Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2019, 07:22 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The whole box

How about the whole box at 50?
This took a long time. I test a gun different than most people.

I watched multiple videos of Lapua and Eley test facilities and how they test your guns for ammunition. What I noticed is that they fire shot after shot in fairly rapid succession.

Since I don't use a gun that way, I don't test my guns that way.
Sometimes I sit for hours waiting for a shot. So a gun that throws a cold bore flier is useless to me.

All fifty of these were shot in 5 shot increments then the gun was left to sit and cool for one hour. Sometimes 3-5 minutes between shots. I started this at 7:30 PM yesterday and finished up at about 7:20 AM this morning. So sometimes the gun was left to sit a little longer, or sometimes I took a bit longer between shots.

It was tedious. And since I couldn't get a good day with no wind, I lit the range up.
The conditions were very very calm but there were still slight currents. You could see that by lighting up a piece of incense , or during a good calm, you can feel the really slight currents on the side of your face. Overall it was an excellent shooting condition. I was in my bubble and I felt real good. It was really quiet and calm out here.

All the ammo that I tested, before the 50 shot string, shot extremely well. Eley is some nice stuff, I mean really nice. Both the Tennex and the Eley Match. It does even better than Lapua Center X from my gun, but it's real expensive.

I was most impressed by RWS Target. Believe it or not.
RWS Target shot really really close to the Eley stuff from my gun. We're talking splitting hairs here. All of the Ammo shot spectacularly. The reason I'm impressed with RWS is price to performance ratio. I was very surprised by how well it shot from my gun from the first time I tried it a couple days ago. So that is the ammo I chose for the 50 at 50 test.

This is the result. All off cheap sand bags from Cabelas. The Bullseye on the target is 1/2 inch. I'm pretty pleased with this. I can live with it.

And here she is in her element late yesterday afternoon. I am tired.

T.S.

Last edited by TheShootist; 03-23-2019 at 07:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:17 PM
scootch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr65 View Post
I don't have a problem spending some big bucks for a great looking, accurate rifle (just a peak into my safe will bear me out). The kind of superb accuracy seen with the Vudoo makes it very tempting. But I just can't get past that HUGE magazine set-up on the Vudoo (though I understand the rationale). If Vudoo makes one available with a flush .22LR-sized mag, I'll be signing up, but not till then.

Doug
If I understood Paul (with Vudoo) correctly, the smaller 5 round magazines they are working on will extend flush with the AI bottom metal and not the stock.

Scootch
Old 03-24-2019, 07:02 AM
Hi-NV Shooter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (32)
Great Shooting

Hope you went back and bought several cases of that RWS target
I know I would

Lee

Old 03-24-2019, 08:59 AM
hump

TPC Rating: 
100% (29)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShootist View Post
How about the whole box at 50?
This took a long time. I test a gun different than most people.

I watched multiple videos of Lapua and Eley test facilities and how they test your guns for ammunition. What I noticed is that they fire shot after shot in fairly rapid succession.

Since I don't use a gun that way, I don't test my guns that way.
Sometimes I sit for hours waiting for a shot. So a gun that throws a cold bore flier is useless to me.

All fifty of these were shot in 5 shot increments then the gun was left to sit and cool for one hour. Sometimes 3-5 minutes between shots. I started this at 7:30 PM yesterday and finished up at about 7:20 AM this morning. So sometimes the gun was left to sit a little longer, or sometimes I took a bit longer between shots.

It was tedious. And since I couldn't get a good day with no wind, I lit the range up.
The conditions were very very calm but there were still slight currents. You could see that by lighting up a piece of incense , or during a good calm, you can feel the really slight currents on the side of your face. Overall it was an excellent shooting condition. I was in my bubble and I felt real good. It was really quiet and calm out here.

All the ammo that I tested, before the 50 shot string, shot extremely well. Eley is some nice stuff, I mean really nice. Both the Tennex and the Eley Match. It does even better than Lapua Center X from my gun, but it's real expensive.

I was most impressed by RWS Target. Believe it or not.
RWS Target shot really really close to the Eley stuff from my gun. We're talking splitting hairs here. All of the Ammo shot spectacularly. The reason I'm impressed with RWS is price to performance ratio. I was very surprised by how well it shot from my gun from the first time I tried it a couple days ago. So that is the ammo I chose for the 50 at 50 test.

This is the result. All off cheap sand bags from Cabelas. The Bullseye on the target is 1/2 inch. I'm pretty pleased with this. I can live with it.

And here she is in her element late yesterday afternoon. I am tired.

T.S.
SWEET Shooting Done There LOVE THAT RIFLE/SCOPE COMBO - AM Interested to know if you had any of the Geco Rifle left to Compare to the RWS ,I remember recently you posted pics of your Geco Group with your Anschutz 64 Silhouette . Curious if both Geco & RWS gave almost the identical Results Using the same rifle .

Last edited by hump; 03-24-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:17 AM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T.S. That is an absolutely beautiful rifle scope combination .The results are very apparent .Who wouldn't love that kind of accuracy from their rifle? I to am a Vudoo owner . I am extremely pleased with the performance of my rifle .It really likes Lapua Midas Plus .I have posted some pictures in the past of both the rifle and groups unfortunately now for some reason on this website I can no longer post photos very aggravating .Don't listen to the haters you know you have a great rifle.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:09 AM
kisssofdeath

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a lot of money laying there, I like it.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:50 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-NV Shooter View Post
Hope you went back and bought several cases of that RWS target
I know I would

Lee
That will be in the works tomorrow. I'd like to have two cases of the same lot number. If they have it.
Both of the Eley, Tennex and Match shot really well. And so did Center X.
Overall, out of the three, they are too close to call a clear winner.

Eley Match, Eley Tennex and RWS all shot to very nearly the same POI, without having to patch the bore out.
Switching from any of those three to Center X without patching the bore, saw the Center X go all over the place. But, patching the barrel clean, and two fouling shots of Center X , let the gun sit for an hour.....and Center X performed excellently from the cold bore,,,as did the other three loads. But you can't follow Eley or RWS, with Center X, without cleaning the bore. Well, you could.....but you would waste a lot of shots shooting the barrel in to spec for that load.

Going from Center X to any of the other three without cleaning the bore and those three loads go to grouping immediately.

You could stagger RWS, Eley Match and Tennex in the magazine in no particular order and you would be hard pressed to see a difference on paper , from my gun.

RWS surprised me in a big way. This is the first time I ever tried this load in any of my guns. I started to not even buy any of it, and I got talked into it. Almost missed the boat on that.

For the 50 shot test the bore was cleaned until the patches came out lilly white. Then two fouling shots to lay the RWS lead into the lands and grooves. Let the gun sit for several hours before I started. And it did that.

I'm not in any hurry to repeat the test that I did. It was time consuming, tedious and nerve racking. But from it I do know that I have a gun that refuses to throw a cold bore flier. I know that if I have to sit for several hours for one shot, that this shot will go where I need it to go. That is the number 1 , most important, thing to me about any gun.

Those poor people at Vudoo Gunworks were tired of hearing from me, but they delivered with no compromises. Paul Parrot, surely knows how to spec a gun out to near perfection.

T.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hump View Post
SWEET Shooting Done There LOVE THAT RIFLE/SCOPE COMBO - AM Interested to know if you had any of the Geco Rifle left to Compare to the RWS ,I remember recently you posted pics of your Geco Group with your Anschutz 64 Silhouette . Curious if both Geco & RWS gave almost the identical Results Using the same rifle .
I bought the Geco for my Kimber HS. It's the gun that shoots Geco the best. I have not tested Geco ammo in the Vudoo v22.
Right now I'm working on a case or two of RWS Target......hopefully the same lot numbers. Along with another brick of Eley Match and another brick of Center X.
I have more confidence in these three, than I have in Geco.
I have a lot of confidence in RWS with the Vudoo gun.
Very surprising to me, but it is what it is.

T.S.
Old 03-24-2019, 07:53 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Cold bore shots.

The first three shots from a cold bore at 8:00 Am this morning.

Gun was not touched again, until 7:00Pm.
Gun was left to sit for 11 hours with a round chambered just as if you might do in a tactical situation or hunting situation.

And then the first three at 7:00 Pm this evening. Both groups shot in fairly light varying winds. Wind was real slight.

Ammo used - RWS Target.

Bullseye size is 1/4 inch or 6.35 Millimeters.

T.S.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:53 PM
Sophia

That Evil Admin Lady
TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Well, you know what the problem with a rifle like that is, don't you? No excuses.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:18 PM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia View Post
Well, you know what the problem with a rifle like that is, don't you? No excuses.
True. I'll own it.
I'm pleased with the purchase.
I have a lot into it but in the end it was worth it to me.
A custom gun I can hunt with, Go long range with, or target shoot at 25 and 50.

T.S.
Old 03-26-2019, 08:15 AM
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (230)
That is indeed very good shooting, T.S., and with a very accurate -- and it seems, not very fussy -- rifle. I'm curious, though. With that 50-shot group, what was your POA? Some time ago, I inquired in another thread here whether 10-shot or 20-shot groups might be a better indicator of rifle accuracy than 5-shot groups. There were a number of different opinions about that, but it was advised that if I wanted to try that, it would be best to have a different POA than POI -- say, a POA an inch below the desired POI -- as multiple shots with the same POA and POI will soon obliterate a precise spot to aim. That made a lot of sense to me.

Or perhaps you just lined up your scope's reticle with the "cross-hairs" of the target for each shot?

Doug

Last edited by dbr65; 03-26-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:38 AM
TheShootist

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Point of aim was the left corner. scope was pulled off to the right for the 50 shot test.

For the last two targets marked cold bore, the scope was put back to zero and the right corner was used on the 1/4 inch bulls.

It all depends on how I get situated on sand bags as to which corners I use.
If I feel that the gun is more naturally pointed without any undue pressures that may effect the shot, I might use the right, left ,. top or bottom corners.

Off sand bags is a lot different than off a nice rest.

T.S.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:22 PM
ppsmadk

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Vudoo

I just got my Vudoo with MPA Hybrid chassis and installed a Vortex AMG. Have you done any chronograph testing with the various types of ammunition? If so what have you found?
Old 07-02-2019, 05:47 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppsmadk View Post
I just got my Vudoo with MPA Hybrid chassis and installed a Vortex AMG. Have you done any chronograph testing with the various types of ammunition? If so what have you found?
The OP of this thread is no longer a member of RFC.

DrGunner
Old 07-02-2019, 07:58 PM
52DH&R12

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
That's just sad, TS was a very informative poster, why did he leave??