Sling instead of a brace - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:50 PM
plumberroy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sling instead of a brace

I picked up a charger a while back. I know the rage is to add a brace, but for my use a brace would add enough bulk, length and weight I might as well carry a rifle. I decided to make my charger into a mini squirrel sniper. In researching ways to mount a sling I found Stark equipment makes a AR grip with a hook mount coming straight out the back. I removed the bi-pod and mount leaving the sling swivel in front a snap on the back of the sling make for a quick way to detach from the gun. I have a bass Pro brand 3 x 9 rifle scope on it . I carry the gun under my right arm (lefty) I can rotate the gun up with the sling coming over my left shoulder to just above my left hand and from the right side to the front sling mount plus both hands makes 4 points of contact and very stable for free hand nearly as steady as a rifle a lefty safety and extended magazine release rounds out my build I also use 10 round mags for hunting
Old 05-19-2019, 10:12 PM
Corsica Coatings
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just tried something like you described and it certainly steadied the gun but not near as well as the brace. Maybe it's a learned experience but I sure like the modified AK stock swinger I put on my brace. Folded up it's the same size as the stock Charger plus 1.5" and unfolded the gun is very steady, just like a rifle stock.

Neat idea though.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:21 AM
plumberroy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
They don't teach people to use a sling properly now days unless you are into formal target shooting. In times past it was taught as basic part of shooting. The grip with sling mount high is what makes this work. I have seen both long barreled revolvers and contenders have sling mounts to carry under the off side arm, but the rear sling mount is in the butt of the grip and that torques the barrel up if you put tension on the sling
If I want to add 1.5 to the length of the charger would want it on the barrel and the stock folded over would make it thicker under you arm when carrying. Everything has trade offs we just have find what works for us individually

Old 05-20-2019, 12:31 PM
plumberroy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
picture of sling setup
Old 05-22-2019, 01:14 PM
scottycoyote
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
i have a charger im converting to hm2 with the same idea, a nice light squirrel rig i could keep in the car. i want to be able to reach out a little further since its hm2, so i need some way to stabilize.

I too have been thinking of doing something with a brace or a sling.....i recall seeing videos of a guy on youtube shooting a charger with a small single point sling coming off the back of the grip (pushing out hard against the sling to stabilize the gun). Im going to try that first and if it doesnt work im going the brace route.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 PM
mac66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When AR pistols became a thing before the invention of the pistol brace I shot mine with single point sling off a swivel at the rear of the buffer tube. It worked pretty well until I figured out that you could just use the buffer tube for support and then the pistol brace came out.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:36 PM
plumberroy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stark equipment makes that grip . The ring for the hook coming high off the back of the grip is key to helping stabilize the hold. I got it off Ebay for around $35
Old 06-08-2019, 08:57 AM
Mnlefty
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Plumberroy like your setup. I just got the same Charger yesterday. Will set mine up with Burris 4x12 Target rifle scope I have and also try my Ultra Dot 30mm. I like your grip so will find and order one with hook. Iím thinking single point sling. Also a lefty will go left hand safety. Glad I saw your post.
Old 06-08-2019, 12:13 PM
Boomer...

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I received my own new Charger 2 days ago (Talo 04919 purchased from Bud's online) and I'm setting it up to suit my preferences. No intentions of replacing the stock nor buffer tube brace. Unsure whether a sling at some point.

I received the ordered Ruger BX-Trigger assy (which I'll install this afternoon) plus a 2nd BX-15 mag. Also ordered a replacement grip, however not the mentioned Stark. Instead, I'm following the lead from the grip comparisons within the comprehensive Gunsumer Reports 5-part article published 4 yrs ago, which shows the CAA UPG16 grip chosen as best fit in figure 23. If you haven't viewed these articles, IMO its well worth the time. I did notice from that article that the shape of A2 grip currently being installed is somewhat different than 4 yrs ago, i.e., no finger ridges as before. The CAA grip is no longer stocked by most online suppliers, however I bought mine online from Gun Holsters Unlimited for $22 + shipping. They still show 30+ in stock.
New Ruger 22 Charger Review
Part 3

Upon receipt of my new Charger, I also noticed that the beige soft case formerly furnished with non-takedown models wasn't included, so I wrote Bud's asking if others in their stock likewise were without that soft case. A Bud's customer service rep called Ruger directly and inquired and was told that the beige case hadn't been included since 2017 whereas mine was shipped this year 2019 as was also indicated by the serial number. Instead, I just bought the newer and nicer Ruger soft case from S&P Outfitters. Seems I got their last one in stock. Links provided upon request.