Failure to feed, out of ideas. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-13-2017, 07:00 PM
Meroh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Slightly open up the lips on the back of the mag (very little at a time, to see if this helps the bolt pick up the shell. If it is a slight improvement, then try a bit more.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:11 PM
RUSTY OLD COLT
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Is this a problem with the 22/45 model or all mk4 pistols ? I was looking to add a Mk4 to the collection but with all the firing pin and feed problems I may hold off .
Old 12-13-2017, 08:27 PM
wv109323

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The bolt is over riding the rim of the case and contacting the side of the round. Does the pistol feed the first round out of the magazine without any problems? If the first round feeds OK then it is not an issue with the height of the round.
If it fails after the first round then there is an issue with getting the round up where the bolt can hit the rim and slide the round into the chamber. That could be a weak magazine spring. The rim of the case is dragging on the side of the magazine. The speed of the bolt is too quick. The bolt is never recoiling far enough rearward to pick up the rim.
A weak magazine spring is worse on the latter rounds in the mag where there is less spring pressure.

Old 12-13-2017, 10:40 PM
Chuck32571

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Almost all failure to feed problems originate with the magazine itself. Looking at your photos shows me the round is nose high when the bolt returns to chamber the round. Two prime causes are the front lips of the magazine are too loose or the magazine follower is pushing the rounds nose up.

Old 12-14-2017, 10:04 AM
fuzebox40

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmk View Post
Just for fun,,,
hold "up" pressure on the magazine during firing.

Many times the magazine is too low for the next round to strip out of the magazine properly.

I am SO happy when I test fire a new MK pistol, and it does not have any feed issues,,,,,
the fact that it runs would stop me from doing anything to the magazine, or ramp,, or chamber.

Somewhere I read about a tweak that will hold the mag higher,,,,
My thoughts as well. On appearance alone, one can see the bolt is ether missing the rim all together or skipping off of it as the slug rises, rather than picking it up. Given the fact that you tried 5 dif mags already, it stands to reason that the culprit is within the magwell of the gun. More than that I cannot say without "hands on" so to speak, but my 2-cents bets that that is where the booger will be found. Though the resolve could still be ether there or a magazine mod.
Old 12-14-2017, 12:45 PM
jiwilliams
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Thanks for all the suggestions.

All the magazines are relatively new and have strong springs.
All the mags were polished and cleaned and slicked up with a light coat of Kroil.

I don't disagree that there may be a need for the mags to seat higher. I'm not sure how to accomplish that.

I think what is occurring is as the bullet comes forward, the nose rises up on the feed ramp and starts to enter the chamber but the rim of the round has not released from the magazine and as the bolt continues forward it pushes the rim downward where it slides under the bolt.

This is my friends gun and in frustration today he ordered a new VQ Scorpion. I think this is headed back to Ruger.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:24 PM
rossi22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
buy a new complete spring assembly try it. and or cut a coil off old assembly. get rid of lci
Old 12-14-2017, 11:21 PM
jiwilliams

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Rossi,

First, as this is a MkIV there is no LCI. And multiple spring weights were tried.

Now, this gun had a full VQ competition kit in it which eliminates the mag disconnect.

When I reinstalled the factory parts tonight (a pain in the arse) I noted that the mag disconnect grips and pushes the mag forward slightly when seated.

For ****e and giggles I may shoot it again in the morning with all the factory parts to see if it still malfunctions. I don't know whether I'm hopeful it does or it doesn't. I can't see this pistol having much value for competition if it needs the mag disconnect block to control feeding as the factory trigger is quite poor.

Joe
Old 12-15-2017, 01:56 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwilliams View Post
For ****e and giggles I may shoot it again in the morning with all the factory parts to see if it still malfunctions. I don't know whether I'm hopeful it does or it doesn't.
You know if it functions with the factory parts, it will be a waste of time to send it back. Ruger will just return it with "No Problem Found".

Quote:
I can't see this pistol having much value for competition if it needs the mag disconnect block to control feeding as the factory trigger is quite poor.
All you really need is the sear and possibly the trigger bar for a light trigger pull. The target trigger lets you remove the takeup and over travel. Just don't install the hammer and bushing if you keep the disconnect safety.
Old 12-15-2017, 07:37 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwilliams View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions.

...snip...

This is my friends gun and in frustration today he ordered a new VQ Scorpion. I think this is headed back to Ruger.
I will be interesting to hear how his Scorpion shoots compared to the Ruger after fixed and VQ parts re-instralled.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:54 AM
jiwilliams

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Well I went by the range on Friday with the pistol restored to stock configuration. The first mag ran Ok but the second mag and each one thereafter had the same feeding problem.

I don't think this is a problem where the bolt isn't picking up the round. I think the magazine lips are holding onto the round too long. When the bullet hits the ramp / chamber the rim is still captive under the feed lips and the bolt pushes the rim downward, and the rim slips under the leading edge of the bolt.

At least that is what is happening in my minds eye I wish I had access to a high speed camera so I could observe the actual malfunction.

It is headed back to Ruger on Monday morning.
Old 12-17-2017, 02:52 PM
RUSTY OLD COLT
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Let us know what they replaced when you get it back. My feeling is something is off in the lower frame ( Magwell area ) Are all these feeding problems with the 22/45 frame or are they happening with the slanted grip metal frames also?

Last edited by RUSTY OLD COLT; 12-17-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:00 AM
Kandaje

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Greetings...

The mag sits too low relative to the chamber.

Either the mag's too low because the frame is a tad too long, or because the chamber is a tad too high in the upper. The latter being the least likely of the two possibilities but not improbable. The only time I've ever seen such a 'problem' gun, was for that very reason. An off-center chamber. If I recall, the fix was to polish the lower edge of the chamber, but that was in another gun. I would not recommend that in any Ruger.

As someone else suggested, pushing up on the mag when loaded, is a common "fix" in many .22's in general - I don't know if that's even possible in a Mk 4. I know my mag's are pretty tight to begin with. I've owned (and gotten rid of) many others (jam-o-matics) with that exact same problem.

If you have the chance to test out your upper with a known working gun, then you know it's not the upper (assuming it works). A confirmation would be that if you tested out your lower with a known working upper and it started showing the same problem, confirming it's the lower. I just got 2 new Mk 4's, so I could perform that test. You may not be able to, I don't know. A friendly gunsmith who has a working gun available could perform the test. That kind of test would at least confirm where the problem lies. Upper or Lower.

Oddly enough, my new Target is a tad more accurate than the new Hunter! That was never true in the past!
Old 01-09-2018, 08:55 PM
jiwilliams

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Ruger replaced the barrel itself and bolt and all 5 mags. They did nothing to the lower. Surprisingly.. it now shoots, jam free.. shot 100 rds (20 through each mag) without any issues. I wish I understood what the problem was but I'll settle for a Gun that runs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180109_203712_1515552554335.jpg (61.8 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-12-2018, 09:11 PM
valvestem
US Coast Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well well, they just replaced the parts and did not tell you why the original malfunctioned, that stinks not knowing, but I am glad you got in resolved.