Cheap Red Dots - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:07 AM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)

When I first got into reddots I tried an NC-Star, cheap. It lasted about 2 years and it did fine until the lens popped out. So don't go with something just because it is cheap. I also had a BSA tube type but it was too big for my ruger MKII pistol, so I gave it to a friend for his shotgun.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:02 PM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The $7 Daisy lasted well and held POA until the power switch broke off of it.

Bushnell TRS-25 does fine on my FAL. AT3 RD-50 on my 9mm AR and Ruger Mk II. Had a Primary Arms unit comparable to both of them but it died a month out of warranty and no help from PA ...

Need to buy one or two more for other guns, will be the AT3 RD-50 unit for rifles (2moa dot) and hte TRS-25 is going to be moved to the Ruger Mk II (3moa dot, just that much easier to pick up and use at arms length on a wobbly handgun)
Old 05-18-2019, 10:08 PM
ammohog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Browning Buck Mark Reflex Sight. Got the first one, came in a little brown box, went bad after a brick. Sent it back (SportsmansGuide) and they refunded. After looking around for about a week, they went on sale for about $35 ea. I ordered two (came in the blister pack this time) and they have been awesome. I have one on the Buckmark Hunter, and the other is on the MkIV Competition. They are covered by Browning for two years, I kept my receipt. So far, so good, and it's been at least a year. They track well and hold zero. The circle with the dot in the middle seems to be a lot smaller than 3 MOA. What's not to like? If they go bad, I've got my eye on the Vortex with the life time warranty. I really like the Browning reflex red dot sight.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:46 AM
redlightrich

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a cheap one, that LOOKS LIKE Chasers pix, but certainly is not. It has red and green dots, 3moa, and 4 different reticle types.
I bought them from Flea Day, and paid 16 dollars each, including shipping. After I tried one, I bought 3 more.

Yes, it holds zero fine. They do have locking screws. No they aren't top quality. They are probably China garbage, but it does work.

I have one on my MkIII, that has well over 10000 rounds thru it, with no change in zero. I will say, the weakness appears to be the rotary switch, which at times loosens, and it will not power on. The fix, is to take out the battery, and make a makeshift spanner wrench to tighten the retaining ring under the battery. In all the years I own it, I changed the battery once. I used it yesterday, and still fine.

I gave one away and the recipient of that gift is very happy with his too. It is also on a .22 pistol.
I don't have any center fire experience with the el cheapo dot sights.

I will say, I have had such good luck with the full size dot sights, I am considering trying the cheap mini dot sights.

My opinion is, you probably spend more on a fast food lunch for 2, so if it doesn't do what you wished it would, you aren't bad off.

Let us know what you get

Rich
Old 05-19-2019, 10:51 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGunner View Post
I still have one that my son uses, he likes it quite a bit...

Iím the opposite of you, I prefer tubes.

Chase-

Have you ever tried an Ultradot U25?

DrGunner
Yes Sirree... I have tried at least 3 or 4.. not the UD U25 tho... need to see if I can find one locally to check it out.. The ones I have tried were O.K. but the panoramic view ability of the reflex trumps all others in my op. - for running Jackrabbits the Reflex really is a bunch better.. Baskin Robbins 31 flavors thing I guess.. diff strokes/diff folks.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:13 PM
Mmorton9

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the opinions. Have not bought one yet as a friend gave me a TruGlo reflex unit. 5 settings red and 5 settings green. Don’t know if I like it or not. When on the higher settings it does not appear as a dot but a circle of dots. Don’t know if it’s supposed to do this or if something is wrong. Thanks again
Old 05-23-2019, 10:41 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (74)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
You need to run ANY of the red dot optics as low as possible given the lighting conditions. Dark or dim lit/overcast you will run it pretty low.. brighter/full sun you will run it higher... use it with BOTH eyes open.. takes practice and until you get focused wink your weak eye.. your dominant eye takes over.

Last edited by Chaser; 05-24-2019 at 09:58 AM.