50 yard scope - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:53 PM
MelearR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50 yard scope

Ok, I知 62 years old and have shot for 50+ of those. Most of my shooting has been bird hunting with a shotgun, deer hunting with a rifle (3x9 scope) and tens of thousands of rounds with a handgun. I知 looking for a rimfire scope to shoot off a bench at 50 yards. I see some up to 48 power and it just seems extreme. Would a 24 power Weaver with a one eighth dot be sufficient. Any suggestions are appreciated
Old 05-23-2019, 05:57 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (78)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelearR View Post
Ok, I知 62 years old and have shot for 50+ of those. Most of my shooting has been bird hunting with a shotgun, deer hunting with a rifle (3x9 scope) and tens of thousands of rounds with a handgun. I知 looking for a rimfire scope to shoot off a bench at 50 yards. I see some up to 48 power and it just seems extreme. Would a 24 power Weaver with a one eighth dot be sufficient. Any suggestions are appreciated
Sufficient yes, but if you are only benchrest shooting, 24 is kind of on the low end, most use 36 and up.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 PM
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If you're not competing that should be plenty of magnification for 50 yard shooting. I shoot scopes from 6X, 2.5 -10, 4-16, 6.5-20, 6-24 power and to be honest it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference in my group sizes all that much. But I don't compete, except against myself...

Now I have to admit I enjoy using the higher power scopes just because it is fun to see the holes getting punched in the paper and checking your groups from the bench without having to shift over to a spotter every shot. And my scopes with the 1/8 dot are my favorite- the 4-16 Weaver and the 6.5-20 Leupold...

Oh, and I'm 66 and my eyes aren't what they used to be but a good scope of any size, properly focused and mounted still makes it easy...

Bob

Old 05-23-2019, 08:56 PM
SDBigDog1955

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
I use the 24 weaver on my 452 LUX for 50, now I would like a T36, eyes are getting old
Old 05-23-2019, 09:18 PM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm 71 and and shoot 50 yard club matches. I mainly use two different scopes.... Unertls in 15X and 20X.....and I win my share of matches. I shot sporter class in USBR one year using a 3x9 Leupold EFR...and again, I won my share of matches. It all depends on your eyesight and how you shoot. By that I mean that most folks aim for the center dot of the target. But with practice, you can shoot very well by aiming as one would aim with peep sights. I've got a bunch of fifty yard five shot groups that measure in the .1's, .2's, and .3's ..... shot with peep sights.

Some folks need more magnification, and some say you can't have too much. A matter of preference to a certain degree. I'm probably in the minority with these comments. So, my suggestion is to shoot what you feel comfortable with.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:43 AM
Moedum1

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
When I started shooting in our club’s 50 yard USBR target matches, I used a Leupold 6-18 x 40 scope and did OK. Midway through the year I bought a used 24X Leupold and my scores improved. To start the next year I invested in a Weaver T-36X and was disappointed. Although I’d heard about “seeing your heartbeat/pulse” in a scope, I’d never experienced it. They say with practice controlling your breathing/shooting between heartbeats it will get better. I shoot for fun, using sporter rifles and average ammo. After a month, I went back to using the 24X scope.

I now use a Weaver T-24 on one rifle and a Leupold VX3 6.5-20 EFR on another for the matches. Both work fine at 50 yards and I can easily see where the bullets are hitting.
Old 05-24-2019, 05:57 AM
Samuel_Hoggson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Am with Bob on this. Unless shooting BR competition - with a BR-dedicated rifle - you can punch good groups with magnifications well under 24x. Also agree a scope that allows you to properly adjust both focus and parallax is paramount. You can't otherwise take advantage of higher magnifications.

As you increase magnification exit pupil becomes increasingly small. Also, dark days are tough.

Have a Lyman SuperTargetSpot 20x, a Leup 6.5-20x, and couple SWFA 20x fixed. 20x is not so high that it's unusable for other stuff, like shooting crows or any stationary varmint. For my eyes 20x is distinctly better than 10x for punching paper.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:34 AM
I6turbo

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
OP, not knowing any more than what you wrote, I would go with the 6-24 for what you're doing, or possibly something like a nice 8-32 if you are willing to spend the money for a good one. Like some others here, I find 24x to be a sweet spot of enjoyable shooting and also enough magnification to shoot groups that are perhaps 90% as good as one might do with more magnification. Somehow I find 36x to be a bit more like work and a bit less like fun sometimes unless I'm super serious about trying to get the best possible group result. My perspective comes from having a couple of T-36s and a Sightron Big Sky 36, Several V-24s and SII 6-24x42s, and a couple of T-24s. The only 36x scope I have mounted at the moment is the Big Sky 36 on a CZ 550 .308 Varmint. That's because that gun can benefit from the greater magnification. I don't generally use 36x on rimfires because it's just not worth it to me for the guns that I have. If I had a high end target gun shooting $20/box ammo, maybe I'd see it differently, but for my real world use, 24x suits me better most of the time.

Last edited by I6turbo; 05-24-2019 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:58 PM
MelearR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for solid the information gentleman. Think I may go the T24 route with dot.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:07 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSc View Post
. And my scopes with the 1/8 dot are my favorite- the 4-16 Weaver and the 6.5-20 Leupold...

Bob
This is exactly the ball park I would recommend with weaver being the lowest quality and magnification and that Leupold pushing the budget and necessary magnification. This is assuming a somewhat normal rifle like a cz or lower grade anschutz, etc. And assuming a used fixed power leupold is not an option.

If you have a $2,000 benchrest rimfire then you might look at a Leupold fixed 40x. And here I am going on the advise of others, because this is out of my realm of experience or budget.

I also have two rifles with now discontinued high quality fixed 12x. Quality and fine cross hair matter more than pure magnification. Many of the 6-24x scopes recommended here on rfc will not preform that well at 24x. Same for 8-32x. A 6-18 is easier to manufacture and you might even step up the quality if you trade off on the excess magnification.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:10 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I6turbo View Post
OP, not knowing any more than what you wrote, I would go with the 6-24 for what you're doing, or possibly something like a nice 8-32 if you are willing to spend the money for a good one. Like some others here, I find 24x to be a sweet spot of enjoyable shooting and also enough magnification to shoot groups that are perhaps 90% as good as one might do with more magnification. Somehow I find 36x to be a bit more like work and a bit less like fun sometimes unless I'm super serious about trying to get the best possible group result. My perspective comes from having a couple of T-36s and a Sightron Big Sky 36, Several V-24s and SII 6-24x42s, and a couple of T-24s. The only 36x scope I have mounted at the moment is the Big Sky 36 on a CZ 550 .308 Varmint. That's because that gun can benefit from the greater magnification. I don't generally use 36x on rimfires because it's just not worth it to me for the guns that I have. If I had a high end target gun shooting $20/box ammo, maybe I'd see it differently, but for my real world use, 24x suits me better most of the time.
great advice I6Turbo

Signalman
Old 05-24-2019, 01:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moedum1 View Post
When I started shooting in our club痴 50 yard USBR target matches, I used a Leupold 6-18 x 40 scope and did OK. Midway through the year I bought a used 24X Leupold and my scores improved. To start the next year I invested in a Weaver T-36X and was disappointed. Although I壇 heard about 都eeing your heartbeat/pulse in a scope, I壇 never experienced it. They say with practice controlling your breathing/shooting between heartbeats it will get better. I shoot for fun, using sporter rifles and average ammo. After a month, I went back to using the 24X scope.

I now use a Weaver T-24 on one rifle and a Leupold VX3 6.5-20 EFR on another for the matches. Both work fine at 50 yards and I can easily see where the bullets are hitting.
Also very good advice...good job Ray

SM
Old 05-24-2019, 01:56 PM
monsai52

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently picked up a Weaver 40/44 Series 6.5 - 20X with AO from Natchez, and have been pleasantly surprised by the quality for the price. I use it on an old Anschutz and it works great for my informal 25 and 50 yard bench matches with friends.

Best regards,
Old 05-24-2019, 02:56 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I find it best to have a scope that I can see the hole when I shoot so I dont have to get off the gun to look through a spotting scope (the less I move the better). This will vary with caliber and distance but for 22s at 50yd 20ish X has worked well for me.
YMMV
Old 05-24-2019, 03:52 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Ok, I知 62 years old and have shot for 50+ of those. Most of my shooting has been bird hunting with a shotgun, deer hunting with a rifle (3x9 scope) and tens of thousands of rounds with a handgun.
Hearing this from older (sorry) Gents has become the norm for me.. I have helped find and mounted several dozen new high power optics for Gents in your shoes that never/ever have been exposed to high power optics.. and this usage your opting into is WAYYYY different from the 3-9 era. The higher power the better.. aim small/miss small.