Kel Tech CP33 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:36 AM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kel Tech CP33

Don't ban me (Kel Tec makes some weird stuff), but this polymer wonder coming out some day has 33 rnd mags?

https://www.keltecweapons.com/pistols/cp33/

threaded barrel, 22lr, fiber sights, rails, 24OZ unloaded, 3.5lb trigger.

Seems like a run toy.
Old 01-19-2019, 06:00 AM
Screwball
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Id consider it when I move out of NJ... but two constraints; have to let it get out to be sure it worked, and would have to wait until it got in stock.

That reminds me a lot of that .22 Magnum pistol/carbine they did, and not even sure if they got that running right. Very neat idea, but KelTec struggles getting them produced.

Even their RDB, I love their Survival model. But never see them... and that one is actually NJ compliant from Jump Street. It also is probably a blessing, because I had to change out a lot on my KSG (sold, controls were too different from other shotguns) and SUB-2000 (trigger is airsoft/BB gun like from factory; MCARBO is the way to go) to get them to my liking. No way in hell would I sell my Tavor to get an RDB of any variation.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Gripen
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
96% (26)
Stupid ugly, like all Kel-Tecs, but I love the engineering ingenuity behind that magazine. Hope they make a carbine version one day.

I wonder how thick the magazine is? Be nice if it could fit in an AR magwell.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:51 PM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, sorta wish Ruger or Browning could pull that off as they know how to make pretty guns.
Old 01-19-2019, 08:35 PM
Tom_in_MO
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Looks like a prop gun from a cheesy 1950s sci-fi movie.....

It'll be interesting to see a review of it.

Edit: like this one.

Last edited by Tom_in_MO; 01-19-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 AM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I admit it looks goofy, but this looks like more function over form.

Trigger better than Mark IV, hair better than buckmark minus sear spring flip
Much, much higher capacity
Weight without ammo on Mark III/IV lite level

Also being mostly polymer makes me question long term reliability. Like it's not going to be a Ruger Mark I that your grandkids are shooting. (I literally shot a Mark I a couple weeks back, stored in a shed in Idaho, worked fine).

But that aside, if this works, I think the fun factor will put it over the edge and maybe force Browning, Ruger, and S&W to stop making the same guns over and over again. But I see the reasons. If gov gets out of control and puts in national mag restrictions, everything would be bricked.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:57 AM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kel-Tec seems to like gimmicky stuff. They also have an extended 50 round mag for it........

Imagine how long it would take to load either magazine. Looks like it would be prone to rim lock, something I have to watch in my Guardian .32ACP. Also, the clear mags would be more likely to crack, clear polymers just aren't as tough as colored.
Old 01-21-2019, 11:10 AM
billmeek

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
Imagine how long it would take to load either magazine.
About the same amount of time as it takes me to load 3 (or 5) ten-round mags for any other 22LR.
Old 01-22-2019, 05:06 AM
dtp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looking at Jeremy's review, he noted cold weather but in his notes on reliability cites a couple instances of rimlock. Most of the issues he blames on 'thick lube' and cold weather where it is clearly cold in the video.

I know with the PMR30 (wmr pistol from kel tec), they had a bunch of issues early on, then got it working well. I hope they learned from it and this isn't another case of letter customers do their quality assurance for them.

edit: looks like it's already malfunctioning at shot show 2019. At least looked like one fail to reset?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rl1YNYTCKk

Last edited by dtp; 01-22-2019 at 12:21 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 10:19 AM
iceweazel
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question

Seems a few of the production models are finding their way to Bud's and a few other outlets now and into the public's hands. I'm curious what folks think when they get their hands on them.
Old 07-13-2019, 06:07 PM
bjblackmamba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've had one for a few months and here are some initial impressions:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...highlight=CP33

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. I'm having a lot of fun with the CP33.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:35 PM
challer61

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripen View Post
Stupid ugly, like all Kel-Tecs, but I love the engineering ingenuity behind that magazine. Hope they make a carbine version one day.

I wonder how thick the magazine is? Be nice if it could fit in an AR magwell.
There is a brace kit
Old 08-13-2019, 07:29 PM
dyecocker1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have had mine since the beginning of summer. Noting the same first round feed as you. I shoot with a suppressor and the mags tend to foul up and not feed great relatively quickly. I split the pistol and did a little trimming to the mag well to make the mags drop in and out much easier. I also bought the tandemkross safety, thumb rest, grip tape and mag plates for a little bling. Fun little gun, cant wait for the 50 round mags and a mag loader
Old 08-13-2019, 07:48 PM
dyecocker1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
Kel-Tec seems to like gimmicky stuff. They also have an extended 50 round mag for it........

Imagine how long it would take to load either magazine. Looks like it would be prone to rim lock, something I have to watch in my Guardian .32ACP. Also, the clear mags would be more likely to crack, clear polymers just aren't as tough as colored.
Loading the mags is simple and takes no longer than you loading 3 10 round mags

The mags feed very well when clean, my problem with suppressor is carbon buildup in the mag makes them unhappy. I have tried grease, they foul faster. Have yet to experiment with a dry lube. Time will tell