Ruger Mark IV I am always one feature short - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 AM
ChattanoogaPhil
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

About a quarter of the population of America aren't considered worthy of exercising freedom so they can't legally own a suppressor, such as the good citizens of RI where RFC member SailDesign resides. A lot of people are ignorant of sound reduction, such as reflected in RFC member bearcatter's post. But the overriding factor is that most folks don't have any place to shoot where a suppressor would be of any value. Their shooting experience is generally limited to being jammed on a shooting line with a bunch of other folks blasting away. So really, other than to attach a muzzle ornament there is little value in a threaded barrel.

For those of us who live in free states, understand the value of sound suppression and aren't limited to shooting with a bunch of other people on a shooting line, suppressed rimfire shooting is among the most enjoyable shooting there is.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-29-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-29-2016, 09:56 AM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregbenner View Post
I like threaded so I can add a compensator. Tame the beast, plus, looks cool
Yeah, a .22 is a real beast.

I wouldn't look twice at anything with a threaded barrel, but that is me. Have no use for them, no interest in them, don't care to go through all the waiting and hassles and expense of getting them. I guess ear protection is just too inconvenient. Apparently, all the tacticool folks have to have them, makes them think they are snipers.

≡✪≡
Old 09-29-2016, 11:05 AM
weblance

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
If you're not ready to buy yet, hold onto your baggy pants, more will follow.

Sometimes, I just gotta wonder if the "millennials" do everything they do, in a vicious hurry. If that's the case, their "significant others" must be in a very frustrated state.
Once again, an excellent post by SGW. The OP is a Marine Corps member, and a Veteran, and been a member here since 2008. Why do we assume hes a baggy pants Millennial who cant perform his duties efficiently and correctly, simply because he asked a question about a new product? SGW needs to grow up

Old 09-29-2016, 11:32 AM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
About a quarter of the population of America aren't considered worthy of exercising freedom so they can't legally own a suppressor, such as the good citizens of RI where RFC member SailDesign resides. A lot of people are ignorant of sound reduction, such as reflected in RFC member bearcatter's post. But the overriding factor is that most folks don't have any place to shoot where a suppressor would be of any value. Their shooting experience is generally limited to being jammed on a shooting line with a bunch of other folks blasting away. So really, other than to attach a muzzle ornament there is little value in a threaded barrel.

For those of us who live in free states, understand the value of sound suppression and aren't limited to shooting with a bunch of other people on a shooting line, suppressed rimfire shooting is among the most enjoyable shooting there is.
Which is all very well, Phil - but I am simply not bothered by not being allowed to have one. If I wish a quiet shoot, the 52B heavy-barrel with Eley yellow-box hardly makes a noise anyway.

I am saved the issue of cleaning it, also. Same would go for a comp (not that it would be needed on a 22 unless for tacticool decoration)

Just never was interested in something sticking out in front of the gun, except for the zombie-fighting bayonet on the SR22. That IS important.

Old 09-29-2016, 12:05 PM
bearcatter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
A lot of people are ignorant of sound reduction, such as reflected in RFC member bearcatter's post.......... Their shooting experience is generally limited to being jammed on a shooting line with a bunch of other folks blasting away.......suppressed rimfire shooting is among the most enjoyable shooting there is.
I'm not "jammed" on a shooting line. It's often only 2-3 of us with the place to ourselves. I've had experience from several of those with suppressors, on and off the same gun, so I'm not so "ignorant". I don't hear a lot of difference, without my muffs, with a "tamed" .22. They may be useful on larger calibers, but a truly effective centerfire suppressor is somewhat huge and unwieldy.

When they tell me how much they have invested in this miraculous device, I struggle for something polite to say. If it's so enjoyable, I guess I've been miserable all these years. The "BANG!" is part of the fun.

I guess I have, along with SGW, Shirley, and SailDesign, touched a nerve. Sorry!
Old 09-29-2016, 12:40 PM
jaird
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 22/45 with a threaded barrel and I have shot a few thousand rounds through it. Without the suppressor the report is too loud for me. With the suppressor, I do not use hearing protection. I bought the suppressor due to complaints of noise from the neighbors to our range as I usually shoot early.The only draw back I have discovered is when others show up without suppressed firearms, then I have to wear hearing protection. I can understand that some may not choose to go through the process to own a suppressor, however I don't understand denigrating those who have suppressor. Whether one chooses to own or not to own a suppressor is a personal decision.
BTW, when I am using a suppressor at the range, most other shooters are fascinated by the great reduction in sound, especially when I am shooting CCI quiet ammo in my bolt action rifle

To each his/her own.

Last edited by jaird; 09-29-2016 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-29-2016, 12:47 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaird View Post
I have a 22/45 with a threaded barrel and I have shot a few thousand rounds through it. Without the suppressor the report is too loud for me. With the suppressor, I do not use hearing protection. I bought the suppressor due to complaints of noise from the neighbors to our range as I usually shoot early.The only draw back I have discovered is when others show up without suppressed firearms, then I have to wear hearing protection. I can understand that some may not choose to go through the process to own a suppressor, however I don't understand denigrating those who have suppressor. Whether one chooses to own or not to own a suppressor is a personal decision.
BTW, when I am using a suppressor at the range, most other shooters are fascinated by the great reduction in sound, especially when I am shooting CCI quiet ammo in my both action rifle

To each his/her own.
I have not, as far as I'm aware, done anyone down for wanting to use one - merely stated that I don't personally see the point.

I was held up as an example of a poor soul whose location did not permit him/her to own one, and hopefully set the record straight that it didn't bother me. If I was misunderstood enough that it read that I thought people with them were somehow lacking, then I apologise.

Old 09-29-2016, 01:30 PM
ChattanoogaPhil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post
I'm not "jammed" on a shooting line. It's often only 2-3 of us with the place to ourselves. I've had experience from several of those with suppressors, on and off the same gun, so I'm not so "ignorant". I don't hear a lot of difference, without my muffs, with a "tamed" .22. They may be useful on larger calibers, but a truly effective centerfire suppressor is somewhat huge and unwieldy.

When they tell me how much they have invested in this miraculous device, I struggle for something polite to say. If it's so enjoyable, I guess I've been miserable all these years. The "BANG!" is part of the fun.

I guess I have, along with SGW, Shirley, and SailDesign, touched a nerve. Sorry!
You began by saying "comparatively small reduction in sound. A .22 is not that loud!"

Most folks shoot suppressed Rugers with CCI Standard Velocity or some other subsonic equivalent. Out of a 5in barrel that'll deliver about 150db. Shorter barrels a bit higher. Supressed will bring that down to under 120db. The notion that's a small reduction is what I meant by ignorance.

Now you say you don't hear a lot of difference. Anyone who says they can't hear the difference either has severe hearing loss or limited experience to shooting only HV ammo through a pistol which keeps things fairly loud with a supersonic crack.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-29-2016 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:49 PM
ChattanoogaPhil

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailDesign View Post
Which is all very well, Phil - but I am simply not bothered by not being allowed to have one. If I wish a quiet shoot, the 52B heavy-barrel with Eley yellow-box hardly makes a noise anyway.

I am saved the issue of cleaning it, also. Same would go for a comp (not that it would be needed on a 22 unless for tacticool decoration)
52B.... We're talking Ruger pistols, not rifles. Much different as far as muzzle report.

As far as cleaning.... I've got a couple cans. One is a YHM Wraith sealed can. I don't clean it. Well... now and then I'll dunk it in a bit of mineral spirits and blow it out with an air hose but that's it. YHM will clean and replace the aluminum baffle for $100 every $25k rounds or so. My Silencerco Sparrow is user serviceable. Every thousand rounds or so it takes about 10 minutes to clean the clamshells and chip off the carbon from the first baffle. The rest of the monocore stays surprisingly clean. I used to try to keep it cleaner with the DIP but found it really was a waste of time. Reading so many posts in the Mark II and III sections from folks endlessly agonizing over field stripping, cleaning a can would be far less of a chore for many RFC members.

I agree with you about the uselessness of a comp. That said, I did have a VQ comp on one of my Rugers. Over a period of years the ports completely filled and it's weight about doubled or more. It was then a bit more effective at reducing muzzle rise.

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 09-29-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:23 PM
SailDesign

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
52B.... We're talking Ruger pistols, not rifles. Much different as far as muzzle report.

<huge snip!>
Well, we were talking noise. I merely said that if I wished a quiet shoot, I would take a 52B. If it's not an issue, I take a pistol, but I know it won't be quiet.

I'd rather own the 52 than the silencer.

Old 09-29-2016, 02:40 PM
U_P_Investigator

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The fact is that the caliber which benefits most from a suppressor is the .22

Those who benefit least are the centerfire calibers, and that benefit declines with their projectile velocity and bore diameter. Not the reverse.

Most suppressed centerfire weapons are loud enough to still warrant ear protection. The properly suppressed .22 is as quiet -or quieter than- an air rifle.

These are measurable and confirmed scientific facts, not subjective opinion.
Old 09-29-2016, 02:42 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcatter View Post

I have to agree with bearcatter. Half of the fun of shooting a .22 is hearing it go "BANG". I often get together with several people at a friends property for an afternoon of shooting. We don't use hearing protection or suppressors on our .22s, and they aren't loud enough to bother anyone. We do put on hearing protection if anyone breaks out a larger gun.

At the indoor range, there's a couple of guys that have suppressors for their ARs. Now THAT is (much appreciated) noise reduction! My AR has the flash suppressor welded on due to barrel length restrictions. If it was threaded, I would certainly consider going thru the hassel of getting a suppressor. For a .22, I also have/see no need for a threaded barrel. But there's nothing wrong with those who do.
Old 09-29-2016, 03:21 PM
ThunderStick

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I love, I mean love my silencers! The hassle to get them is well worth it to me!

I was just pointing out that if Ruger follows the same path with the MKIV as the MKIII, I'll keep my MKIII Hunter and have it threaded. I'll reserve full judgement until I have handled a IV, but from where I'm at the IV looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist for me.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:39 PM
NHcollector

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I waffled for a couple of years on getting suppressors, finally bought a couple in July, a .22 can and a hybrid centerfire can. I'll be waiting 3-4 months on the tax stamps. The .22 can will see duty on a Mk III 22/45 and a Sig 522. The centerfire will see use on a couple of 300 BO ARs, a pistol and a carbine. 11/8/16 nears, it might be time to get off the fence on Class 3 items, things may/will change then.

When it comes out I'll get a Mk IV 4.5" with aluminum frame. The 4.5" barrel will keep HV ammo subsonic, I have plenty of SV ammo for the Sig. I think Ruger has a winner with the Mk IV.
Old 09-29-2016, 05:59 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weblance View Post
Once again, an excellent post by SGW. The OP is a Marine Corps member, and a Veteran, and been a member here since 2008. Why do we assume hes a baggy pants Millennial who cant perform his duties efficiently and correctly, simply because he asked a question about a new product? SGW needs to grow up
Well, thank you very much. What gives you the right to post that I directed my post to anyone here in particular? Are YOU a millennial? I thought maybe you were just another
Closed Thread