Razor 10/22 Magnum Main Spring tension adjustment Knob - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-10-2019, 01:18 PM
cncmerman2
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cool Razor 10/22 Magnum Main Spring tension adjustment Knob

After buying my Razor 1022 magnum receiver I didn't like the idea of having to cut, stretch, plug, shorten mixn match and fiddle with every possible spring combination to get this thing to cycle correctly. There had to be a better way to adjust this thing. So I took a break from the receiver to reload some 7.62x54R for my PSL, and while looking at the powder adjustment screw on the Hornady powder measure the Idea came to me. A Threaded Adjustment Knob to increase or decrease the spring tension to help with tuning. Here is what I came up with:

(1) 5/16-24 Internal, 7/16-20 External Thread Locking Repair Insert
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/06847347

(1) 5/16-24 fully threaded cap screw

(1) 5/16-24 jam nut

(2) 22 Magnum Main Spring Follower

(1) boltspring
https://shop-ruger1022receiver-com.3...ower_p_36.html

Instructions
1. plug both ends of the spring with the mainspring followers into receiver
2. Screw in the thread locking repair insert which replaces the original set screw
3 Screw in the 5/16-24 screw with nut into repair insert.

now that it's all set up, use the screw to tighten the tension until the cases start to eject in the desired pattern. you may have to trim the screw once or swap it for a heavier spring to get desired results. Once you get it right, just lock down that nut against the receiver and your gun is set. I think you can ever leave it cocked indefinitely without the worry of losing spring tension since you can adjust it again if needed.

David

Last edited by cncmerman2; 05-24-2019 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:47 PM
cncmerman2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
picture of set up

Here is current setup of my Razor Build. After reading several posts and determining for myself that spring pressure alone isnt what's needed for reliability but also bolt Mass. I went ahead and cut up an new double sided bolt handle and machined a slot on the other side of the receiver to allow for dual bolt manipulation and adjustable weight increase. The handle has 2 threaded hole on each side, that is where I should be able to add and leaded core weighted Nob. I got this Idead from Roberts 1022 magnum build.

The tapped holes you see on top and bottem of the receiver is to aid in barrel droop. When I machined the hole for the barrel, my Milling machine slightly jerked causing the hole to be slightly oval and oversized. So I made the hole a little bigger and shimmed a sleeve on the barrel to make a precise fit. Now I am able to adjust the droop just by torquing down on the set screws
Attached Images
File Type: jpg spring and nut.jpg (40.0 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg receiver side.jpg (49.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg dual bolt.jpg (51.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg droop.jpg (27.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg receiver side.2 jpg.jpg (47.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 03:57 PM
cncmerman2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I remachined the bolt face and now has depth of .0375

I remachined the bolt face and now has depth of .0375. average rim thickness of all cases are .042-.043. I did this with the feeling that OOB detonation and puffed up case rim will occur less if there was more pressure pressed up against the case rim instead of a snug chamber headspace. I know that The chances of a slam fire might increase upon cycling but we'll just have to see about that when when we get there. Now we just have to make a custom extractor since the bolt faced is pushed back a bit, and will not properly extract or hold cases.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1 bolt faced to .038.jpg (67.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg extractor error.jpg (44.4 KB, 1 views)

Old 05-25-2019, 04:07 PM
cncmerman2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I sacrificed a machinist parallel that has a missing twin to make the extractor. They're made out of hardened steel and make great replacement parts if you know how to dremel safely and have steady working hands. I also made a new extractor plunger/extractor retainer out of an old drill bit. If a OOB detonation happens, I wont lose the extractor because it's held in place by this little notch cut
Attached Images
File Type: jpg outline cut.jpg (28.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg pregrind.jpg (32.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg extractor and locking pin.jpg (128.6 KB, 2 views)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:13 PM
cncmerman2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
here's the finished rework of the Razor bolt with new dremeled extractor. Now it's able to hold the cases firmly with the new headspace it's received. Now it's time to check feeding and extraction and see where it needs to be ground and polished at
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finish product.jpg (69.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg extractor fix.jpg (33.7 KB, 5 views)