Proposal For New Match/Format - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-09-2006, 11:31 AM
Marty Conry
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Highlander-Our range does have those distances but on different shooting disciplines. To get down to 10 meters one would have to go to the Air Gun facility and only those type guns are permitted. Same rule for handgun, rimfire centerfire etc.

Today I did learn we can shoot 3 distances at rimfire: 50 ft 25 and 50 yards.
I will check further on rules for moveable targets.
Assuming I could work something out on range lanes, my sights are rear peep and front globe, would that qualify? Not sure as to iron sight definitions.

Thanks, Marty

ps...fell in love with your 54 that Armabill now has and it made me go find one very much like it.

Last edited by Marty Conry; 06-09-2006 at 11:33 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 11:57 AM
the highlander

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Marty,

50 feet would be just about right for 15 meters (49.2 feet). Part of the reason for the test is to see what folks have available. I'd say try and see how you do. If 50 feet won't work, then you can talk to the range officials and see if they'll set aside a special day when you can use a shorter range or moveable backers.

Rear peep and front globe is exactly what we have in mind. The peep can be whatever your budget or tastes run to. Also, if you don't like your globe inserts, there is a gunsmith in MO that sells really nice laser-cut insert sets for several different sizes of globes. His name is Lee Shaver and his web site is www.egunsmith.com. He strated making these for the Black Powder Silhouette crowd and now people are buying them for all types of disciplines. Glad you like the old Annie, I had a lot of fun with her before I passed her on to claybuster and you know the rest.

Bill
Old 06-09-2006, 12:19 PM
Joe Haller
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Joe Haller
Wink Yea: Charlotte, come on . . .

Rule #6 taken from our E-Mail Match Rules . . .

6. Shoot over sandbags, shot bags, rice bags or any old bag. Use a tripod, bipod, a block of wood or a rock for your front rest. A bunny ear or rabbit ear sandbag is recommended for buttstock support. Shoot from a bench. Shoot prone with a sling or over sandbags. Shoot over a log or the hood of your truck if you want.

One of my old shooting buddies UP here at our club use to shoot with us in our Smallbore Prone and 3 Position Matches. When I invited him to shoot in our rimfire benchrest matches he said he would shoot with us if he could shoot from the prone position. A day later I wrote rule #6.

Ron has been shooting with us, but he never took me up the offer of shooting prone in the E-Mail Matches. I THINK the reason may be that he can't fit into his black leather 10-X shooting coat any more. I sold my leather coat not long after I discovered that shooting from the bench was much less painful than shooting prone. In fact my arm and hand NEVER go to sleep anymore, cuz I don't use a sling anymore.

Paul Verhey is guilty of helping me organize the E-Mail Matches. I never shot over the hood of a truck but Paul has . . . Here is a picture of his International Benchrest.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 06-09-2006, 01:09 PM
the highlander

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Now That Brings Back Memories!

Haven't done that since the world became PC. Back in my younger days, my Father-in-Law and I used to pull his pickup off the road at an old creek under a wooden railroad bridge out in the country. Used to float 20 Ga hulls in the creek and shoot them with 22's to see who was cookin' dinner or buying the beer that night. And yes we did fish the hulls out when we were done. I let him win just enough to be a great Father-in-Law

He's gone now, but I'll never forget those informal matches. Also where we taught my son to shoot his first 22.

Darnit Joe, now you went and made me hijack my own thread! Thanks for the memories

Bill
Old 06-09-2006, 01:17 PM
the highlander

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Cool Ride!!!

Paul,

That ride also brings back memories. We lived in Germany in the early 60's (Army Brat and %%%% proud of it!) and went to the plant and picked up a new gray one in 1960. When my Dad wore it out we dropped a new engine in and gave it to my aunt to learn to drive on, and when she wore it out, I got it. Went on to own 2 Super Beetles too.

I swear, between you and Joe, you're making my nostalgia take me away from my own thread

BTW, if the sign refers to you and the Mrs., my wife and I just hit 36 together, we're becoming a rare breed my friend! Congratulations!!!

Bill
Old 06-09-2006, 02:02 PM
Paul Verhey
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via AIM to Paul Verhey
Yes, the sign refers to my wife and I, today is our 50th

Paul

Hey Joe:
How long you gonna keep the International Rest picture? Tomorrow the International will be in another car show. I have removed the rifle though!
Paul
Old 06-09-2006, 02:17 PM
Joe Haller

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back to the Future . . .

The Future Iron sight match that is . . .

I put the irons back on my Anschutz 1813 last year, and I have the original set of irons for one of my Suhls. Our club members will do some testing for you next week. 50 feet and 10 meters (33 feet). We have movable target frames and a 40 foot hill for a backstop.
Old 06-09-2006, 02:34 PM
the highlander

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Joe, Let Me Help You Quick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Haller
The Future Iron sight match that is . . .

and I have the original set of irons for one of my Suhls. Our club members will do some testing for you next week. 50 feet and 10 meters (33 feet). We have movable target frames and a 40 foot hill for a backstop.
Joe,

Didn't you hear about the constitutional amendment limiting Suhl ownership to 1 shooter - 1 gun? Please let me help you out quickly and take your spare(s) off your hands before the Men in Black find out!

Seriously, thanks for volunteering your club to test. Since you guys are used to the regular matches, you'll be in a good position to make a comparison of degree of difficulty.

Bill
Old 06-09-2006, 11:18 PM
ducdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hello:

Would a Unertl tube sight With a Merit disk be allowed ( redfield International front)
in the iron sight match?

Dave
Old 06-09-2006, 11:23 PM
the highlander

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
???

I don't see why not as long as it's non-optical;ie: no magnification. Joe what do you think? I'm not as familiar with this particular sight setup.

Bill
Old 06-09-2006, 11:45 PM
the highlander

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Marty??

Marty,

Not sure what happened to your post, I got an e-mail alert that you had posted. We're using the standard "Green Monster" USBR targets once the matches start. If you don't have any already, use these practice targets from Eric Brooks and shoot 3 sheets plus one target to get to 25.

http://ebrooks77.50megs.com/targets.html#USBR

If you don't have the official targets already, and you decide you want to play, there is a Forum thread to order the targets right near the top of the Shooting Related header where the On-Line match Forum is.

Bill
Old 06-10-2006, 09:59 PM
Joe Haller

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tube sights . . .

The tube sights are legal in NRA iron sight matches. I never used the Unertl tube sight, but did have a Redfield tube sight several years ago. Those sights were suppose to help screen out stray light in outdoor bright light conditions. I never noticed any advantage to the one I had. In fact with the restricted field of view, you were more likely to cross fire on the next guys target.

Joe
Old 06-11-2006, 06:46 AM
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Paul: A belated congratulations on 50 years. I had a VW exactly like the one in the photo when I first started dating the lady who became my wife 34 years ago come August. Two of the best mistakes I ever made were marrying the lady and being rid of that car. You can feel less nastalgic about VWs if you ever had to depend on one in a UP winter. On the other hand your girl friend will sit real close if for no other reason than to get some body heat. She might also date guys that own anything else that has a heater in it unless of course she really likes you. Best Wishes.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:04 AM
Ziplok

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool OK. OK, I finally read Highlander's PM!

The Only iron sight setup I have at present is my 1900 Greener Martini Rook Rifle with a rear tang sight/adjustable iris and a hooded front sight - Might be fun if I can get a 10 meter setup past the rangemasters

OBTW: My latest USBR insanity involved a Green Monster target and an 1855 Springfield Pistol-Carbine shooting .58cal 500gr Mine' balls *heh* at 20yds you don't need a spotting scope altho a scoring plug might be a tad hard to come by!
Old 06-11-2006, 11:34 PM
the highlander

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Long Time No See Zip!

I knew if we waited long enough you'd get around to seeing my message or one of the posts. This should be right up your alley with your Martini's and you might even see if Mac Tilton still has a set of sights for your Finnish Lion. Great to hear from you bud!

Bill