very disappointed in new standard MKIV 6" - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-20-2018, 09:06 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
very disappointed in new standard MKIV 6"

first range trip yesterday, this pistols PATTERNS , not GROUPS ! clean, light lube, 15 yds from a rest, iron sights. groups are 4-6 inches with mini mags ! terrible, I tried gecko, and blazer, maybe a little better. my old stoeger luger shot much better groups ! not funny. maybe it is my old tired eyes with irons, I think I will mount a red dot and see if it makes any difference. this is my first ruger I have been this un happy with, something IS WRONG ! beautiful pistol , but that's ALL !the only change I have made was I installed a TK titanium firing pin. any one out there have any ideas ? I can`t tolerate a gun that wont shoot decent, that's just me. my MKIV stainless target is very accurate. I am really frustrated.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:29 AM
CDR_Glock
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
very disappointed in new standard MKIV 6"

Try the pistol with the factory parts, again?

What is the trigger weight?

Do you have CCI Standard, RWS or Eley Ammo?

I acquired a Ruger Mark IV SS Target and mine is spot on free handed.

It has an integrated Suppressor barrel. But, everything else is factory.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by CDR_Glock; 10-20-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-20-2018, 10:20 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking thanks for your reply

I don`t think the firing pin change would affect the accuracy, that is the only non factory part besides the wood grips. I will have to try some cci std velo ammo that I have. my MKIV stainless target is perfect. I like the standard due to it`s lighter weight but it will get a little heavier when I add a rail and red dot. you have a nice one there, glad yours is accurate.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:20 AM
Ferox34
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Good news // bad news.

Jon,

Glad to hear your Stoeger is a good shooter, not glad to hear about your Mark IV.

Maybe a phone call to Ruger is in order, they will probably tell you to send it in.
Old 10-20-2018, 11:00 AM
CDR_Glock
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
I don`t think the firing pin change would affect the accuracy, that is the only non factory part besides the wood grips. I will have to try some cci std velo ammo that I have. my MKIV stainless target is perfect. I like the standard due to it`s lighter weight but it will get a little heavier when I add a rail and red dot. you have a nice one there, glad yours is accurate.

Iím sorry to hear about yours.

One thing to check is make sure the sights arenít wobbly, damaged or loose. I canít imagine that they would be but stranger things have happened.

I have changed my trigger on my Mark II TARGET Competition to a Volquartsen. But I want to keep my newer pistol stock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 10-20-2018, 11:01 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
first range trip yesterday, this pistols PATTERNS , not GROUPS ! clean, light lube, 15 yds from a rest, iron sights. groups are 4-6 inches with mini mags ! terrible, I tried gecko, and blazer, maybe a little better. my old stoeger luger shot much better groups ! not funny. maybe it is my old tired eyes with irons, I think I will mount a red dot and see if it makes any difference. this is my first ruger I have been this un happy with, something IS WRONG ! beautiful pistol , but that's ALL !the only change I have made was I installed a TK titanium firing pin. any one out there have any ideas ? I can`t tolerate a gun that wont shoot decent, that's just me. my MKIV stainless target is very accurate. I am really frustrated.
Jon,

At 15 yards from a rest, CCI mini mags (36 or 40 grain?), a cleaned MkIV 6" Standard with Iron sights...I'd expected at least 1" groupings!

I just got back from a Ruger shoot out (MkIV Hunter, 22\45 Lites, MkII Std) in Missouri where my new MkII 6" with non-adjustable iron sights and on a rest was getting 1" groupings at 25 yards with CCI MM RNCP 40 Gr. 1235 fps ammo...functioned flawlessly! Additionally, the CCI SV LRN 40gr 1070fps ammo also was equally accurate and functioned perfectly!!

Now the Winchester Super X (RNCP 40gr 1300fps) and Fiocchi (RNCP 40gr 1250 fps) we experimented with (trying to shoot up) were as you described...pattering 4" to 6" with a few stovepipes, FTFire and FTFeed issues!

Depending on the lube type and amount you used, we found the CCI MM's dispensed from the McFadden ultimate clip loader into the OEM clips much faster and easier than any of the Winchester or Fiocchi, with no additional lubrication except prior cleaning of the actions and mags before the shootout using the dry lube "Hornady One Shot".

If your trigger pull came in OOTB like my Hunter (5.25#) and 22\45 Lite (5.75#), then some tuning should assist in accuracy and tighter groupings. However if with a good rest and accurate ammo the patterns are still all over the place, you might need to send it to Ruger for an overall function\performance evaluation!?!

Good Shooting,

Ted
Old 10-20-2018, 07:32 PM
RCrosby257

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unhappy Mk. IV Accuracy

Sure sounds like a "Call Ruger" to me!
That said, assuming the sights are on right, I'd take a close look at the muzzle crown. Unless it snuck through with no rifling (that too has happened) it shouldn't be shooting that poorly. Frame to receiver connection is secure?
Good luck.
Old 10-20-2018, 09:10 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Red face rifling

after I cleaned it today I did a close bore light inspection of the crown and rifling. crown looks perfect, no damage, rifling is there, but sure looks very "thin", not deep grooves. I am going to get my excellent MKIV stainless target out tomorrow and closely compare rifling. I may have bought a factory defect that no one in Q/C noticed. after hearing what kind of groups everyone else is getting I am REALLY UPSET. this thing, with the 6" barrel ,is producing FIST size groups at 15 yards ,iron sights from a rest, using cci mini mags. I think I will contact Ruger C/S after I compare the rifling with my other MKIV, and see what they say. since it is registered with them for my purchase back in Feb 2018, maybe it will ship to them on their nickel. I understand that I can ship it to them since it is going back to the mfg for repair, and if they don't replace the serial number bearing part they can ship it back to my home address. if they replace it, I have to pick it up through my local FFL gun shop. I appreciate every ones input, in my 55 years of buying new Ruger guns this is the first LEMON I have got. BTW, sights are centered, and tight , gun is clean and assembled correctly. it functioned excellent. with 3 good brands of ammo, but wouldn't produce a decent group with any , even after 300 PLUS break in rounds down the tube.
Old 10-23-2018, 07:03 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thumbs up Ruger email reply

the C/S dept said they want to inspect my pistol, I need to call them and they will set it up for a return. got to call them today, go find a good shipping box, remove my wood grips and the TK firing pin I have added. I hope they can figure out WHY this pistol is shooting SO BAD and fix it or replace it.

Last edited by jon p; 10-23-2018 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
the C/S dept said they want to inspect my pistol, I need to call them and they will set it up for a return. got to call them today, go find a good shipping box, remove my wood grips and the TK firing pin I have added. I hope they can figure out WHY this pistol is shooting SO BAD and fix it or replace it.
Good deal, Jon!

27 years ago, I sent Ruger my MkII SS Competition slab sided for a safety issue (my fault). They dropped in a new sear\hammer and accurized the trigger to 2#. Then using a ransom rest, shot a 10-round grouping that clover leafed in the same hole at 25 yds...sent me the target for proof of accuracy...All of this at their expense!!

I'd expect they will take care of your concerns in similar "Great CS" fashion!!

Ted
Old 10-23-2018, 04:31 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Talking very positive talk with ruger C/S today

very nice young lady, who really cares about my concern with my new standard MKIV 6". I removed my TK firing pin and put plastic grips back on. I hope they discover why this pistol is so IN ACCURATE . I also mentioned that the magazines feel draggy when inserting and removing, not smooth like my target stainless MKIV. something inside is dragging on the mag and I can`t tell what. all I know is it isn`t right. she wanted to send me a fed x shipping label ,I told her I am no where near a fed x location, how about UPS ,1 mile from my home. she said I will do one better, I will send UPS out to your house Friday with a shipping label , I won`t even have to address the pkg ! wow, working with the customer, that IS Ruger, I am pleased. she said we will find out why your new pistol does not shoot well and fix it. that's what I wanted to hear. took a lot of stress level out of the situation for me, I am too fricken OLD to have stress. LOL. will report back when I get my pistol back home.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:33 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo98 View Post
Good deal, Jon!

27 years ago, I sent Ruger my MkII SS Competition slab sided for a safety issue (my fault). They dropped in a new sear\hammer and accurized the trigger to 2#. Then using a ransom rest, shot a 10-round grouping that clover leafed in the same hole at 25 yds...sent me the target for proof of accuracy...All of this at their expense!!

I'd expect they will take care of your concerns in similar "Great CS" fashion!!

Ted
this is the FIRST ruger product I have ever had problems with.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:39 PM
Ferox34

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Great news.

Good to hear Ruger is stepping up on this. The one time I had to return a pistol to them I was very satisfied. Now all you have to do is wait. I think mine took about 2 weeks from when I mailed it, to when I got it back.

Patience IS a virtue!!! Just go shoot something else. Not like it is your only gun.

Ferox34
Old 10-23-2018, 04:46 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Smile i am pleased

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox34 View Post
Good to hear Ruger is stepping up on this. The one time I had to return a pistol to them I was very satisfied. Now all you have to do is wait. I think mine took about 2 weeks from when I mailed it, to when I got it back.

Patience IS a virtue!!! Just go shoot something else. Not like it is your only gun.

Ferox34
I shoot all my guns in rotation so this one in the hospital won`t be missed for a while ! I hope they tell me what is wrong and test fire it .
Old 10-23-2018, 04:58 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I had to send my MK III to them last year . They replaced quite a few parts including the grip frame & didn't charge me so much as a penny . They even covered S&H both ways. They offer great customer service .They even had it back to me in about 2 weeks total .