New Archangel 10/22 stock - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2019, 04:06 PM
Mchell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New Archangel 10/22 stock

Well, after deliberating, I decided to try the promag Archangel stock. Here’s my review with some groups:

The stock was initially too tight for my 90”s all weather receiver. Spent at least 3hrs fitting and grinding to my satisfaction.

Absolutely love the comfort and features of this stock!!!...very natural to me offhand or benched.

Still finding its sweet spots and what the action likes as far as torque and upward barrel pressure.

Gun is a stock 90”s all weather with chamber and bolt re-worked by CPC

Groups pictured are towards end of day after I was figuring some things out. Nothing spectacular, but it’s a start.

50 yard, 5shot groups, benched, bipod, no bags, calm winds, 79F

CCI sv ammo

Seemed to like the stock free floated....further testing will be needed...

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0lyf...North_Port,_FL

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0f6S...North_Port,_FL

Last edited by Mchell; 03-18-2019 at 06:38 PM. Reason: Better pic
Old 03-19-2019, 12:45 PM
Desert J
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Looks good

Just got mine in but havent had a chance to install it yet, hopefully this weekend!
Old 03-19-2019, 05:33 PM
Mchell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Please post your fitment results.....had a couple guys next to me at the range that were using these stocks with no fitting issues whatsoever. They were using aftermarket receivers though.

Mine on the other hand required A LOT of fitting.... I expected this and enjoyed playing with it but itís not for everyone.

Every time I shoot with this stock I marvel at how comfortable it is... just has that perfect feel for me.

Good luck on your build

Old 03-26-2019, 11:22 AM
Desert J

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well got it in this weekend and it did need some sanding in the magwell, specifically towards the release area, but only took about 10 minutes. I can pull the action in and out without issue so guess I got lucky with it!
Old 03-26-2019, 05:24 PM
Mchell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Excellent......what receiver are you using?

Wonder is there are differences between aftermarket vs stock vs older and newer stock receivers etc...

Mine couldnít be pounded in with a hammer if I tried.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2019, 11:11 AM
Desert J

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Used my oldest 90's ruger receiver, I have a kidd but its in a titan with the rear anchor so dont want to pull all that off to try in this stock.

Did notice last night that it seems the magwell has shrunk again some as the mag does not drop free anymore as it was on Sunday, guess Ill have to try sanding it again.
Old 03-28-2019, 05:36 PM
Mchell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Iíve heard these are hit and miss for fit.....mine is a 90ís all weather receiver, shouldnít be much different than yours

I worked the mag well over A LOT as I wonít tolerate fighting to get a mag out....
Old 05-07-2019, 07:41 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert J View Post
Did notice last night that it seems the magwell has shrunk again some as the mag does not drop free anymore as it was on Sunday, guess Ill have to try sanding it again.
\

That's what that flat stock material does. It has to be tight to keep the receiver from moving.

A flat toothpick or zip tie used as a shim will let your magazines drop free without ruining your stock.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:58 AM
n2omike
Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Can't see your photos.
I also have some Archangel Precision stocks on my guns... not sure if they are the same ones or not. I had to use a rasp and do a LOT of material removal in the mag well to get the mags to drop out with a push of the button. Almost all of mine required this... and these were units purchased over time. Very comfortable stock. The material is solid colored, not painted... so removing material doesn't make it look bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG30zJ9Sz-8

They're pretty heavy, but very comfortable... as they can be adjusted to fit about anyone. (cheek riser and length of pull) The fit to the receiver is GREAT. The mag well is just tight and needs some material hogged out of it. Available in multiple colors, and usually around $110-ish shipped.

Last edited by n2omike; 05-07-2019 at 11:02 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 12:12 PM
Lokipaux

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the Archangel Precision Adjustable stock. I also had difficulty in the magazines dropping freely. I called Archangel and they suggested using a heat gun to warm the area and then a wedge to spread the magwell out a small amount.

I did this and used the handle of a crescent wrench to put pressure on the opening as I waved the heat gun over the area. As the handle would become loose I would force it in a bit more. I would stop and check the magazine fit intermittently to see if further adjustment was needed. This was a permanent fix.

I did have to do some Dremel work in the area below the V-block to adjust the fit. I love the stock. I have used it several times in the Precision Rimfire Challenge and it works well with bags and bipods as well as offhand.
Old 05-09-2019, 04:25 AM
pshooter1
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Magwell is drop-free. The release needed fitting (pin hole alignment) to work reliably though. That was easily done once I saw what the issue was.
The stock fit is very tight.
The only thing that stumped me was the barrel pressure pad. I am unable to fit that under my heavy barrel (.920), so free-floating is my only option. That was mildly disappointing as I wanted to experiment with various location's and pressures.
Otherwise I really like this stock!
Old 05-19-2019, 06:47 PM
Kirk_STNY

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My stock wouldn't allow the mag to drop
I sent it back to the Archangel. The replacement was worse. Called them again. The rep said they will send another. Except this time it will be sent to R&D to make sure it works correctly.

With my first one I did try to expand the well using a hair dryer. I didn't want to take a chance on ruining anything by using my heat gun.

Haven't received the replacement yet.

Ruger 10/22 / Henry 17 HMR
Old 05-29-2019, 07:15 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The issue I have with mine is it doesn't seem to hold zero at all. I am using it to practice for highpower matches and am using a tight sling.

Zero seems to shift from 1 1/2 minutes right to 1 1/2 minutes left. Drives me nuts.
Old 06-01-2019, 06:03 AM
zukiphile
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72coupe View Post
The issue I have with mine is it doesn't seem to hold zero at all. I am using it to practice for highpower matches and am using a tight sling.

Zero seems to shift from 1 1/2 minutes right to 1 1/2 minutes left. Drives me nuts.
Have you tried removing the pressure pad, or moving it to the rearward position?
Old 06-01-2019, 02:32 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no upward tension on it. It is a Shilen bull profile barrel. I have changed the scope in hopes that will fix my problem. At least that one aspect of my problems.

Thanks for the tip. I will try that next.