wanting mark xxii - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-10-2018, 09:48 PM
bassfan334

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
wanting mark xxii

I've found 3 if these in the last month and i think they're beautiful guns. All 3 priced at $650. Are these guns worth that ?
Old 03-11-2018, 08:51 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You have to be more specific. Which types of Mark XXII did you find? There was only one bolt version but those would be priced well above $650. However, there are several versions of the XXII semi-auto made by different manufacturers over the years, and those prices would vary.

You can do a quick check on Gunbroker for completed sales to give you an idea, or read some of the threads in this forum.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:00 AM
Brett Mc

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
My guess is you are contemplating the semi-auto version, a bolt action MK XXII (Anschutz 64 action) would be quite a bit more. If you have been watching these, I am sure you are aware there are magazine fed and tube fed models (I prefer the mag fed, but to each his own). As many will tell you, it all depends on condition. IMO, for a nice example, you won’t find one much cheaper. They are definitely worth $650 to me.

Old 03-11-2018, 10:48 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Semi-autos recently sold on Gunbroker ranged from a low of $341 to a high of $1230 (!!!). Most were in the $560-$800 range. For example, three mag-fed Japanese versions with the deluxe style stock (rosewood fore end & pistol grip cap, butt pad) sold for $605-$706; two of those had scopes. One early Italian version with a plain wood stock sold for $341.

Are the guns worth $650? They are if people will pay that, or more. But the real question is, are they worth that to you?
Old 03-11-2018, 10:13 PM
ScoobyDoo

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
If what you are asking is whether or not the quality of these rifles is worth the price, then I would say that they are - they are well made firearms, typically with nice wood. Definitely above average in quality for what you usually get for a 22lr rifle. They also have decent triggers, are reliable, shoot accurately, and have man-size proportions (as opposed to those 22s geared towards youngsters). After that, it is up to you whether you prefer the look, feel, and other intangibles of these fine rifles. I think they are worth paying $650 (you should be able to get one in very good shape for that much). If you are looking for a classic, and classy, 22lr rifle that isn't your dime a dozen 10/22 and are you comfortable spending that kind of money then I would say definitely worth it.
Old 03-12-2018, 11:51 AM
Camster

TPC Rating: 
99% (54)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
Semi-autos recently sold on Gunbroker ranged from a low of $341 to a high of $1230 (!!!). Most were in the $560-$800 range. For example, three mag-fed Japanese versions with the deluxe style stock (rosewood fore end & pistol grip cap, butt pad) sold for $605-$706; two of those had scopes. One early Italian version with a plain wood stock sold for $341.

Are the guns worth $650? They are if people will pay that, or more. But the real question is, are they worth that to you?
Plus 1. You pay according to the value to you.No one else,unless you're all wrapped up in resale value, which frankly doesn't make all that much sense,as we all buy plenty of things without regard to selling it one day,so why do we need every penny back from a gun that will give enjoyment in the interim?.. Plenty of guns are worth a premium to me. Plenty of guns I wouldn't want for half price.
Whatever gun you buy, go for a high condition example.
Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I'm with Camster on this. These guns are definitely a beautiful rifle and shoot well but only worth it if its what you want. The thing about a cosmetically beautiful gun is if it is damaged or marked up a lot of the premium value goes out the window. Many years ago I had 3 custom rifles and a beautiful mk xxll that were all damaged by a friend in a little accident. I loved the beauty in them and once damaged It bothered me so much I got rid of them.

I'm beyond this now and I don't collect guns any more I use them. The Weatherby I have now is the prettiest one I have ever had and it has a few little marks on it, I don't worry if I put more on it as I am going to use it and not worry about it. If you shoot one that functions properly which mine always have, you will really enjoy it. We do get caught up in price but if you shoot much you will spend far more on ammo than you will ever loose on your rifle when you resale it.

Good luck
Old 03-12-2018, 07:53 PM
bassfan334

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabin22 View Post
You have to be more specific. Which types of Mark XXII did you find? There was only one bolt version but those would be priced well above $650. However, there are several versions of the XXII semi-auto made by different manufacturers over the years, and those prices would vary.

You can do a quick check on Gunbroker for completed sales to give you an idea, or read some of the threads in this forum.
to be honest I didn't know there were that many versions of this rifle. all I know is it was semi automatic and it was not tube fed. I just yesterday found out there were Belgian and Japanese made rifles. I don't know where it was made. I just didn't know there was that much to it
Old 03-13-2018, 07:30 AM
cabin22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This will come in handy for your research. See post #2 in this thread.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...=serial+number

The later bolt versions were only made for a few years, 2007 until 2010/2011 maybe, all had Anschutz Model 64 actions in those beautiful Weatherby stocks.

Last edited by cabin22; 03-13-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:05 PM
22-Rimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think they are about the finest semi-auto 22 rifle ever made. Yes, they are worth $650 assuming they shoot and aren't beat up. As said, the Anshutz made ones cost more.
Old 06-02-2018, 01:40 AM
426NUT

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lgs has one

Great northern guns in Alaska has a nice automatic on the rack. Give them a call at 907-joe-3006.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:30 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I handled an older Italian version of the semi auto XXII with a magazine. I though the stock was more tastefully finished. Other may not agree, but; we can agree they look different. Mechanically it appears to be the same design and metal work as the Japanese XXII. I expect they both equally function well.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:45 AM
Lawyerman

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have a clip fed model with the Weatherby scope on it that I am selling locally. It's in very good condition, not perfect but very good. It was made I believe in 1968. I'm asking $650 for it.

I came to that number based on surveying several auction sites, watching what things sold for over a couple of months. So, yea, I think that's what they will bring these days. Apparently several other sellers agree....