Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-05-2017, 12:42 PM
openspaces
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
sharp edges

So very long story short I went to the local range today and picked up a target Mark IV.

Within 15 seconds the gun had cut a finger. I have no idea how this happened but as I handled it more there seems to be a few edges that should have been eased. The bolt ears were especially sharp as well as the rear of the receiver.

Other minor issue was the ambi safety would not easily disengage due to it hitting the opposite side of my hand. (I assume removal of the "ear" is an option in lieu of creating a single safety lever option)

Disassembly was obviously fantastic but based on the sharp edges I'm not as excited to buy one as I was before picking this one up.

Has anyone else noticed the sharp edges or was it perhaps just this particular example? For reference the price as $450
Old 02-05-2017, 03:48 PM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I haven't received any cuts and didn't notice any really sharp edges on mine. What I don't care for is the grips. The diamonds are too sharp for my delicate hands. I didn't intend to keep the factory grips when I bought it. I have some very nice walnut slabs coming so I can make some grips that fit my hand and look good to boot.

Your price is nine dollars better than mine.
Old 02-05-2017, 07:15 PM
22/45 Fan

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by openspaces View Post
So very long story short I went to the local range today and picked up a target Mark IV.

Within 15 seconds the gun had cut a finger. I have no idea how this happened but as I handled it more there seems to be a few edges that should have been eased. The bolt ears were especially sharp as well as the rear of the receiver.

Other minor issue was the ambi safety would not easily disengage due to it hitting the opposite side of my hand. (I assume removal of the "ear" is an option in lieu of creating a single safety lever option)

Disassembly was obviously fantastic but based on the sharp edges I'm not as excited to buy one as I was before picking this one up.

Has anyone else noticed the sharp edges or was it perhaps just this particular example? For reference the price as $450
My MkIV doesn't have any sharp edges that I've noticed. Certainly I've never been cut by it.

As to the ambi safety, Ruger has instruction in the owner's manual show you how to remove the right side lever and replace it with a provided washer and the bolt.

Old 02-05-2017, 10:28 PM
openspaces

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Good to hear the safety can be setup for one side only.

Also good to hear that the edges may be just the one picked up.

For reference I pulled out my mkii competition target & government. Neither had the same edges.

I'll wait for a lite version to show up locally and try again.
Old 02-05-2017, 11:04 PM
frozen
Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the 22/45 lite , no sharp edges 👍
Old 02-05-2017, 11:58 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
I have the 22/45 lite , no sharp edges ��
Same here !
Old 02-06-2017, 05:18 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Closest thing to a "sharp edge" on my new Hunter are the edges of the barrel flutes but after running my fingers over them several times no cuts, next one might but not this one.

Old 02-06-2017, 12:00 PM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Sharp edges on a Ruger "anything" is common. That's why I buy the stainless version if its available blued also. Easing the edges on a stainless gun doesn't show. I have had to break the edges of the hammer spur on all my GP100s, and the edges of the trigger guard on my SP101s. Ruger doesn't do as much finish work as S$W does, and I always felt that's why the Ruger products have a lower MSRP.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:17 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up new MKIV stainless target

I have handled it a LOT and ran over 300 rds through it at the indoor range, have NOT noticed ANY sharp or rough edges. sounds like the one you handled may be a fluke. a fine file on the stainless would correct a problem and not show.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:25 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No cuts from mine, yet. (Stainless Target model)

Old 02-06-2017, 12:33 PM
goldenpony

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a blue target model. Haven't noticed any sharp edges on mine.
Old 02-06-2017, 12:35 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Angry Mine Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by openspaces View Post
When I picked up my 2013 NIB MKIII and pulled the bolt back to verify the chamber was empty, the ears sliced my thumb and index finger wide open. The MKIV you handled is the only other one I've heard has had this problem.

Mine was part of the "million gun march". I've read that Ruger is now into a "2 million gun march". It seems their QC disappears when they run production full tilt.

I spent 3 full days removing burrs and sharp edges before I could take it to the range for initial functional testing and break-in. I finally touched up all the blueing about a year ago. Looks and runs great now!
Old 02-06-2017, 12:40 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
When I picked up my 2013 NIB MKIII and pulled the bolt back to verify the chamber was empty, the ears sliced my thumb and index finger wide open. The MKIV you handled is the only other one I've heard has had this problem.

Mine was part of the "million gun march". I've read that Ruger is now into a "2 million gun march". It seems their QC disappears when they run production full tilt.

I spent 3 full days removing burrs and sharp edges before I could take it to the range for initial functional testing and break-in. I finally touched up all the blueing about a year ago. Looks and runs great now!
My only damage from a Mk-anything is when I forget and "ride" the bolt home.. Then I always cut my finger where it gets pinched.

But that's self-inflicted, so it doesn't count.

Old 02-06-2017, 01:01 PM
rapidray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
First time in over 54 years of shooting I also rode the bolt and was pinched for it! Wasn't expecting it to go forward so soon and ouch! But I have forgiven as it just shoots so good!
Old 02-06-2017, 01:03 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidray View Post
First time in over 54 years of shooting I also rode the bolt and was pinched for it! Wasn't expecting it to go forward so soon and ouch! But I have forgiven as it just shoots so good!
Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone...