Will people be dumping their earlier Mark Rugers to get the Mark IV - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-25-2016, 09:48 PM
Sub sailor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Will people be dumping their earlier Mark Rugers to get the Mark IV

I have noticed a few local gun shops now have more used Mark I, II and III pistols for sale. I think many people are getting rid of the earlier pistols due to disassembly/reassembly frustration, and are going with the easier to clean Mark IV pistols. This might even drive down the prices for the earlier pistols. What do all of you think?
Old 10-25-2016, 09:59 PM
tbarinpa
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Just my opinion, but I suspect the price of the remaining MK3s will drop to "clearance" price level. I've been around long enough to remember when the MK3s came out, there was little improvement and with the mag drop issue many reasons not to go to the MK3. Many people clung to the MK2s.

MK4 seems to be a game changer since the single largest issue has been fixed along with those small aggravations common with the 3s.

I will consider getting one, although I already have two MK2s. I would never bother with getting a 3 all these years they were on the market.

I had the same question you asked, and I'm interested how this all turns out. In a few months we'll know.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:15 PM
ammo.crafter
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

The IV looks great and Ruger actually brought out a MK that has true improvements.

But...I have way too much invested in my MK I to pick up the 4...at this time.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:46 PM
rosscoe

TPC Rating: 
100% (35)
MK11's still rule. The bolt stays open after last shot,thats all I care about!
I'm not "dumping" any of my older models!

Last edited by rosscoe; 10-25-2016 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:51 PM
Belvedere65
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I'm with you Roscoe, my II stays with me till the end.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ruger .22.jpg (35.6 KB, 141 views)
Old 10-26-2016, 06:53 PM
fun2drive

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will not be "dumping" my MK1 I have owned since 1975 for any new Ruger automatic .22. I see no point to it...
Old 10-27-2016, 12:34 PM
C.C.
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscoe View Post
MK11's still rule. The bolt stays open after last shot,thats all I care about!
I'm not "dumping" any of my older models!
Old 10-27-2016, 12:37 PM
Snowwolfe
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a Mark III Hunter. Doubt I will sell it because it had to go back to Ruger to be repaired right out of the box and now it runs pretty good.
Just purchased a Mark IV Hunter, LOVE the left handed safety. Might end up buying a new Hunter as well.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:55 PM
FredVK
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I will be buying a MKIV in addition to keeping my MKIIs, all of which have been upgraded - sears, triggers, sights, grips, etc. My MKIIs are already better than any MKIV I could buy. Most people that still own the older MKs are by now pretty adept at taking them down and reassembling. I don't mind a bit of extra time and effort although for some I'm sure its still a hassle. For a new MK buyer, the MKIV is definitely the way to go. Ruger went from the worst field strip to the best with that new push button takedown. Sometime in the future I will get one. But my MKIIs are keepers. Now if I could only have a MKII Government Target Model with that MKIV push button takedown.................

Last edited by FredVK; 10-26-2016 at 11:01 PM.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 AM
gregbenner

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My Rugers ( and VCs are not my favorite target pistols, although I do like them and shoot them. As little as they are worth, the hassle to sell, along with many other reasons prohibit me from EVER selling ANY gun.

Once the aftermarket and Ruger make enough stuff available I will likely get one at some point, but it I don't see why or how it will be any " better" than the three I already have? If someone can't or won't learn how to field strip their existing gun, and want to "dump it" to get one they can, I guess that makes sense nHowever, for the price of the FFL transfer fee alone, if for no other reason, I would just learn how to clean the one I had?? And that is ignoring any updates or improvements I might have already made. AFAIK, the Mark 4 is not a superior gun, nor is it an upscale gun ( e.g. S&W41, Victor, etc).

Buying one makes sense, dumping an older one to do it seems irrational.

Last edited by gregbenner; 10-26-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:02 PM
541X

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredVK View Post
I will be buying a MKIV in addition to keeping my MKIIs, all of which have been upgraded - sears, triggers, grips, etc. Most people that still own the older MKs are by now pretty adept at taking them down and reassembling. I don't mind a bit of extra time and effort although for some I'm sure its still a hassle. For a new MK buyer, the MKIV is definitely the way to go. Ruger went from the worst field strip to the best with that new push button takedown. Sure sold me on buying one. Now if I could only have a MKII Government Target Model with the MKIV push button takedown.................
Exactly................
Old 10-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Geo22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Talking .???

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticalscience View Post
I will be dumping mine and a volquartsen frame to get a MK IV. I don't see any reason not to.
45 style, Suppressed, Valquartsen build, and shooting golf balls at 50 yards, that is sweet, accuracy in an older guys hand (63yrs) can't be beat. Just my 2 cents. Each his own!
Old 10-26-2016, 03:43 PM
catbird

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Not I. On the other hand, I would buy a MkIV Hunter if they start offering it with threaded muzzle. I emailed Ruger's customer service this week asking them to offer that option. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-26-2016, 04:18 PM
beesouth
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sure hope so...
Old 10-26-2016, 04:13 PM
johnt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I too will keep my MarkIII SS Hunter but would consider a MarkIV with a threaded barrel if they ever start making them.