Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:46 PM
lemonranch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nikko Kodensha MK XXII

Hi all,

I've been looking for a japanese MKXXII to round out the collection.I just got to lay hands on a late '70s box magazine MKXXII that I purchased from out of state, beautiful wood and metal and looks to be very lightly used. I still have to wait 10 more days until I can take it home.

Anyways, I have been shooting a late 60's Italian MK XXII for years, my grandpa bought it new and gave it to me when I was in high school around 1986. It functions perfectly with just about anything I run through it, much to the detriment of the local ground squirrel population, a tack driver. If I could only keep one rifle in the safe, it would be this gun.

Right off the bat, I noticed the larger ejection port, different rear sight, tab magazine release, and square hole mag on the Japanese gun. Fit and finish appears very nice.

Any thoughts on the Nikko guns vs the Berettas?, do they shoot as nice as the italian ones? Any other differences than those I mentioned?

Just curious, and I will give a full comparison once I get some range time with them both.
Old 05-13-2018, 06:22 AM
cabin22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I look forward to your comparison. I have an older Italian Mark XXII, but that is my only semi-auto Mark XXII. Unlike yours, mine is not a tack driver, but fun to shoot nonetheless. Not many of these guns around. Glad you got one in good condition.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:55 AM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I have had several of the Italian rifles and now have a Japanese model and an Early Italian in all Walnut. I can't say I feel there is any drastic difference in how they shoot. I don't like the looks of the all walnut model as well and the aluminum bottom metal seems to loose it's color on those but that's the main differences I have seen. Accuracy wise I think they are great for squirrel hunting but I have many bolt actions that will outshoot them, a lot of that is it is light weight and does not sit in my rest quite as well. I think you will really enjoy yours and can't wait to see pictures of it.

Old 05-14-2018, 09:24 PM
lemonranch

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies, it sounds like the Nikko MKXXII should be a good shooter.
I might look for the tube fed version down the road, just to round things out, I don't like the looks quite as much as the box mag versions, but I have heard that they work great and no need to buy $60-$80 magazines

My Italian rifle has a little of the bubbling finish and the anodizing has lightened on the bottom metal too.

I'll put up pics and a report when I get it home