Adjusting parallax can be done at home on a lot of scopes - Page 24 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2019, 08:11 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Find an old leather belt and cut a strip as wide as the ring you are trying to remove and just long enough to encircle the ring. Dampen it with water, and this will give an excellent grip and also cushion against the wrench. You can also get a stainless screw driven hose clamp and clamp around the leather band then carefully use a set of adjustable pliers to grip the clamp and turn. This puts even clamping pressure on the ring.

Care should be taken in all instances to not scratch or damage the scope.
Old 04-19-2019, 08:12 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterNZ View Post
PS Personally I would hesitate to use a strap wrench on small thing rings as pressure will be placed unequally around the ring. I suggest to find a rubber pipe cap (as used on legs of small tables, chairs etc) and use that instead. You might find that not much pressure is needed when placing the front of that on a flat surface and then turning it. There is then less risk of distorting the shape of the tube. This is based on having had to deal with a stubborn ring on an eyepiece for a telescope. Cheers!
I've done over a 1/2 doz. stubborn scopes with no problems so far, albeit most were Leupolds built like a tank.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Oh, whatever happened to good, old 'friction tape'....
Hockey players still use it. Best hockey playoffs right now!!
Old 04-19-2019, 11:34 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Most are not that difficult, but I have run into a few of the older Leupold 2X7 scopes that were a bear to get loose...

Old 04-19-2019, 05:46 PM
donie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
Find an old leather belt and cut a strip as wide as the ring you are trying to remove and just long enough to encircle the ring. Dampen it with water, and this will give an excellent grip and also cushion against the wrench. You can also get a stainless screw driven hose clamp and clamp around the leather band then carefully use a set of adjustable pliers to grip the clamp and turn. This puts even clamping pressure on the ring.

Care should be taken in all instances to not scratch or damage the scope.
Sounds like a great tip for the really tight ones!
Old 04-20-2019, 07:47 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
Most are not that difficult, but I have run into a few of the older Leupold 2X7 scopes that were a bear to get loose...
Ditto and not so old ones IME. I had a couple Leo's I didn't think would break loose when using 2, one on the objective to counteract the force of the other on the objective ring. If I run into another I will try some heat before using my rubber strap wrenches. btw I've had zero distortion with any of the scopes I operated on. YMMV ETC
Old 04-20-2019, 11:40 AM
pump .22s

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Ditto and not so old ones IME. I had a couple Leo's I didn't think would break loose when using 2, one on the objective to counteract the force of the other on the objective ring. If I run into another I will try some heat before using my rubber strap wrenches. btw I've had zero distortion with any of the scopes I operated on. YMMV ETC

I gave up on the rubber strap wrenches on the more difficult ones, as I was afraid of doing what has a already been warned about. Two older Leupolds in particular were really stubborn. I had about given up when I hit upon the notion to try the leather belt strips and stainless hose clamp.....making sure I was only clamping around the scope ring and not the tube itself. Dampening the leather makes it grip firmly, and then the hose clamp grips the leather. A pair of good pliers or some such can then grip the outside of the clamp and put a lot of twist without putting excessive pressure against the outside of the scope ring.

Sometimes the inner notched ring that holds the lens elements is a bit stubborn also. I have used a bench grinder to shape a piece of flat sheet metal to fit those notches. Once loosened, they move pretty easily.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:30 AM
Tyke55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Very interesting thread !

I've read the 23 pages and I'm still too chicken to do it !

Ive got a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40 Firedot and I absolutely love it but the Parallax is set to 150 and I want it set to 50 for my Sakko .22 rimfire.

Has anybody got a video or photos on doing a Leupold ? I've got a strap wrench now but the outer ring is still too tight. Next step is to use the Mrs's hairdryer.

Somebody on another forum said about 1.5 turns anticlockwise to reduce from 150 to 50. Once you get the outer ring off is it fairly straight forward to turn the inner ring ?

Really don't want to go to the expense of sending it over to the States if I can help it.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:25 AM
Tyke55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
OK removed the outer ring easily with a bit of hot air.

Do I now put a blade across these two grooves and twist ant clockwise ?

Old 04-22-2019, 12:00 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You want to use something/make something that fills those grooves fully, and square down into the bottom with enough 'wings' outboard to get good leverage on.
All that while holding the scope tube securely.
Nothing says 'amateur' more than messing stuff like this up when just being careful and conscientious gets the job done right.
Old 04-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Tyke55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks very much for the reply. Just one more question.
At full mag x9 and 50 yds the scope before reparallaxing is not in focus . Will another indication that the scope is correctly parallaxed to 50, be that it will also be in focus at that distance.
Old 04-22-2019, 02:43 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
It will be much more in focus. And the inner lens carrier will usually turn easily without tools. Just grab on with your fingers and slowly apply pressure and it should begin to turn.
Old 04-22-2019, 05:20 PM
Tyke55

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is probably a dumb question but as a rough ball park figure does anybody know roughly how many turns to get it back to 50. Just so I know if Iíve likely gone too far.
Cheers folks
Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 PM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
No tools needed to turn your objective lens assembly after getting the end ring off. Some scopes will not take much rotation to get parallax free at your desired yardage. I would turn 1/8 to 1/4 turn at a time checking parallax and focus at each stop. It won't take long to find the placed where the image no longer shifts around.
Old 04-23-2019, 12:14 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
I agree with Phil in Alabama to go 1/4 turn at a time. As I recall most of the 2-7 and 3-9 Leupolds only required about 3/4 turn to set parallax to about 50 yards.
Old 04-23-2019, 07:29 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I plunk a big bench rest bag on the bench to set the scope into as I mess with them so I can look at targets bulls of various sizes to figure out what it working. This makes it easy to bobble my head around behind with the scope staying stable. The parallax change will be easy to see.
Imo, if the scope was hard to get apart it does not need to be put back together that tight. The parts are Not head bolts on a v-8.