Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-28-2019, 07:07 AM
PilotGary
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnetou View Post
Over this weekend, I was cleaning out my Dad's home and came across not one but two 4 oz. bottles of Hoppes #9 that I had purchased in 1972.

My question: Would they still be potent enough to be effective to clean bores?
I have a bottle that is 48-years old that was in my first cleaning kit. Yes I was 14-years old when I got it. I am still using the same cleaning kit with Hoppes #9. Mine still works well. There is only 10% still left in the bottle as I am still using it. I expect that it will be empty before the end of next year.
Old 06-28-2019, 02:21 PM
Winnetou

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Hoppes #9 results

As an experiment, I ran a patch of the old Hoppes through the bore of a rifle I had cleaned a couple of weeks before with the current version of #9.

The old stuff didn't smell as robust as I had remembered. The fluid was a reddish brown.

However, the patch came out of the bore with seven very small black flakes. The dry patches I ran did not reveal anything more.

What's interesting is the label on the bottle I used warns that it contains ammonia, denatured ethanol and kerosene. But the label on the second bottle, which I did not use, lists all of the above contents plus nitrobenzene.

I plan to use the nitrobenze bottle next.

I also want to correct some bad information from my original post: I had purchased the bottle from a Longs drug store.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnetou View Post
As an experiment,

< Snip experimentation >

I also want to correct some bad information from my original post: I had purchased the bottle from a Longs drug store.
Oh, I wish you had said that earlier - that makes ALL the difference!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2019, 04:12 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
History...

About Hoppe's

The Guncare People Since 1903

In 1903, Frank August Hoppe mixed nine chemicals and created the world’s most effective gun cleaner. As a well-trained young soldier, Frank knew that gun care went far beyond just a clean rifle, but actually helped to ensure his safety while on the front lines of battle. Since that time, Hoppe’s has emerged as the leading gun care company, having grown along-side hunters, shooters, and soldiers who depend on their firearms every day. It has remained the most trusted name in gun care by advancing and evolving technologies to meet those needs. From the ever-popular and versatile No. 9 and the quick and easy BoreSnake, to the marvel of efficiency we call Gun Medic, Hoppe’s is the only name you need to know for firearm cleaning and protection.

I was given this bottle a few years back... still in the box with a enclosure that tells all about it.. funny thing is there is NO MENTION of ingredients.. none.
There is a Copyright stamp and date of 1937. Also, on the bottle it states "Not genuine without this signature" his signature- Frank A. Hoppe is below that.

Last edited by Chaser; 07-11-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-29-2019, 01:52 PM
BadgerJack
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Use it!
My God, Man, you are not going to drink it, are you?!
Hoppes is better then 99% of al them fancy-%%% things that were introduced over the past 10~15 years!
Tthe only thing better is Sweets 7.62, but you do NOT want to use that inside the house!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:14 AM
noelekal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I've used Hoppe's No. 9 since the early 1970s myself with perfect satisfaction.

Of course I'm growing this prehensile tail ...
Old 07-11-2019, 11:47 AM
doubs43
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I began using Hoppe's #9 in the mid-1950's. It's been good for everything I've had to deal with including corrosive priming residue.

There's half of a pint bottle on my bench now and a full bottle waiting.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:20 PM
farrlarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My oldest bottle of Hoppe's #9 is about 53 years old and it still seems to work well.

"A man has to know his limitations."
Old 07-20-2019, 04:49 PM
Steve E
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
TTS22

You think that was bad, all this talk about benzene in my old Hoppes scared me so bad I didn't know whether to sh#t or go blind so I just closed one eye and farted.

Steve.........
Old 07-20-2019, 04:59 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E View Post
TTS22

You think that was bad, all this talk about benzene in my old Hoppes scared me so bad I didn't know whether to sh#t or go blind so I just closed one eye and farted.

Steve.........
You reminded me of this.
https://youtu.be/uPplyQWf-u4