Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-23-2019, 05:44 AM
smackdab22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Which MK 1V to buy?

Hello,

I am looking forward to purchasing a MK 1V, for several reasons I had planned to purchase the 5.5" target version in stainless steel. I really didn't consider the blued version because of the aluminum frame. After handling one the weight and balance really seemed OK to me, maybe better than the stainless steel version.
I would think both versions must shoot the same and except for having a slight weight difference (and color), you couldn't tell the one from the other? Has anyone had any problems with the aluminum frame not being as durable as the stainless steel?

Thanks In Advance
Old 06-23-2019, 08:32 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess if you were going to drive nails to put up wanted posters like they do in western movies you might notice some difference in the life of the steel and aluminum frames. I have a MK IV Target, one of the early one's, and love it. Of course I haven't driven any nails with it.

I have a single six that I bought right after they changed from the flat gate. I've carried it countless miles and have no idea of the number of rounds it's fired over it's lifetime but it's a bunch and it has an aluminum pistol grip. It's still in great shape. I can't remember ever hearing a complaint of a Ruger aluminum frame failure and I'm pretty sure if one happened it would be all over the internet. The only complains I've seen are the finish wearing off on some of the single actions.

Last edited by Arrowhead; 06-23-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:18 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
my stainless target MKIV

I got it when the first came out in 2016, it has the WBR serial number. I did the recall on it, put in a TK titanium "one hole" firing pin. added a tube red dot and some wood grips, it is one big heavy pistol and shoots like a DREAM ! love the easy take down, SWEET !!

Old 06-23-2019, 09:38 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I think with the advent of the button-takedown on the Mk IV, the frame material matters less. IMHO only, of course, With a Mk III you were jamming a steel upper on to an aluminum lower. With the Mk IV, they just pop apart. Of course you have to decide the weight and balance issues for yourself.

BTW, I have a Mk III VQ mostly Scorpion, and the lower there is aluminum, I believe. No issues so far.

So, my answer is, "get the one that points most naturally for you."
Old 06-23-2019, 07:32 PM
Stevie-Ray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you decide to shoot steel challenges, I'd suggest the 22/45 Lite. Just got mine a couple weeks ago, and it's been great at that. Bushnell TRS-25 atop.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:14 AM
Areoflyer09

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flangster View Post
I think with the advent of the button-takedown on the Mk IV, the frame material matters less. IMHO only, of course, With a Mk III you were jamming a steel upper on to an aluminum lower. With the Mk IV, they just pop apart. Of course you have to decide the weight and balance issues for yourself.

BTW, I have a Mk III VQ mostly Scorpion, and the lower there is aluminum, I believe. No issues so far.

So, my answer is, "get the one that points most naturally for you."
The MkIII didn’t get aluminum frames from the factory as far I know. Both the blued and stainless were stamped steel, at least both of mine are steel.

The MkIV has an aluminum frame option.

Volquartsen’s MkIII frame is aluminum.
Old 06-24-2019, 08:22 AM
flangster

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Areoflyer09 View Post
The MkIII didn’t get aluminum frames from the factory as far I know. Both the blued and stainless were stamped steel, at least both of mine are steel.

The MkIV has an aluminum frame option.

Volquartsen’s MkIII frame is aluminum.
Ah! Have I confused my Volquartsen grip frame with the Mk III? Seems so. Apologies for the head-fake. I should have just left it as the VQ frame has had no problems. . . . Thanks!
Old 06-27-2019, 12:50 PM
Dakota Dan
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdab22 View Post
Hello,

I am looking forward to purchasing a MK 1V, for several reasons I had planned to purchase the 5.5" target version in stainless steel. I really didn't consider the blued version because of the aluminum frame. After handling one the weight and balance really seemed OK to me, maybe better than the stainless steel version.
I would think both versions must shoot the same and except for having a slight weight difference (and color), you couldn't tell the one from the other? Has anyone had any problems with the aluminum frame not being as durable as the stainless steel?

Thanks In Advance
I bought my blue MK IV 5.5 Target in January 2017. I did not keep track of the round count until a little over a year ago. In the past year I have put 2500 plus through it. Probably 5000 plus since new. It seems tight and nothing has failed yet except the firing pin recoil spring which broke, although it functioned just fine. I would think the aluminum vs steel frame would not be an issue and purchase could be based on personal preference in appearance and feel.

Last edited by Dakota Dan; 06-27-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:48 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie-Ray View Post
If you decide to shoot steel challenges, I'd suggest the 22/45 Lite. Just got mine a couple weeks ago, and it's been great at that. Bushnell TRS-25 atop.

I too have the 22/45 Lite for Steel Challenge matches. It transitions faster from target to target then my Mamba.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:37 PM
J Lee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Considering similar question. I have a 22/45 Mark IV #40107 but need a .22 to host a Rugged Suppressor Occulus that is currently on hold. Tax stamp cashed in November 2018 so a little more wait time ahead of me. Thinking a Mark IV Tactical but could just get a new upper from Tactical Solutions or VQ to go on the 22/45. Installed a VQ trigger pkg on the 22/45 so have some $ invested but would really like a Mark IV Tactical just because. Can't decide.
Old 06-29-2019, 02:47 PM
J Lee

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Considering similar question. I have a 22/45 Mark IV #40107 but need a .22 to host a Rugged Suppressor Occulus that is currently on hold. Tax stamp cashed in November 2018 so a little more wait time ahead of me. Thinking a Mark IV Tactical but could just get a new upper from Tactical Solutions or VQ to go on the 22/45. Installed a VQ trigger pkg on the 22/45 so have some $ invested but would really like a Mark IV Tactical just because. Can't decide.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:33 PM
Florida Guy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like the SS versions myself. They are nice pistols, however, I like my Volquartsen custom and Scorpion even more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (116.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (108.9 KB, 7 views)