Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:49 PM
alro41
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Shipping firearms to CA

I see that most ads in the Trading Post exclude sales to CA residents. I've also noticed this in some Gunbroker ads. I recently sold and shipped a .22 rifle to a CA resident through a FFL dealer of course. It was no different than the sale and shipping to any other state. What am I missing?
Old 07-18-2019, 11:13 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Out of State FFLs have to jump through a couple of extra hoops in order to ship to CA. Non FFLs like yourself don't have to.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview
Old 07-19-2019, 12:19 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (124)
I have bought several long guns from out of state. As was said, FFL's from out of state need a permit. I bought a rifle from a pawn shop in FL, and they had to get one in order to ship to my FFL, I believe they said it cost them $100.
The private parties that won't sell to CA are just being ignorant and don't want to believe it's OK. More power to them.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:15 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's what you're missing: California has an "approved" gun list.

If the gun you want to ship is on the list, then shipping it to CA is no different than shipping it to most other states.

But... if it's NOT on the approved list, the importation/sale to a CA destination is illegal.

Many sellers don't want to mess with checking the CA list, and just exclude sale there to make life easy. More common for sellers that sell a lot of firearms, or sell frequently.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:26 AM
dons
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Here's what you're missing: California has an "approved" gun list.
Actually, it's a handgun roster. Most long arms are not affected.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:50 AM
Pete44ru

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)

It's incumbent on the BUYER to observe the laws in their state of residence, and not the seller's - so any firearm can be sent to California.

The glitch is that CA FFL holders know what's allowed in CA, and will refuse to accept any firearm that's not approved by the state.

It's a real PITA for someone outside CA to send a gun, only to have it's delivery refused, then get it back & refund the buyer's $$$ (less S&H, of course) - ergo, the refusal to send to CA.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:20 PM
bthg

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same deal as MA..... more hoops to jump through...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-19-2019, 01:54 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I used a local ffl that had a permit to ship to Kalifornistan. The rifle was a gift to my son and it cost me $75 including shipping to have it shipped to an ffl. He then had to pay transfer fees to get it out of gun jail as they call it.
He called to ask about what hunting rifle to buy when my wife said your dad has one he is not using. Thanks dear. He got a Ruger American 308 with a Burris 3-9x40 scope. Naturally I had to buy something to replace it so I got a Ranch 30.
Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 PM
Hanover67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to Hanover67
I recently went through this with a revolver I won on a Gunbroker auction. It was a Colt Police Positive Target revolver made in 1920 so I knew it was exempt from the DOJ approved gun list. The seller was listed by Gunbroker as having made 361 sales, most with excellent reviews. He is in Montana.

I had arranged for my FFL to receive the gun. He sent his FFL information the the seller. But, the seller was not an FFL and he just put the gun in the mail (priority mail) and sent it to my FFL. California requires that the shipper be an FFL even if he it out of state. So, my FFL said he could not legally receive my gun and sent it back to the seller in Montana, who wanted to give me a refund. I was charged $25 to send it back. I asked the seller to find an FFL who would ship it for him and I would reimburse him the cost. That cost me another $66 that his FFL, who is registered with the California DOJ, charged him. All this shipping plus the $100 my FFL charged me to do the California background check and paperwork added $255 to the $380 winning Gunbroker bid.

The good news is that the seller had mislabeled the caliber on the auction, so I got a fairly rare old Colt for about 1/3 of its normal value, even with the California nonsense.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:34 PM
Roadrat

TPC Rating: 
92% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanover67 View Post

The good news is that the seller had mislabeled the caliber on the auction, so I got a fairly rare old Colt for about 1/3 of its normal value, even with the California nonsense.
Gotta luv it when it all works out well in the end!!! Congrats....