Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette vs D3 Precision Silhouette Rings - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-03-2019, 08:33 PM
DrGunner
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette vs D3 Precision Silhouette Rings

Hey gang- I caught a thread on SteelChickens.com about silhouette scope rings written by member jbolt on that site. Heís not a member here, so I asked & received his permission to copy & paste his post here, for your edification

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolt on SteelChickens.com
Just posting for information sake.

Morr Edge Silhouette:

$85 shipped. Mine took two weeks to get with no confirmation on shipping. Each ring with screws weights 25.4 grams (0.9 oz). They came unfinished with minimal to no deburring so tool marks are visible and the use of a fine jewelers file was necessary before mounting. The bases needed to be spread to fit on the 1712 scope rail. This took a bit of effort to do. Once on the rail they are very solid. I didn't measure but the base screw appears to be a #8 and the ring screws are #6 so two different hex keys are required to install.

D3 Precision 1.5" tall x 11mm base:

$50 + $7.90 shipping. Ordered on a Friday and had them by Monday. Each ring with screws weighs 34.05 grams (1.2 oz). They came deburred with minimal tool marks, anodized black and ready to install. The base uses a clamping bar with two screws. The clamping bar is blued steel. Installed they are also very solid. The base screws are 4mm and the ring screws are 3mm so these also require more than one hex key.

Both rings fit true on the scope body with no need for lapping.

The shape of the Morr rings is aesthetically more pleasing but for the cost I would expect them to be deburred and anodized in either clear or black.

Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette Rings, $85, only available in bare 6061 aluminum alloy:

http://www.morraccuracy.com/store/c2...26_Levels.html

D3 Precision Rings, $50 on EBay, Black anodized:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scope-Rings...L1vAbv4osjSJgg

Hope this helps-

DrGunner

Last edited by DrGunner; 05-03-2019 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:37 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I ordered Edge Silhouette rings 2 weeks ago, before I found out about D3 rings this week on RFC. I ordered a set right away, so now I have both. I spent $85 on the Morr Accuracy Edge Silhouette rings and was kind of disappointed to see tooling marks on them when they arrived. I suppose that does not matter, as I plan to have them anodized but it is kind of disappointing that I could not order them in black to begin with. A side-by-side comparison has already been done here, I am mounting a scope on my 1712 tonight using the D3 rings. They definitely appear to be stouter, and are very well-made with an excellent finish, perfect fit on the scope tube with no lapping necessary. In the future I will probably go with the D3 rings, while I prefer the aesthetics of those by Morr Accuracy, $85 plus a two week wait plus the hassle and expense of having them anodized or Cerakoted when there is a $50 alternative thatís prefinished and arrives in 3 days makes the choice easy.
Iíll likely mount my EFR with the Morr Accuracy offering, and mount my Sightron on my backup rifle as well as my FX3 30X on the D3 rings.

DrGunner
Old 05-03-2019, 08:58 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
97% (58)
Hey Doc, might be a stupid question but I've always seen sihlouette rifles with high rings like this. Just curious why all the towering rings? Other disciplines usually recommend line of sight should as close to the bore axis as possible. Don't want to derail the thread but just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Old 05-03-2019, 09:32 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ring1 View Post
Hey Doc, might be a stupid question but I've always seen sihlouette rifles with high rings like this. Just curious why all the towering rings? Other disciplines usually recommend line of sight should as close to the bore axis as possible. Don't want to derail the thread but just wondering.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
No derailment at all, that’s a perfectly legitimate query.

Close to the bore axis is supposed to reduce parallax issues, and that idea applies more to BR shooting. I used to think that, too- but time and experience have taught me that if my rifle is set up properly, the comfort and fit of my setup matter more. Raising the scope height for offhand shooting has advantages.

You want your head as vertical as you can get, plus- think about it more as you are “lowering the rifle” as you raise the scope. It’s much easier to hold my rifle stable with taller rings. My former setup was Warne bases, which raised my rings about .2” above the dovetail rail, with my scope mounted on Warne QD Ultra High rings, which are .935” from rail top to scope bottom. The problem with them is WEIGHT. They’re 2.9oz each, while the Edge Silhouette rings are .9oz each and the D3s 1.2oz.

You won’t know how much better your setup will feel and perform for you unless you actually try higher rings. If you have a picatinny rail setup, you can easily buy a 1/2’ or 3/4’ lightweight aluminum riser for dirt cheap to test out what I’m saying.

I don’t know if it will help you as much as it helped me, but I’ve found that the higher I mounted my scope, my scores improved, as did my confidence.
It especially becomes a noticeable aid when shooting 80 shot silhouette matches.

FYI- both brands of rings above raise the scope to 1.45”, within .05” of the NRA Smallbore silhouette maximum height of 1.5’.

Regards,

DrGunner
Old 05-03-2019, 10:20 PM
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Funny, I was wondering the same thing. Are there any videos to show what you are talking about?
Old 05-03-2019, 11:24 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grg View Post
Funny, I was wondering the same thing. Are there any videos to show what you are talking about?
Not that I know of, Iím just speaking from my own experience shooting silhouette for the last three-four years, and information that Iíve gleaned talking to other shooters and competitors in the discipline.
Old 05-04-2019, 08:29 AM
Cstar

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have two sets of the Morr rings. Other than being a little tight fitting on the rail I am pleased with the application. Very secure and no questions about meeting the rules for height. I was unaware of a competing product at the time so wasnít tempted to consider a lower cost option.

As to the higher mount...I find it much more comfortable for offhand shooting. Better for me to raise the gun to eye level than to lower my head to scope level. Itís just more comfortable and causes far less strain, which for me, effects steadiness.

Corky
Old 05-04-2019, 09:51 AM
jbolt001

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just to add to DrGunner's reply on scope height.

Many silhouette shooters cant the scope in the rings so when the rifle is shouldered the scope is rolled toward the shooters eye for the cross hair to be level. This also aids in keeping the head straight. Keeping your head straight helps with overall balance.

The downside to tall rings is the reduced cheek weld on the stock comb.

Body proportions often dictate what works for each individual so it takes time and experience to build the stance and rifle fit. Even then it may evolve over time as experience is gained and one determines what does or does not work for them.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:34 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cstar View Post
I have two sets of the Morr rings. Other than being a little tight fitting on the rail I am pleased with the application. Very secure and no questions about meeting the rules for height. I was unaware of a competing product at the time so wasnít tempted to consider a lower cost option.

As to the higher mount...I find it much more comfortable for offhand shooting. Better for me to raise the gun to eye level than to lower my head to scope level. Itís just more comfortable and causes far less strain, which for me, effects steadiness.

Corky
Well said, sir- thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolt001 View Post
Just to add to DrGunner's reply on scope height.

Many silhouette shooters cant the scope in the rings so when the rifle is shouldered the scope is rolled toward the shooters eye for the cross hair to be level. This also aids in keeping the head straight. Keeping your head straight helps with overall balance.

The downside to tall rings is the reduced cheek weld on the stock comb.

Body proportions often dictate what works for each individual so it takes time and experience to build the stance and rifle fit. Even then it may evolve over time as experience is gained and one determines what does or does not work for them.
jbolt001- thanks for posting this on SteelChickens.com and for the added info here.
I think youíll find RFC is a great community of helpful folks with plenty of info to share.

Welcome!

DrGunner
Old 05-09-2019, 01:09 PM
Eric2U

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DrGunner - thanks for all this info. Very useful as I'm going down the same path. It seems like some heavier mounts and rings combined with a 1712 and a Leupold VX-3i 6.5-20x40 efr will put you over 8.5 lbs and I thought Morr was the only game in town. This is good news! - Eric2U
Old 05-22-2019, 06:10 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
With my body build and using the CZ 452 American, I tried the 1-1/2" tall route and was getting a "Jaw," weld instead of a cheek weld. I could adapt, but unable to keep as steady vs using 1" tall and having a cheek weld with my type stock. I still feel comfortable and I don't feel all that squinched up in the neck.

I am one that cant's my rifle too.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:12 PM
Yama

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At our match this past weekend there were a few shooters using the Morr rings. I didn't look too close but they appeared to be finished ok. I was curious because one fellow said they were the lightest available. Aside from the accuracy of that statement, they did look light, as they do in the above photos. My 1712 with Talley lightweight rings and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 BT was almost an ounce over weight for hunter class. Talley's site says their rings are 4 oz. What do the Morrs weigh? The D3s?
Old 05-22-2019, 11:06 PM
DrGunner

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yama View Post
At our match this past weekend there were a few shooters using the Morr rings. I didn't look too close but they appeared to be finished ok. I was curious because one fellow said they were the lightest available. Aside from the accuracy of that statement, they did look light, as they do in the above photos. My 1712 with Talley lightweight rings and a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 BT was almost an ounce over weight for hunter class. Talley's site says their rings are 4 oz. What do the Morrs weigh? The D3s?
That information was posted in the opening post of this thread.

Highlighted in red below to facilitate locating the relevant information:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolt on SteelChickens.com
Just posting for information sake.

Morr Edge Silhouette:

$85 shipped. Mine took two weeks to get with no confirmation on shipping. Each ring with screws weights 25.4 grams (0.9 oz). They came unfinished with minimal to no deburring so tool marks are visible and the use of a fine jewelers file was necessary before mounting. The bases needed to be spread to fit on the 1712 scope rail. This took a bit of effort to do. Once on the rail they are very solid. I didn't measure but the base screw appears to be a #8 and the ring screws are #6 so two different hex keys are required to install.

D3 Precision 1.5" tall x 11mm base:

$50 + $7.90 shipping. Ordered on a Friday and had them by Monday. Each ring with screws weighs 34.05 grams (1.2 oz). They came deburred with minimal tool marks, anodized black and ready to install. The base uses a clamping bar with two screws. The clamping bar is blued steel. Installed they are also very solid. The base screws are 4mm and the ring screws are 3mm so these also require more than one hex key.

Both rings fit true on the scope body with no need for lapping.

The shape of the Morr rings is aesthetically more pleasing but for the cost I would expect them to be deburred and anodized in either clear or black.

Last edited by DrGunner; 05-22-2019 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 AM
Yama

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My old eyes missed that, thanks.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:38 PM
teetertotter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have been communicating with Pete on his 3D rings. He will anodize in different colors, but did not get into it details. He is working in .9 and 1.1 inch heights right now. The 1.1" height, best fits NOT having a jaw weld with my type stock. D3 looks good with its design. Because I have a CZ 452 with a rounded top receiver vs flat top, will the D3 allow for the clearance? The Morr did not and had to send back a couple years ago.

I currently have rings at 1" height and have tried the 1-1/2" height using a riser.

Is this the Dr. Gunner from Sycamore? Or mistake?

Last edited by teetertotter; 05-27-2019 at 12:41 PM.