheap and they hold their value very well. Worth taking a look at as it is a great trainer and fun plinker.
Old 02-05-2017, 12:58 PM
robs9
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If this is your first pistol. Then you are asking a Whole lot for a first gun. The really only way to find out what's the best for you is to go to the range and shoot a few guns a lot. You did say you did that once. Do it a bunch of times to really find what you like. Even then the one you do eventually buy, you well most likely want to change something. In my opinion the new Ruger Mark 4 is an excellent starting point. You well never regret buying one of them.
As you shoot more and learn more you well find your wants and needs change. So you end up with quite a stable(Safe) full of cool firearms. 😎

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2017, 02:41 PM
buckmark13

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd also suggest trying a Browning Buckmark.....I may be biased though!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:37 PM
Dakota Dan
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Reliability has been the most important factor for me. I must say the three Ruger 22 pistols I currently own all work very well and seem to shoot any ammo. Maybe just lucky. I also find it frustrating that some guns like particular ammo. I understand that there are peculiarities with 22 ammo but if a gun will not work consistently due to ammo preferences or some other reason, it takes the fun out of shooting. I have sold guns for that reason.

That being said, I agree with your plan to shoot as many as possible. Then go with what you feel is best for you. You can always sell, trade etc. for something else.
Old 02-05-2017, 03:43 PM
kastner03

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbawks View Post
Hello all,

I am completely new to the world of handguns. My only experience with firearms is with my Remington 870 Wingmaster 12 gauge I picked up used 10 or so years back which I shoot skeet for fun. It's a beautiful gun that I will someday pass down to my son.

A few weeks ago, a fellow co-worker (who loves his guns) asked if I wanted to go to the gun range with him. He told me about a local gun range, only 20 minutes from my house, which has rentals available. We have been to that range 4 different times in the last 3 weeks and I think I'm hooked He has two S&W M&P's in 9mm (one full size and one shield) that he has let me shoot at the range. While they're good for him, I'm not sure I want to jump right into a 9mm.

I have trimmed my options down best I can and would like input from you wonderful people who frequent these forums. I would like to get a 22lr semi auto pistol mainly because it's the most inexpensive ammo available and I'm trying to not break the bank (don't want to anger the wife!). My main use for this gun would be a target pistol to practice with at the range. I'm not much of a hunter, so hunting for small game isn't a necessity. I would like to get better with this pistol (trigger control and accuracy), so if I do decide to get a larger caliber pistol in the future, I have established good habits. A 22 seems to be a good starting point for my first handgun.

S&W SW22 Victory
S&W M&P 22 4"
Walther PPQ 22 4"

I purchased a box of 325 Federal Automatch Target ammo initially and when I ran out, I picked up 50 CCI and 50 Aguila HV rounds. I have shot approximately 100 rounds through each of these guns. The Victory and Mark IV shot exclusively Federal. The M&P and Walther were a mix of Fed and the HV stuff.

Initial reactions.

The Victory had a decent grip and a nice trigger. It seemed to shoot the Fed ammo without too many hickups, 1 or 2 stovepipes. Overall, I liked it and it seemed accurate for my newbie skills. Unfortunately, after about 50-60 rounds, I noticed the takedown screw on the underside of the barrel had loosened up significantly and the barrel was really sloppy. One of the employees fixed me up with an allen wrench and tightened it back up. Good gun, but that takedown screw soured my impressions of the gun quite a bit after I read of other owners having similar issues.

The Mark IV had an okay trigger and I wasn't majorly impressed with the checkered "plastic" grip panels. It ate all the Fed ammo I fed it without a problem and seems very reliable. It also shot quite accurately, which I have read is typical of the Mark series. I also liked how easy it was to disassemble for cleaning (compared to previous marks). While I shot the blued version, I really like the looks of the stainless model. Very nice shooter.

The M&P had another decent trigger and okay grip feel. It shot alright, but had multiple issues with both ammo types I fed it. I had a few stovepipes and feed issues, which I though might be the Fed ammo. I switched to the HV stuff and still experienced the same problems. Not as reliable as I would like, but a good shooter when things functioned properly.

The Walther had the best grip of all, fit like a glove. The trigger was also very nice, a bit better than the Victory. Unfortunately, it also experienced problems with the ammo. One stovepipe and multiple feed issues. I really wanted to like this gun because of the naturally good feeling grip, but it was so picky with the ammo. Possibly would be my favorite with the right ammo.

1) Reliability - I would love to find a gun that will eat whatever I feed it. The choice of the 22 was mainly based on inexpensive ammo when compared to other calibers. I don't want to have to search high and low for my gun's "favorite" ammo. I'd rather just look for good deals and not worry that I bought the "wrong" brand that will give me issues.

2) Ergonomics - I want a gun that I will enjoy shooting week after week that fits my hand well and has good grips. I have average sized hands and am weary of some of the checkered grips most guns have.

3) Accuracy - I'd like my pistol to work with me and be consistent while I improve my skills. Being a range pistol, it should be an accurate shooter.

With all that said, I won't be rushing out to buy a pistol right away. I'd rather shoot as many different 22s as I can to aid my search. I really do like the Mark IV, but would probably have to spend extra money on new grips and a VQ trigger kit. The Walter has such good grips, but seemed ammo picky. The Victory takedown screw didn't inspire confidence. The M&P was okay, but also ammo picky.

HELP! There's so many pros and cons to each gun I've tried, it's a bit overwhelming. There doesn't seem to be a "perfect" gun for me (out my 4 rentals).

Any advice would be appreciated. Any guns that I should try out (if available for rent at the range)? I'm leaning towards the Mark IV stainless target, but would probably end up spending close to $700 to get it "right" for me.

Thanks,
Doug

i would recommend the mark iv it's a gun that will last the rest of you're life and do everything you want it to. houge will be releasing wrap around rubber grips like the ones available for the mark 3 and they are super comfortable you could probably find a great deal on the mark 3 right now and they are a great gun also just not as easy to take apart

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-05-2017, 03:59 PM
M60A1Rise
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try a Browning Buckmark. I just got back into guns and bought one because it felt good in my hand and had reliable posts about it. Not saying those don't but I shot a couple of those first as well and didn't like them at all , shot the Buckmark after a bunch of reading and made the buy the next day.

ETA: So far i've got 300 rounds through it only one failure to extract(Federal 510?) blue box round nose lead and didn't have to adjust the sights AT ALL.

Last edited by M60A1Rise; 02-05-2017 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbawks View Post
Hello all,

[B]I am completely new to the world of handguns.

S&W SW22 Victory
S&W M&P 22 4"
Walther PPQ 22 4"

Initial reactions.

Thanks,
Doug
Doug, First off....... to RFC and the Ruger Mark IV forum. Because this is the Ruger Mark IV forum, I feel fate has led you here to get some GOOD information concerning the Ruger Mark IV, and previous versions of these fine pistols.

Ergonomics can be rectified with better grip panels. There are a myriad of aftermarket parts for these Ruger Mark guns that will help you make your chosen Ruger Mark pistol into everything you would care to have it be.
After almost 70 years of continual production with improvements being made through 4 model upgrades, these pistols have a proven track record of ruggedness.

Am I a Ruger fan? After working with and on these pistols since 1970, that's an emphatic YES. With a little bit of tuning and smoothing, these pistols will make their owners accumulate more than just one. Along with some very basic care and maintenance, these pistols will last through several generations of enjoyment.

I have shot just about every make and model of .22 rimfire pistol that's crossed my workbench for cleaning or any other issue involved. Do any of those pistols surpass the durability and longevity of production that the Ruger Mark handguns have? I haven't seen any that have yet, and that includes the Smith & Wesson Model 41. Will the Ruger Mark pistols imbibe all of the .22 rimfire ammunition currently produced? YES!, within reason. Hyper velocity .22 rimfire, like the CCI Stingers, or any other hyper velocity .22 rimfire, should best be relegated to modern .22 rimfire rifles, and not these Ruger pistols.

Advice is cheap and opinions are only worth the experience they bring along with 'em. Good luck with your search, and I hope you can try out as many .22 rimfire pistols as are available to you.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:56 PM
NeauxGo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome Doug. I don't comment much here as there are so many knowledgeable veterans, but I will say that Rugers are forever pistols. I inherited my dad's MKII Govt. and consider it an amazing gift.

I just recently bought the stainless MKIV for regular range use and ease of cleaning. I did consider other pistols, but ultimately decided on a .22 that was designed to be an excellent .22 (like the Victory and the Buckmarks). I also have a PPQ M1 9mm, so I know what you mean about grip comfort. I considered the .22 version, but it would have been a concession in performance and upgradeability over time.

Best of luck with your decision and happy shooting!
Old 02-05-2017, 09:01 PM
rapidray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome, and you are on the right path! Renting out the guns before you buy will save you a lot of money in the long run. Shooting your friends guns is the next best path also. The more you can try out the better you will be on making your purchase.
Old 02-05-2017, 09:02 PM
Cplfly
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have told many people, get a .22 first, see if shooting is your thing,cheap to buy[relativity] cheap to shoot ie practice. So many people get a 9mm or .45 for the first gun,they shoot a couple of times and it sits, $ for ammo [50rds of 9 or 45 vs 300+rds of .22] .....You are doing right,shoot more guns and see what you like and go from there. I have 4 .22 pistols[ MK2,MK3, H/S SportKing,Walther P-22]..........You can't go wrong with a MK pistol, proven design,strong,reliable,accurate. Get the Volquartson trigger set up [which i have in both of mine] and your good to go, grips of your choice...... I like them so much I want to get a MK1 and a MK4 to go with my 2 and 3. Do like your doing and see what suits you,what you like and go for it.......
Old 02-05-2017, 09:05 PM
susiqz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
doug, you should look at mark 3s as they will be a better buy right now.

some of your desires are a bit inconsistant.
you can certainly find a pistol that will shoot anything, but you also want accuracy.
there is no such thing as a gun that will be equally accurate with all types of ammo.

once your skills improve you will have to test ammo to find which is best for your gun.
lots of people shoot bulk ammo, but they are not interested in precision work.
if you want to hit what you aim at, at reasonable distances, you will have to
spend time n money trying to find the best ammo for your gun.
no getting around it.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:48 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Of the guns you listed I would choose the Ruger hands down. The Victory is easy to take apart and sometimes does it for you--- disassembly screw loosening up is a known problem. The Walther is a definite "no" because they generally do not function well, at least the couple I have shot. I really do not have any experience with the M&P 22 but I doubt they are better in any way than the MK IV and I concur on you choice of a SS gun . If you find a MK III new you might find one at a discount. Trying before you buy is a wise move. Asking here is another good move but I will admit we are a bit opinioned and like Ruger MK series.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:37 AM
wproct

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, it is a Ruger MKIV forum but here goes. I'm a loyal Ruger MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV fan and have owned MKI and MKII pistols since around 1965. These pistols are rugged, accurate, and dependable, and they have been in production for so long that aftermaket parts and accessories are abundant and you can easily personalize your pistol. These pistols are also known for shooting a wide variety of .22 lr ammo reliably.

Having said that, the Browning Buckmark series pistols are great handguns that have been in production for many years and have a loyal following. The new Smith & Wesson Victory is a lot of handgun for the money. I think it comes out of the box with a better trigger than the Ruger and the loose screw problem mentioned can easily be addressed.

Shoot different pistols as much as possible and make the determination which one works for you.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:48 AM
azshot
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It sounds like you like the feel and reliability of the Ruger. Don't over think this, any gun you buy you'll get used to and learn to love if you shoot it much. Just like a car.

The two things about the Ruger you don't like, the plastic grips, and the trigger pull, are easily fixed. I bought a pair of Pachmyr grips for my MKII about 30 years ago, and love the grippy, soft feel of them. The triggers are also upgradeable, though you might just get used to it over time. I did, and shoot my MKII very well. Don't sweating the cleaning either, just keep the outside wiped down with a slightly oiled cloth. A Ruger doesn't need internal cleaning often. I do it about every 5 years....never a malfunction.